What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Yes! This is a problem throughout Scrubs. He isn't a flawed but loveable hero, he's just a despicable sack of shit with very few redeeming qualities. He's particularly horrible to Elliott and his brother, and in real life I think just about everyone in his life would have told him to get fucked after giving him 500 second chances.

• Moderators
Chain Letters, in the series link for the last few weeks on Challenge. Two episodes a day, and a great thing to have on in the background, if you're having tea, etc. Dave Spikey is beyond horrendous at presenting it though.

Also, because I've only ever seen maybe half the episodes (and always out of order), I've started watching Scrubs from scratch, as I caught the pilot on E4 a couple of weeks back and decided it was as a good time as any. So far I'm enjoying it loads, but one thing hasn't changed from my opinions as a half-interested fan. Is JD supposed to be cast as the most dislikable twatface ever? What a whining, mugging fucking little scrote. I hate him and wish no happiness to come to his character.

Ted Robbins was best at Chain Letters. And he's a Wrexham supporter, so it's all good.

Scrubs is a strange one for me. I started watching it on ABC1 about 4 years ago, and for a few epsiodes I thought it was alright, then out of the blue I decided that "actually, this is a bit shit". I realised that I didn't like a single character, all the pathos at the end of every episode used to piss me off, and Dr Cox isn't half as great a character as people say he is, the hard but fair and caring superior had been done far better many times, and that really JD would have been smacked in the chops by now.

A few times I've started watching it again, and each time hating it more. It seems more like a dodgy soap opera with "OMGS RANDOMS!" jokes in it to me than a quality sitcom.

The songs in it are shit as well.

Edited by ButchReedMark

• Paid Members
Scrubs is a strange one for me. I started watching it on ABC1 about 4 years ago, and for a few epsiodes I thought it was alright, then out of the blue I decided that "actually, this is a bit shit". I realised that I didn't like a single character, all the pathos at the end of every episode used to piss me off, and Dr Cox isn't half as great a character as people say he is, the hard but fair and caring superior had been done far better many times, and that really JD would have been smacked in the chops by now.

A few times I've started watching it again, and each time hating it more. It seems more like a dodgy soap opera with "OMGS RANDOMS!" jokes in it to me than a quality sitcom.

The songs in it are shit as well.

Blimey, ABC1. There was some shite on there. Unhappily Ever After was probably the worst in that it ripped off Married With Children of all things - but it did have Nikki Cox's pippins to gawp at, so it was okay.

I detest Scrubs. I don't fucking like random comedies and I don't care if it has John McGinley in it - I can always watch him being awesome in Platoon amongst other things.

The music is mostly shit but they did once use Hold On Hope by Guided By Voices on it which is one of my favourite songs of all time, so I'll give them that.

• Moderators
I detest Scrubs. I don't fucking like random comedies and I don't care if it has John McGinley in it - I can always watch him being awesome in Platoon amongst other things.

This might make you feel good then: apparently McGinley is loathed by everyone on set and generally makes life a misery for them. Good stuff!

• Moderators
Blimey, ABC1. There was some shite on there. Unhappily Ever After was probably the worst in that it ripped off Married With Children of all things - but it did have Nikki Cox's pippins to gawp at, so it was okay.

I dunno. You've not lived until you've seen "Golden Girls" spin-off "Empty Nest".

Invested in all 3 series of Ideal staring Johnny Vegas last week. Have just about finished series 1, and it's not too bad!. Some unique characters to say the least, and a decent level of humour mixed with some surreal situations makes it an easy watch. Nothing groundbreaking, and personally i enjoyed Mtv's Stoner Comedy series "Top Buzzer" alot more, but by no means is it shit.

Some of the characters are quite annoying however. Esspecially the "Im on Probation" fella. Was quite funny at first, but very repetitive. Got to say though im loving the characters "Craig" and "Cartoonhead" and hope their individual storylines head somewhere!

Anybody else a fan?

Chain Letters, in the series link for the last few weeks on Challenge. Two episodes a day, and a great thing to have on in the background, if you're having tea, etc. Dave Spikey is beyond horrendous at presenting it though.

Also, because I've only ever seen maybe half the episodes (and always out of order), I've started watching Scrubs from scratch, as I caught the pilot on E4 a couple of weeks back and decided it was as a good time as any. So far I'm enjoying it loads, but one thing hasn't changed from my opinions as a half-interested fan. Is JD supposed to be cast as the most dislikable twatface ever? What a whining, mugging fucking little scrote. I hate him and wish no happiness to come to his character.

Ted Robbins was best at Chain Letters. And he's a Wrexham supporter, so it's all good.

He's also Paul McCartney's second cousin you know....not that he ever mentions that...

Has anybody seen anything of Eastbound and Down? I liked the write up it got in saturdays Guardian and it is on FX over here so I'll give it a shot, HBO whore that I am.

Good find Keith. I'd never heard of it but some googling reveals it's meant to be good (and Handsome Butch's post of course).

I really should keep a closer eye on FX.

I watched the first three episodes of Eastbound and Down, and didn't like it all that much. I didn't warm to the main character at all, and thought there was something missing from it.

I normally love those low-key comedies with unlikeable casts (It's Always Sunny..., Trailer Park Boys) but this was thumbs down from me.

Did anyone watch "Jonathan Meades - Off Kilter" on BBC4? I love Meades, he is one of the few genuine intellects left on TV (albeit, 3 part specials on BBC4). I'm not an architecture expert or anything but he presents it in such a brilliant, intelligent way that it makes for compelling viewing. His camera tricks may be a bit much for people but once I was in Amsterdam and watched one of his shows after taking some lovely Ecuador mushrooms and it was perfection.

Part 3 opens with a funny tour of lower league Scottish football grounds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=jonathan%20meades

• Paid Members
I'm also up to the final episode of House season 5, and while it's pretty gripping, the penultimate episode bored me for some reason. I hope the series finale is as awesome as season 4's.

I can't remember what the penultimate episode is but if it's the one where SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

House finally sleeps with Cuddy

then the last episode is strangely heart wrenching in comparison. I'm guessing you've already watched it by now and it was really quite obvious, if you thought about it, yet completely took me by surprise.

Edited by JLM