UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

So what about Ricky Steamboat leaving WWE in the 80's? Was reading that he asked for time off for the birth of his son (now a WWE Superstar himself!)

Has Richie been promoted to TV now then or is he still down in Florida? I must admit, I thought he was one of the better wrestlers when I was following FCW late last year / early this year.

He's scheduled to start on the new nxt this week!

The Big Show turns were covered lately, but here's another one. Either with dates or by naming the events/people involved, can anybody document all the Kurt Angle turns, going from WWE and TNA. Two caveats off the top of my head with Kurt, 1) His heel turn to the Alliance, then face turn to the WWF at Survivor Series, then suck-up heel alliance with Vince the next night on Raw should be classed as 3 turns, I think & 2) There have been times where fans have made him a babyface regardless of his actions (the era where he did his promo where he doesn't like black people springs to mind), but I'm after a definitive list of turns based on whatever they had at least booked him to be, if that makes sense. Does it? Challenge extended...

The Big Show turns were covered lately, but here's another one. Either with dates or by naming the events/people involved, can anybody document all the Kurt Angle turns, going from WWE and TNA. Two caveats off the top of my head with Kurt, 1) His heel turn to the Alliance, then face turn to the WWF at Survivor Series, then suck-up heel alliance with Vince the next night on Raw should be classed as 3 turns, I think & 2) There have been times where fans have made him a babyface regardless of his actions (the era where he did his promo where he doesn't like black people springs to mind), but I'm after a definitive list of turns based on whatever they had at least booked him to be, if that makes sense. Does it? Challenge extended...

I can do WWF/WWE:

Debuted in WWE as a heel November 1999 - stayed heel until Invasion 2001 (getting more cheers post KOTR 2001), when he was top WWF face after Austin turned on him in Invasion PPV main event.

Turned heel prior to Survivor Series 2001 - as Alliance defector - turned face back to WWF at Survivor Series and went heel again the next night allying with Vince

Remained Heel until Armageddon 2002 where turned faux-face capturing title from Big Show, but then turned on Lesnar, allied with Heyman, Team Angle and Big Show

Stayed heel until WM19 - then out with neck injury

Returned against Charlie Haas as a face in June 2003 - won WWE Title at Vengeance 2003

Stayed Face until night after No Way Out 2004 - where he turned on Eddie while referee in match with Chavo

Stayed heel through to January 2006 - although started to get cheers while booked as a heel wrestling Eugene at Summerslam, and then Cena through to Survivor Series 2005 - even though they put Daiviri with him as manager to try to keep him heel - it was at New Years Revolution 2006 that he cut the 'black people' promo basically bemoaning the fact that people cheered him no matter what.

Moved to Smackdown in January 2006, won WHC in Battle Royal following Batista's injury - remained officially heel until following week's RAW when he turned on Diavari follwoing loss to HBK

Stayed face until leaving WWE in September 2006

Think that's all of the WWE turns...

Edited by jm29195

This sort of goes back to Kurt's face and heel turns in the WWE. During the Kurt/Triple H/Stephanie Love Triangle, which of the two guys where supposed to be the face? After The Rock left that picture post Summerslam mind.

Definitely Angle as the heel. He was the slimy wife-stealing dickhead the whole time, his "I'm just her friend" act was see through to HHH and all of us fans (except probably Midas, who thought there was no problem with how Kurt was acting), but Stephanie was oblivious to it. It was a really stunning slow build face turn for HHH too, which was why it was;

a) Such an enormous let-down when he beat Kurt with Stephanie's help in a lifeless match at Unforgiven

a) A massive kidney punch when he turned on Austin at the end of that tag match when he buddied up with Rikishi

The flat fart culmination to the love triangle and the mishandling of the Austin car angle both so near each other have always stuck out to me as the end of the golden era of the WWF actually (WMX7 aside), and that sort of booking/parity decision making far closer resembles the 02-today model of WWE than the 99/2000 'everybody's over' era. I blame Steve Austin's return for much of it, which is funny because Unforgiven 2000 is often the PPV people point to where the shine first started to come off and that was his big return.

Can anyone recommend some Japanese wrestling to watch? Either matches, individuals or promotions? Quite ashamedly, I've never properly watched any. :/

There are plenty of people to answer this question more qualified than me but I will give you some help if I can. Also theres loads of Japanese wrestling threads on here if you search some with results and photos which may help you decide.

