UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Are there any episodes of Raw, Smackdown or Nitro from the attitude era that don't include someone now dead? I assume there are, but it seems like there's always an Owen Hart, Bulldog, Test, Crash Holly, Rick Rude, Macho Man, Benoit, Eddie, Bossman etc knocking about.

The first one I could see when looking in the results archives is the September 27th 1999 Raw. There's probably others though, some of the later Nitros perhaps.

Here's the card from that Raw anyway: The Big Show defeated Chris Jericho by Disqualification...European Champion, D-Lo Brown, defeated The Lethal Weapon Steve Blackman by Disqualification...World Tag Team Champions, The New Age Outlaws, fought to a No Contest with Kane and X-Pac...Chyna and Debra defeated Jeff Jarrett and Tom Prichard...WWF Champion, Triple H, and The Rock fought to a No Contest.

The opening segment of that show was a Triple H-British Bulldog promo battle. There was also an Ivory vs Mae and Moolah handicap match. And Crash Holly was involved in the Outlaws vs X-Pac and Kane match. So that's three deads.

I don't think people love the attitude era for the match quality.

The only reason anyone anywhere has ever liked wrestling in any era is because of match quality and clean finishes. It's booking 101.

• Paid Members

To be fair, that is a slightly unrepresentative edition of Raw. It was the one where the gimmick was that the referees were on strike, so they had a bunch of scab refs (Tom Prichard, Steve Lombardi etc) who weren't taking any shit and thus DQing people.

Also, it was the show with the Rock's This Is Your Life for a good 20 minutes or so.

• Paid Members

WCW said "Hog Wild 1996" would have 250,000 people there. Does anybody know the real attendance?

Want to see if it compares with "Bash at the Beach 1995" when they said 100,000 and there was 10,000.

I know Bobby Heenan retired from management in 1991, but how did they deal with it on TV? Was there a segment where he gave up the Heenan family, or anything like that?

Also, Rumble 92 aside, when did Haku stop wrestling on TV for the WWF? And why?

I think it was an angle when Taker was feuding with The Rock leading to KOTR 99 that Rock got put in a casket then trips battered it with the sledgehammer, once Rock got out he was bleeding etc and JR really put over how evil trips was, so guess that got it over.

I know Bobby Heenan retired from management in 1991, but how did they deal with it on TV? Was there a segment where he gave up the Heenan family, or anything like that?

Also, Rumble 92 aside, when did Haku stop wrestling on TV for the WWF? And why?

It was on an edition of the Funeral parlour, Heenan just said he'd be stepping down and introduced the Coach as his replacement.

Haku was pretty much gone from the WWF by the same time, around June/July '91. He had some odd appearances like Rumble 92 as you said and a big show in Hawaii, but i don't think he was ever part of Tv tapings after the summer. He did work all those joint WWF/SWS shows in Japan right up to 1992 though, so he was probably still with the WWF in some capacity up to then.

I always remember that sledgehammer/casket segment because it was either right before or after one of those fun little Hardys/Hayes vs Brood sprints.

Edited by Reznor

I think since they change the creative plans all the time & that Kaval got released/left a few monthes after winning NXT I wouldnt get your hopes up about Curtis & R-Truth winning the tag titles or even having a shot at them.

I think it was an angle when Taker was feuding with The Rock leading to KOTR 99 that Rock got put in a casket then trips battered it with the sledgehammer, once Rock got out he was bleeding etc and JR really put over how evil trips was, so guess that got it over.

I remember that, Rock wasn't feuding with Taker yet though. He just had a throwaway casket match with him, as far as I remember, that led to the HHH angle -- which led to Rock having a "broken arm" for their match at Over The Edge. I think that was a one off though, but he seemed to start using it a lot around October that year.

To be fair, that is a slightly unrepresentative edition of Raw. It was the one where the gimmick was that the referees were on strike, so they had a bunch of scab refs (Tom Prichard, Steve Lombardi etc) who weren't taking any shit and thus DQing people.

That's possibly my favourite minor angle from the Attitude era. Prichard's blue tracksuit bottoms just added to it.