UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Long shot, but I bought a set of DVDs from someone on here, they just have "WWF TV 96-98" on them. There's 14 discs. The match listing was posted on here when I bought them, but this was many years ago. Does anyone know the details of this set? and if possible the match/segement listing as they're not full episodes.

I remember something (Power Slam prob) saying it was about not being able to come to a deal with Sky.

Anyone go to MIM live?

I do recall they had two house shows scheduled (Sheffield and Newcastle I think) for around September 1998, but cancelled them both when they announced Capital Carnage.

I also remember when they did those QVC specials, some lad calling up so excited because he had a front row ticket for one of the shows and it was only a few weeks away, and he had no idea it had been cancelled, and the dreadful QVC guy had to tell him.

I did. I was front row in fact. I cant tell you how pissed off I was that it just turned into a house show. The VHS release was rubbish, virtually just highlights.

I was 3 years old at the time so I have very little knowledge on the subject, but I've just been reading a little about the steroid trial in 94. I know that Hogan said that McMahon had never given him steroids, but I've also read they had a massive falling out over it. What the fuck etc.?

I was 3 years old at the time so I have very little knowledge on the subject, but I've just been reading a little about the steroid trial in 94. I know that Hogan said that McMahon had never given him steroids, but I've also read they had a massive falling out over it. What the fuck etc.?

One of them admitted that the two of them shared steriods. Also I think it was claimed that it was Vince who wanted Hogan to lie on the Arsenio Hall show regarding his steriod use. Hogan claimed on the show that he took steriods only twice to heal an injury but it was of course then revealed that Hogan was juiced to the eyeballs and thus he was a bullshitter. If true than that probably didnt help the relationship.

Edited by bobby dazzler

• Paid Members

Hogan was called to testified against Vince. Something Vince didn't want and got Jerry McDivott to try and get Hogan taken out of the case. Hogan testifying got Vince off in the end. Hogan could have sent him down if he said the wrong things, since he was the star of the trial and the public face of pro wrestling and the poster boy for steroids. What he said had a big effect on the case.

The reason he buried Hogan, probably had something to do with the fact the same week as Hogan testified, Hogan was due to wrestle Flair at Bash at the Beach for WCW. Hogan and McMahon weren't on good terms long before Hogan testified.

Hogan should have just lied and sent him down. WCW would have picked apart a Jerry Jarrett and Linda McMahon lead WWF.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

The sharing bit was the key to the trial. The actual charge against Vince was that he'd conspired to distribute steroids, specifically that he'd sent them to Hogan in the post. To quote an extract from a piece I did for FSM a few months back:

What happened in a New York courtroom that summer has been grossly oversimplified in later accounts. The trial was not about whether professional wrestlers used steroids, whether Vince McMahon used steroids, or whether Vince McMahon knew, encouraged or forced wrestlers to use steroids. Instead it was about whether he was guilty of the very specific charges against him.

Two of those charges related to McMahon distributing steroids to Hulk Hogan on two occasions by receiving them from Zahorian and mailing them from WWE offices for him to collect at the arena during live events. These were both thrown out before the jury could consider them. In one case the charge was simply impossible as the stated Nassau house show took place four days before McMahon's office received the steroids; in the other, the arena was Madison Square Garden, which was outside the court's jurisdiction.

The remaining charge was that Zahorian and McMahon had conspired to distribute steroids to wrestlers for a financial advantage, namely increased company revenue. While the prosecution called a variety of witnesses with varying degrees of credibility, none would go on record saying they were directly told to use steroids.

• Paid Members

Does anybody know the name of the wee guy with the melodic tones who used to do the various nWo soundbytes ("Loser!", "The Following\Preceding Announcement Had\Has Been Paid for by the New World Order etc")? He was as integral as Hogan, Hall and Nash in the early days of the black and white IMO and was a laugh riot at nWo Souled Out 1997.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
Hogan was called to testified against Vince. Something Vince didn't want and got Jerry McDivott to try and get Hogan taken out of the case. Hogan testifying got Vince off in the end.

