UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Kinda have one eye on NXT at the moment and at the start of the show there was a black haired ring announcer and now there's a blonde one. What gives? Was that Savannah's last appearance? It didn't look like her. Again, wasn't really paying attention.

Savannah's been released. I can't recall the name of the new girl though.

• Paid Members
Did Vince buy ECW?

Sorry for the n00b-ish question. As far as I was aware ECW went bankrupt but Vince started slowly but surely using ECW names during the Invasion and obviously the WWE re-brand.

Just recently, on the likes of You Tube etc, I'm seeing more and more comments about WWE buying ECW.

So what happened?

Vince just started using the ECW name during the Invasion but he didn't own it at that point, it was still going through the bankruptcy court and they weren't happy with him using the name which is why they started using "The Alliance". Vince was a major creditor of ECW due to the money he'd given Heyman so he eventually agreed a deal to buy it around 2002. He owns the trademarks and the video library, hence the Rise and Fall of ECW DVD and the inclusion of the footage on WWE 24/7.

John Lister's book Turning The Tables tells the story of ECW, including the aftermath really well.

• Paid Members
Kinda have one eye on NXT at the moment and at the start of the show there was a black haired ring announcer and now there's a blonde one. What gives? Was that Savannah's last appearance? It didn't look like her. Again, wasn't really paying attention.

Savannah's been released. I can't recall the name of the new girl though.

Ashley Valence. she was called up from developmental.

Edited by mim731

Meltz~ and Bryan`` keep talking about WWE once letting The Rock's contract expire. Can anyone shed some light on that for me?

In 2004, while Rock was inactive, WWE didn't even attempt to contact him when his contract was up for renewal to see if they wanted to keep him on a semi-active basis. Instead, nobody got in touch, it lapsed and he's only made the odd appearance since, though he's never again set foot in a WWE ring.

Meltz~ and Bryan`` keep talking about WWE once letting The Rock's contract expire. Can anyone shed some light on that for me?

In 2004, while Rock was inactive, WWE didn't even attempt to contact him when his contract was up for renewal to see if they wanted to keep him on a semi-active basis. Instead, nobody got in touch, it lapsed and he's only made the odd appearance since, though he's never again set foot in a WWE ring.

The idiots, think how better some of the last few Wrestlemania's would have been with a Hogan like returns for The Rock.

• Paid Members

The idiots, think how better some of the last few Wrestlemania's would have been with a Hogan like returns for The Rock.

I don't think the issue of his contract lapsing prevented that from happening, its more he doesn't want to do it. he's making a good wedge from the shitty films he's making and not taking any bumps, can't blame him really. If he wanted to be involved again, he could walk back in any time and they'd build the show around him. He's still on good terms with wwe, hence the one off appearances, and I'm sure we'll see a cameo sooner or later.

• Paid Members

I don't think the issue of his contract lapsing prevented that from happening, its more he doesn't want to do it. he's making a good wedge from the shitty films he's making and not taking any bumps, can't blame him really. If he wanted to be involved again, he could walk back in any time and they'd build the show around him. He's still on good terms with wwe, hence the one off appearances, and I'm sure we'll see a cameo sooner or later.

He makes more doing one movie than he did at the peak of his/WWF-Es popularity. He's also a bigger star now (his movies are making $100M+). The Rock is also smart and realises he can keep WWE waiting until they offer him a deal so ridiculous that he will have no choice but to say yes.

The Rock truely is 'The Great One'. Hulk Hogan is skint and is as mobile as his WWF thumb figures and Steve Austin will forever be a wife beater.

Not that it would be a surprise, but.....

Did Pro Wrestling 101 go under (The UK promotion run - I think - by the infamous Steven Gauntley)? Their website seems to be gone.

Yes. they closed a couple of months ago.

Things were reportedly pretty frosty between Rock and the office for a time (and EXTREMELY frosty between Vince and whoever was responsible for the fuck-up) because Rock felt like they'd just forgotten he existed and he wanted to at least remain on good terms with them. As it stands, they appear to have got back to a fairly comfortable relationship now, but I'm willing to bet that he'd be a lot less willing to go the extra mile for them now than he would have been then.

• Paid Members
Did a match on WCW Nitro ever finish during the commercial break?

The only reason I ask was because they always use to say 'if match ends during the commercial break we will show you the replay'

I think it's because it's subtly breaking kayfabe to be absolutely certain that the match will continue longer than the commercial break. I think Cole got rightly told off for continually saying 'this match will continue when we return'.

While I can't remember any match finishes occurring, Kurt Angle did drop a fall to Brock Lesnar during their Iron Man match. Showing the pinfall as a replay was actually really cool, and I wish they'd use it a little more.

Not long after Raw first started, we just used to get the highlights on Mania with Todd Pettengill. There was definately a match between "The Model" Rick Martel and Mr. Perfect that ended during a Raw commercial break.

The match was in progress, and Raw cut to a commercial. On Mania we cut to Pettengill in the studio informing us that, yes Raw had gone to a commercial, and, when Raw returned... they cut to Perfect in the ring with some female models!

Obviously, they did this to emphasise that Raw was 'live and uncensored' and that 'anything could happen', which made sense.

What didn't make sense, to me anyway, was that they would show this on a highlights program...