The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members

Having watched Dredd the other day it got me in the mood to read some 2000AD so I dug out some old Annuals and issues I have had left in a cupboard for years. Good fun it is to. Its at least 18 years since I read any 2000AD and I have to say I probably didn't quite get it aged 12. So I'm thinking whilst I have the Dredd bug I might get this

Judge Dredd Complete Case Files vol.1

What I'm wondering is do these TPBs cover every major arc chronologically from start to finish? I have a free Amazon Prime trial so it will be here tomorrow which is nice.

Edited by DEF

Having watched Dredd the other day it got me in the mood to read some 2000AD so I dug out some old Annuals and issues I have had left in a cupboard for years. Good fun it is to. Its at least 18 years since I read any 2000AD and I have to say I probably didn't quite get it aged 12. So I'm thinking whilst I have the Dredd bug I might get this

Judge Dredd Complete Case Files vol.1

What I'm wondering is do these TPBs cover every major arc chronologically from start to finish? I have a free Amazon Prime trial so it will be here tomorrow which is nice.

Weirdly enough I just got the Dredd Complete Case Files Vol 1 from the library. To answer your question, no. Vol 1 is not chronological. It's a collection of special one off story lines and specials collected together for the first time. In otherwords, it dosen't start from the beginning of Judge Dredd and go forward, it jumps all over the place.

Which is a shame because that is what I was hoping for. :(

I'm on a bit of a binge. Picked up Cable and Deadpool Ultimate Collection and Captain America: Fallen Son Hardcover for 5.99 each in a little bookshop in Bowness. Got me right in the mood to relight my love affair with marvel so I downloaded an ebay and paypal app and was determined to find more TPBs at a more palatable price than the

Edited by kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

Any of you guys still read 2000AD? As well as starting at the start of Judge Dredd I thought I'd check out modern day 2000AD. To be honest I'm pretty dissapointed. When did the art get so sanatised and cheap looking? Its all compressed computer drawn stuff. Part of the edge of 2000AD was the jaw dropping heavy metal style artwork. I'm going to give it a few issues but it doesn't seem nearly as interesting as I expected.

• Paid Members

Have you guys read Garth Ennin's Punisher MAX run? It's basically completely fucking brilliant. Ennis's work on Punisher, Hellblazer and ofcourse Preacher is just astonishingly great. The Boys has some great moments too but it's not up to them three's level. Next up, Hitman.

As I've been saying I now own the whole graphic novel set of Hitman and it is simply put amazing stuff, a real great blend of human characters, superhero spoofing and fantastic story telling. Buy it, buy it now!

I use to read 2000AD alot but to be honest, the last time I picked it up all I did was flip to the last Nikolai Dante story and read it in Smiths. I'm sure there are some great stories every now and then but I felt some of the longer characters went weird. I loved Sinister Dexter when I first picked up 2000AD but the last time I read them it had gone all weird and I felt really lost.

Have you guys read Garth Ennin's Punisher MAX run? It's basically completely fucking brilliant. Ennis's work on Punisher, Hellblazer and ofcourse Preacher is just astonishingly great. The Boys has some great moments too but it's not up to them three's level. Next up, Hitman.

The bits I've read of his Punisher stuff I've really liked. I've also been reading the Boys, it's just so OTT and ridiculous. That goes either way with people but I really like it. I just read Batman #0, loved that too.

I never got that, maybe it's because I read Garth Ennis before Ellis, but my favourite Ellis' book was Transmetropolitan, which has some similar traits. But other books I've read of his like Planetary are completely different. I don't see any real comparisons except they seem to always write the introduction for the others graphic novel releases.