UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

This may be a stupid question but its just something whats popped into my head again lately and Ive always wondered about it.

Back in ECW in 1996 during the Shane Douglad - Pitbulls feud did Pitbull Number 1 Gary Wolfe really suffer a neck injury? I remember reading about the angle in Powerslam and have just recently rewatched it again but Ive never known if it was a total work or just and exageratted injury.

Edited by BxB Hulk

Though the footage of the incident doesn't look too bad, I've never heard anyone talk about it really being a work.

Douglas & Wolfe have both talked about it in shoot interviews saying he didn't take the single-arm ddt properly leading to him landing at a bad angle, legitimately breaking his neck.

Yeah thats what I thought when you see the DDT it doesnt seem that bad so I thought it must of been a hidden work like what they did with the Sandman's blindness injury. Just been watching an episode of History Of ECW on WWE 24/7 from The Doctor Is In 96 with Pitbull1 with the neckbrace on etc and it reminded me of the whole angle.

• Paid Members
Does anybody know the backstory to the DiBiase - Jake Roberts match at Wrestlemania 6? Was it just a match, or was there some sort of angle attached to it? Thanks.

In a nutshell, Jake had stolen the Million Dollar Belt, which, as it was unsanctioned, gave him as much right to claim the championship as Dibiase. Therefore the title match was set, with DiBiase winning the belt back by count-out - which was acceptable as it was an unsanctioned title.

EDIT: According 411's WM6 report, the feud began the previous May, when Dibiase injured Jake:

So Dibiase put Roberts out of action in May of
Edited by Statto

The Jake The Snake vs ted Dibase is one of the matches on Legends of Wrestlemania. The game shows you a video package of the angle and the match at Mania and then you have to play the match complete objectives and changing the match outcome. It's quite a fun game, the videos make the nostalgia feel, should be more matches in the relive, recreate, redefine though.

Yeah thats what I thought when you see the DDT it doesnt seem that bad so I thought it must of been a hidden work like what they did with the Sandman's blindness injury. Just been watching an episode of History Of ECW on WWE 24/7 from The Doctor Is In 96 with Pitbull1 with the neckbrace on etc and it reminded me of the whole angle.

He had a halo screwed into his skull. I'm inclined to think that you wouldn't do that for an angle. Hell, ECW couldn't have afforded to do that for an angle. The story goes that they deliberately exaggerated the seriousness of it - not that it wasn't plenty serious already - and that he exaggerated the loss of feeling in his arm and so on to help sell the angle.

So the Jake/DiBiase feud started in May 89 and culminated, what, April 1990?

Now THAT's some forward planning!

A strange as it may seem now, back in the day booking was done with a long term goal in mind. After Wrestlemania IV it was said thet Vince new the main event for Wrestlemania V would be Savage vs Hogan, and everything done was to build up to that. These days everything appears to be done on the fly, Vince changes his mind at the drop of a hat, and there appears to be little, if any long term plans.