UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

If I remember rightly, Jarrett was meant to be wrestling Shamrock the night before but Shamrock either no-showed or was injured. They figured that as Edge was working with Jarrett on the PPV, they could put him in as sub, switch the belt as a happy ending (Edge being in his hometown) and then do the planned Jarrett win at the PPV anyway.

Been taking a little look at some WWF results from the summer of 1993, purely because I've just downloaded a '93 mod for TEW and like to make things as accurate as possible. Anyway, two things have struck me: 1) Summerslam '93 appears to have been held on a Monday night. Was there any particular reason for this? 2) Was Lex Luger at any point scheduled to have beaten Yokozuna for the title at Summerslam? I understand that this was around the time Hogan left and that perhaps some plans had been changed, but from what I remember of the era and from what I can gather from some of the videos I've looked at from the time, Luger was being pushed to the moon that summer - slamming Yokozuna, the Lex Express etc, and then the Summerslam main event comes and ends in a crappy count-out and Luger doesn't get another title shot. Was there a reason for this? Or was it simply case of wanting to make Luger look like a credible threat and nothing more?

Been taking a little look at some WWF results from the summer of 1993, purely because I've just downloaded a '93 mod for TEW and like to make things as accurate as possible. Anyway, two things have struck me: 1) Summerslam '93 appears to have been held on a Monday night. Was there any particular reason for this? 2) Was Lex Luger at any point scheduled to have beaten Yokozuna for the title at Summerslam? I understand that this was around the time Hogan left and that perhaps some plans had been changed, but from what I remember of the era and from what I can gather from some of the videos I've looked at from the time, Luger was being pushed to the moon that summer - slamming Yokozuna, the Lex Express etc, and then the Summerslam main event comes and ends in a crappy count-out and Luger doesn't get another title shot. Was there a reason for this? Or was it simply case of wanting to make Luger look like a credible threat and nothing more?

I'm sure someone will be able to give a better answer than me, but for the now...

1) In the early 90's PPV's weren't always held on a Sunday night. We used to get them 24 hours later and, for example, SummerSlam 1990 was shown on a Tuesday, hence it being held on a Monday, Survivor Series '90 was shown on a Friday, Rumble '91 on a Sunday and Mania VII on a Monday.

2) The story at the time was that Luger was going to win the title at Mania 10, but got drunk one night and told folks so, and was denied the title win.

• Paid Members
2) The story at the time was that Luger was going to win the title at Mania 10, but got drunk one night and told folks so, and was denied the title win.

That turned out to be bollocks though. Luger was dead on his arse long before WrestleMania X (thats why they did the double victory at the Rumble, to see who the hottest babyface was). The plan from Royal Rumble was for Bret to win the belt. If they were scared people knew the result of the main event of Mania before hand, they would have given Luger the belt because everyone was expecting Hart to regain it anyway.

Was Lex Luger at any point scheduled to have beaten Yokozuna for the title at Summerslam? I understand that this was around the time Hogan left and that perhaps some plans had been changed, but from what I remember of the era and from what I can gather from some of the videos I've looked at from the time, Luger was being pushed to the moon that summer - slamming Yokozuna, the Lex Express etc, and then the Summerslam main event comes and ends in a crappy count-out and Luger doesn't get another title shot. Was there a reason for this? Or was it simply case of wanting to make Luger look like a credible threat and nothing more?

Original plans were for a Hogan vs Bret Hart SummerSlam main event, but Hogan left, so they decided to push Luger as the new muscular babyface. Luger was supposed to have the DQ win at SummerSlam, feud with all the anti-yanks like Ludvig and The Mounties, then win the Royal Rumble and beat Yokozuna in a Hogan vs Sheik teary eyed "the belt has come home to America" type thing. But Luger didnt catch on with the fans.

Edited by Ian_hitmanhart

• Paid Members

I think Marty Jannetty beat HBK for the Intercontinental title at a house show. I remember watching Superstars back in May 93 which had something to that effect.

Yup, remember the Steiners/Money Inc switches a bit later too.

Strange how I recall title switches from 16 years ago, but couldn't tell you who half the title holders are nowadays.

I think Marty Jannetty beat HBK for the Intercontinental title at a house show. I remember watching Superstars back in May 93 which had something to that effect.

Strange how I recall title switches from 16 years ago, but couldn't tell you who half the title holders are nowadays.

I think that happened on Raw, so seing as though we didn't get it until '95, they probably did an announcement on Superstars about it.

I am currently downloading the latest episode of TNA IMPACT. I have not tuned in since they declared 'war' with the WWE, ... the show that started with that cage thing that no one could climb out of, and Hardy came down.

Has it got better or worse since then, just so I am prepared, if it could possibly get any worse?

I am currently downloading the latest episode of TNA IMPACT. I have not tuned in since they declared 'war' with the WWE, ... the show that started with that cage thing that no one could climb out of, and Hardy came down.

Has it got better or worse since then, just so I am prepared, if it could possibly get any worse?

Much much worse.

The HBK / Jannetty switch was the other way around. Janetty won it from Michaels on Raw, Michaels regained it at a house show, the announcement on Superstars was coupled with that of HBK employing a new bodyguard. Big Daddy Cool Diesel.

Those Money Inc / Steiner switches were odd, because they had a couple of good matches on tv at the time where the title didn't change, but they switched them back and forth on house shows.

For me, house show switches are good, as you don't expect them and they feel more legit.

Ah, presumed as much. I'll take it all with a pinch of salt then and will probably get a laugh out of it. Cheers, Dillkid. :)

Yeah, the last episode was good, Double Axe. You'll be falling over with laughter.

• Moderators

Dead not obvious who you are.