UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

When Sable got the kayfabe sack in 1998 from Marc Mero, she got her job back because Vince hired her back on some sort of special services contract. She even sat with the big man at KOTR 1998 in his skybox, then on Raw then night she was on commentary and even introduced Vince's newest signing, a fucked up William Regal. When on commentary JR pressed her about the relationship and contract with Vince and she said she wasn't aloud to talk about it at the time. Did they ever resolve or go more into this angle. I assume maybe they wanted to go and say she was sucking Vince off or he was smacking her doors in and someone thought that might damage her appeal.

You know Vince would want people to think he was, most lads wanted Sable in 98. Looking back it's astonishing, she looked hot, but a bit of a mess. 2003 Sable always wins.

• Paid Members

It was all just an angle to jump on and increase her popularity and push the Playboy thing, wasn't it? Associating her with the Evil Vince, he would sort of 'corporate' her up. The payoff coming at Fully Loaded in the bikini contest when Vince would insist she wear something classy and respectful and she defied his orders and went with the infamous hand prints. Great angle and great payoff actually. They used a few tricks to push her and give her the rub from the mega-over Vince vs Austin feud, with her donning Stone Cold apparel at one point too. I don't think there was ever supposed to be anything more to the 'special services' contract, just to imply that it gave Vince a level of power over her that he was going to abuse.

The German feed of Raw plays WWE videos during the breaks. There's one that starts with clips of Edge and Ric Flair retiring, then Triple H crying about Eddie Guerrero being dead, then just breaks into a montage of stuff like Kofi putting Orton through a table, DX impersonating the McMahons, Mark Henry and Mae Young on GTV and various random nonsense. It doesn't make any sense. Was this part of Raw 1000 (a lot of the videos they play in the breaks are from Raw 1000 or the weeks following), or did German Sky just edit this weird montage together?

No, wrestling was really hot over here in 2005 and it died on its arse. Channel 4 didn't want anything to do with the WWF in 2000, so Celebrity Wrestling would have had no chance in 2000. It wasn't wrestling. It was shit celebrities playing with foam.

Good points, thing I always thought let it down was that Piper was just the worst host of anything ever but I suppose if some casual fan tuned in they'd be expecting to see a few superstars they'd heard of rather than D'Lo putting Jade Goody's ex in a headlock

• Paid Members

Just watched Vince McMahon going mad at Bob Costas from 2001 on Youtube. I'm watching the follow up interview from a year later now and Vince just said they were originally going to do WrestleMania VII in a big outdoor venue but the backlash against the Slaughter character in 1991 put the shits to it and forced them to downscale WrestleMania that year.

What's the story there? Was it ever said where they were planning to hold the event?

• Paid Members

If I recall they were talking about holding it at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum but Slaughter was getting loads of death threats and such. I doubt it would have been a wise move anyway with it's huge capacity and business starting to go down.

• Paid Members

It wasn't the Slaughter angle for the reason that they moved. Tickets weren't selling well, so they moved to a smaller arena. They'd announced the year before that WrestleMania VII was to be held in a 100,000 seat venue in LA. They were going to do a second Hogan vs Warrior match in the hope it would fill 100,000 seats. But when the time came Warrior had bombed as champion and they were never going to fill it if Hogan vs Warrior couldn't.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

On the Wrestlemania documentary, they imply ticket sales being slow as the main reason. The Slaughter thing was a clever cover up to save face, and to this day Slaughter still goes along with it - he has probably told the story so many times that fiction has become fact in his mind.

There was also an excellent photo of Vince in the empty LA arena. I'd love for Vince to promote a legit 100K stadium show in his lifetime. I reckon the last two years line ups could have drawn that many fans...

• Paid Members

Yeah, I had a feeling it might be more to do with ticket sales and Vince was covering a bit but didn't know the details.

I didn't know they were considering Hogan vs Warrior 2 for that WrestleMania. But yeah, if that couldn't fill a 100,000 seater I suppose nothing could in 1991.

• Paid Members
There was also an excellent photo of Vince in the empty LA arena. I'd love for Vince to promote a legit 100K stadium show in his lifetime. I reckon the last two years line ups could have drawn that many fans...

They inflate the attendance every year. If WrestleMania could fill 100,000 seats they would do it. But they've never been able to so they dont.

They inflate the attendance every year. If WrestleMania could fill 100,000 seats they would do it. But they've never been able to so they dont.

They inflate the attendance every day never mind just Wrestlemania, but that doesn't mean they can't if they tried. I've never put orange juice in my kettle before, doesn't mean I can't. The issue would be limiting on area choices, there are only 6 stadiums in the States with a capacity potential of over 100K at the moment, in which some will not accommodate their field being removed, and others not necassaraly being in a tourist hub, which WWE rely on these days.