The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

for anyone who enjoyed the recent adaptation of the Dark Knight Returns: Part 1, the trailer for Part 2 is up

is this the Batman 13 that peeps were refering to?

BM_Cv13_NYCC_VAR_cv1.jpg

will try and pick up a coy when I'm paid

The second print of Batman #13 is due next week I think, it won't have the Joker die cut cover so it'll just be Bats on the front.

I still really enjoy Walking Dead. It has gone over itself a fair bit but the last dozen issues or so have been really good. I read the first issue of Bedlam last night and really enjoyed that. I'm catching up on The Boys in the trades, up to the eigth one now. It's ridiculous and over the top for the sake of it, but I like that. I also got the first couple of Locke & Key which I've been meaning to do for a while. I will keep recommending Saga until everyone reads it and/or my keyboard explodes, you can get the first trade of that now.

Cancelling Hellblazer and bringing Constantine into the wider DCU just seems a needless decision though. He's pretty much the poster boy for Vertigo and it's a shame to see the label take a big hit.

Edited by Harvey Dent

I've liked some of Lapham's Crossed. I think Crossed in general has been pretty shit in terms of story and character, even going back to the first miniseries by Ennis. The webcomic is by far the best one in those terms. So it's just the depravity and shock value that it has going for it mostly, and I think Crossed: Psychopath was outstanding on that front.

Which was Ennis' second run on the book? I've only read as far as that story with the amazonian woman, sexy twins and stoner redneck kid in the swamps. Load of turd it was. Was Ennis on before that or after?

• Paid Members

Watched a couple of Animated films over the weekend:

Under the Red Hood - Blummin fantastic. I might be in the minority, but I enjoyed this more than The Dark Knight Returns pt1 which was the fist I saw in this recent run. Probably the best I have seen to be honest. I didn't know a great deal about The person under the hood (won't spoil it, just in case), but I just thought the whole thing was awesome from start to finish.

Dr Strange - Again, because of my limited comic knowledge, I don't remember having come across him as a character before, so didn't know the back story. Really enjoyed it, perhaps because it was all new. Some great animation, particularly the battles/magic.

Superman/Batman Public Enemies - OK, not the worse film I have seen this month. I thought too much was going on, with too many characters that I didn't know, that I felt I was getting a bit lost. I was too busy trying to figure out who was who, so lost focus a bit. Lex Luger's costime at the end was pretty good.

So that's these watched so far, next few up are Superman/Batman Apocalypse (I think that follows on from S/B Pub E), and the 2 Hulk vs that I was supposed to have watched already. Then on to the Justice League ones.

Thought I'd bang this in here, sorry to disrupt the flow of the thread.

I've got some early issues of Fantastic Four (44-47, 58-59, 94,97-98 and various issues in the 200's) and wondered if anyone has tried selling any comics before? I haven't got time to go down the ebay route, and tbh would rather keep them than sell them for a couple of quid to some chancer. I've google searched, but can't find anything useful in the UK. I'm not desperate to get rid, but I'd like to see them serving some purpose than stashed away in my office.

Anyone any ideas? If not, as you were......

Under the Red Hood - Blummin fantastic. I might be in the minority, but I enjoyed this more than The Dark Knight Returns pt1 which was the fist I saw in this recent run. Probably the best I have seen to be honest. I didn't know a great deal about The person under the hood (won't spoil it, just in case), but I just thought the whole thing was awesome from start to finish.

Dr Strange - Again, because of my limited comic knowledge, I don't remember having come across him as a character before, so didn't know the back story. Really enjoyed it, perhaps because it was all new. Some great animation, particularly the battles/magic.

Superman/Batman Public Enemies - OK, not the worse film I have seen this month. I thought too much was going on, with too many characters that I didn't know, that I felt I was getting a bit lost. I was too busy trying to figure out who was who, so lost focus a bit. Lex Luger's costime at the end was pretty good.

So that's these watched so far, next few up are Superman/Batman Apocalypse (I think that follows on from S/B Pub E), and the 2 Hulk vs that I was supposed to have watched already. Then on to the Justice League ones.

This is actually one of my personal favourite Animated Movies too. I downloaded it a couple of years ago randomly, and stuck it on one night and loved it. Really good film

Under the Red Hood - Blummin fantastic. I might be in the minority, but I enjoyed this more than The Dark Knight Returns pt1 which was the fist I saw in this recent run. Probably the best I have seen to be honest.

This is actually one of my personal favourite Animated Movies too. I downloaded it a couple of years ago randomly, and stuck it on one night and loved it. Really good film

You can add me to that list.

I also think it's better than Dark Knight Returns, with all the hype behind the comic (which I haven't read) I was expecting something grand from DKR part1, it was in no way shit, but not on Red Hood's level imo, that was just so great, and is probably my fav animated DC movie, although it's been some years since I watched the mask of phantasm.

TBF though, maybe Dark Knight Returns will pick up in part 2, so overall it might just be as good.

Anyone think they should make a Hush animated movie next? that was a very good comic, think it would work well as a movie.

Also, anyone else find it bizarre that DC can put out quality animated movies, but their live action movies suck outside of Batman, it's a shame really.

Edited by The Total Package

I'd definitely like to see an Animated Movie with Hush. In fact, I'd like to see more Animated Movies in general. Maybe some Green Lantern stories turned to Animated Movies. Also, how about Marvel releasing some stuff now too after the success of the Avengers and others

• Paid Members

I think I read that they were seriously considering doing an animated feature of The Killing Joke after DKR part 2. Would be a good choice imo. Infact I must dig it out and give it another read.

I like Under the Red Hood alot but for me DKR part 1 blew it out of the water.

Popped into HMV yesterday and was pleased to find there graphic novels were far cheaper than WH Smiths or Waterstones. Got Batman Year One for

• Paid Members

Only downside to most of them, if you can even call it that, is that they are quite violent. I want to watch some with my nephew, to get him into Superhero type stuff that he can enjoy with his Uncle, but none are suitable for that so far.

He's only just turned 4, so any recommendations? There is a kids Justice League title I have seen, is that a bit more kid friendly?

• Paid Members
Only downside to most of them, if you can even call it that, is that they are quite violent. I want to watch some with my nephew, to get him into Superhero type stuff that he can enjoy with his Uncle, but none are suitable for that so far.

He's only just turned 4, so any recommendations? There is a kids Justice League title I have seen, is that a bit more kid friendly?

There's a Children of the Avengers animated movie. Although it does have old Hulk in it, and he is super scary.

• Paid Members

It's a series, not a film, but he'd probably enjoy Super Hero Squad. It's basically Marvel's The Avengers for kids, so heavy on comedy, light on violence. As for watching it with him, it's about as painful as any cartoon aimed at under 12's, but there's a few episodes that are legitimately laugh-out-loud funny (mostly the Thor ones).

There's a few full episodes on youtube and I'm pretty sure there's a DVD or two out for it.

• Paid Members
It's a series, not a film, but he'd probably enjoy Super Hero Squad. It's basically Marvel's The Avengers for kids, so heavy on comedy, light on violence. As for watching it with him, it's about as painful as any cartoon aimed at under 12's, but there's a few episodes that are legitimately laugh-out-loud funny (mostly the Thor ones).

There's a few full episodes on youtube and I'm pretty sure there's a DVD or two out for it.

Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow (2008)

Was what I was talking about. Hulk has a beard! Pretty sure its not a series.

It pops up on one of the kids channels from time to time. As does Hulk vs Thor. Which I thought was a bit too violent for kids TV.

Haven't seen Super Hero squad. Is that on TV in the UK?