If you want big budget stuff then New Japan Pro Wrestling is probably the best place to start, good mix in the roster and have used a lot of former WWE, former and current TNA stars as well as better known people from the US indys. The undercards are always fun with a mix of tag, Jr Heavweight and heavy hitting singles normally.

All Japan Pro Wrestling is also meant to be hitting a stride at the moment but I havent watched much. Noah from a few years ago as well is worth looking at (pre Misawa's death)

From the smaller leagues (who are usually so much better produced than US indys) I really like Zero 1, watched a string of shows from 07 recently and found every match enjoyable

Other promotions I know of that I would recommend include DDT, Big Japan for death match stuff and some Michinokou Pro .

Can anyone recommend some Japanese wrestling to watch? Either matches, individuals or promotions? Quite ashamedly, I've never properly watched any. :/

There are plenty of people to answer this question more qualified than me but I will give you some help if I can. Also theres loads of Japanese wrestling threads on here if you search some with results and photos which may help you decide.

If you want big budget stuff then New Japan Pro Wrestling is probably the best place to start, good mix in the roster and have used a lot of former WWE, former and current TNA stars as well as better known people from the US indys. The undercards are always fun with a mix of tag, Jr Heavweight and heavy hitting singles normally.

All Japan Pro Wrestling is also meant to be hitting a stride at the moment but I havent watched much. Noah from a few years ago as well is worth looking at (pre Misawa's death)

From the smaller leagues (who are usually so much better produced than US indys) I really like Zero 1, watched a string of shows from 07 recently and found every match enjoyable

Other promotions I know of that I would recommend include DDT, Big Japan for death match stuff and some Michinokou Pro .

I would also fully recommend watching Dragon Gate. I believe it is actually one of the better attended Japanese promotions these days and there is good reason for that - it's f***ing amazing!

I can do WWF/WWE:

Debuted in WWE as a heel November 1999 - stayed heel until Invasion 2001 (getting more cheers post KOTR 2001), when he was top WWF face after Austin turned on him in Invasion PPV main event.

Turned heel prior to Survivor Series 2001 - as Alliance defector - turned face back to WWF at Survivor Series and went heel again the next night allying with Vince

Remained Heel until Armageddon 2002 where turned faux-face capturing title from Big Show, but then turned on Lesnar, allied with Heyman, Team Angle and Big Show

Stayed heel until WM19 - then out with neck injury

Returned against Charlie Haas as a face in June 2003 - won WWE Title at Vengeance 2003

Stayed Face until night after No Way Out 2004 - where he turned on Eddie while referee in match with Chavo

Stayed heel through to January 2006 - although started to get cheers while booked as a heel wrestling Eugene at Summerslam, and then Cena through to Survivor Series 2005 - even though they put Daiviri with him as manager to try to keep him heel - it was at New Years Revolution 2006 that he cut the 'black people' promo basically bemoaning the fact that people cheered him no matter what.

Moved to Smackdown in January 2006, won WHC in Battle Royal following Batista's injury - remained officially heel until following week's RAW when he turned on Diavari follwoing loss to HBK

Stayed face until leaving WWE in September 2006

Think that's all of the WWE turns...

I'll try his TNA run.

Debuted in 2006 as a face, mainly feuding against Samoa Joe, which took him all the way to his time out for injury.

He then came back in 2008 and turned heel by hitting Styles with a steel chair. He formed the Main Event Mafia with Booker, Nash, Sting and Steiner as a heel faction. That went on forever, though as with the nWo they became pretty popular.

I think he then turned face for no reason on an episode of Impact, and feuded with Desmond Wolfe. He was face right up until his next time off for injury.

When he came back he was still a face, and was in the face faction up against Immortal, though he spent most of it in that wonderful feud with Jarrett.

He then turned again and joined Immortal I think, because Dixie had lied to him about Jarret and Karen, where Hogan was man enough to tell him the truth. When Hogan turned face at BFG, Angle stayed heel and feuded with Storm.

He's just turned face again in the old "I respect you AJ Styles" type turn after beating him at Sacrifice.

So, in all he's only turned 4 times. He plays the same character as heel or face, so to some extent you could see him as a tweener.

I really see after his first couple of months Angle as a tweener slowly moving into a heel in 2007 during his feud with Joe. By the time the NWA were dropped and the TNA title created at Slammiversary he was pretty much full blown heel. He then stayed that way through his feud with Sting and then through to the end of the main event mafia in October 09 when he announced that he realised it was all about the younger guys and they had his respect, following this he was attacked by Desmond Wolfe