That's right. There's no reason, other than an angle, for Vince to have any problem with Hogan's testifying against him at all.

Defense: Vince McMahon never directed you to take steroids?

Terry B: Never.

Defense: It was your choice and decision?

Terry B: Definitely.

Defense: Other wrestlers take steroids?

Terry B: To my knowledge, yes.

Defense: Ever hear Vince McMahon tell a wrestler he should take steroids?

Terry B: No.

Defense: Do you recall any conversations with Vince McMahon where he implied a wrestler should take steroids?

Terry B: Never.

The reason he buried Hogan, probably had something to do with the fact the same week as Hogan testified, Hogan was due to wrestle Flair at Bash at the Beach for WCW.

I know it's a case of taking it for what it's worth, but Hogan corroborates that in his second book. He asked Vince why Vince had said "I only wish Hulk Hogan had told the truth" (!) to the assembled press and got the reply "It's just business."

They're a funny breed, wrestlers. In Nash's Timeline he's laughing at Shawn trying to blow him up at WMXI and then sandbagging him on the finishing Powerbomb so that Nash would look weak. He explains quite calmly that Shawn wanted his spot, that it's an example of a dog-eat-dog mentality and that he didn't mind, because if you couldn't do that to your own friend then who could you do it to. That's just all sorts of wacky.

Hogan and McMahon weren't on good terms long before Hogan testified.

Is there a backstory there? Or do you mean that Hogan had left the camp prior to that, as usual calling the shots on the way out?

Edited by Ronnie

• Paid Members
Is there a backstory there? Or do you mean that Hogan had left the camp prior to that, as usual calling the shots on the way out?

Probably that. McMahon wanted Hogan to stay in a role like Roddy Piper had. Where he'd come in and work a special attraction match, but Hogan wanted to come in every three months and main event. There was an issue over Hogan not losing to Bret Hart, I also remember Hogan buried to WWF and its world title while still the champion on a tour of New Japan. I think it was just a case of all of the above why they fell out. Also, Vince thought Hogan wasn't useful anymore because he was over 40. There was this famous little discussion between Jerry Jarrett and Vince McMahon, where Jarrett said "why are you letter Hogan, Flair and all these names leave?" and Vince said "because they are to old to be on top" and Jerry Jarrett said "these guys are superstars. If you dont use them someone else will" and Vince replied saying nobody else would have any idea what to do with them.

The fact Bash at the Beach murdered every WCW PPV that went before it and it was a monster success before the event even happened probably put Vince on the defensive. His "its just business" explanation was probably Vince's way of saying he had to try and drag Hogan's value down by burying him because he posed a threat to the WWF.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
I also remember Hogan buried to WWF and its world title while still the champion on a tour of New Japan.

Aye, that's would explain a lot actually. "[The WWF] belt is just a toy. It's like a trinket on a Christmas tree ... The belt that I want ... is the IWGP belt."

The fact Bash at the Beach murdered every WCW PPV that went before it and it was a monster success before the event even happened probably put Vince on the defensive. His "its just business" explanation was probably Vince's way of saying he had to try and drag Hogan's value down by burying him because he posed a threat to the WWF.

Yep, that would be my thinking as well. Hogan's name has made it onto the newscasts, so Vince has to undermine it to decrease his value.

• Paid Members

Hi! I basically missed the whole Russo reign of "error" in WCW in 1999 and 2000. Does anybody have any match or interview recommendations that I should be hunting on Youtube for? Thanks a lot!

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
Hi! I basically missed the whole Russo reign of "error" in WCW in 1999 and 2000. Does anybody have any match or interview recommendations that I should be hunting on Youtube for? Thanks a lot!

Pinata on a pole match

Russo shoots on Goldberg

Russo-mobile

Arquette

War games 2000

These are just a few of the main things, there is LOADS more terrible booking throughout Russo's tenure in charge.