The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
It's not just a hearing aid like this one then?

No because there's no one around her talking with her.

Okay she is in the middle of a crowded sidewalk, and needs to hear all around her. doesnt need to be people talking at her directly does she?.

....sooooo why is she talking? Seriously, did you even read what you just posted?

It's not just a hearing aid like this one then?

Okay she is in the middle of a crowded sidewalk, and needs to hear all around her. doesnt need to be people talking at her directly does she?.

....sooooo why is she talking? Seriously, did you even read what you just posted?

I did read it, and it made sense in my head at the time. Obviously, on reflection it makes as much sense as an artichoke humming the theme to Dad's Army whilst hopping on a pogo stick.

Im sorry for being a plank in this instance

To re iterate I must pay attention to what Iam watching and have now rewatched it several times and some further points

1. Guy plugging festival and movies he makes, makes interesting point about 'hearing aid' mobile phone or whatever. That he is leading and all persuasive and carries on repeating the the same point is the same kind of distraction technique that Derren Brown uses to make people believe what he is saying in order to pull off his tricks

2. Viewing it with

, you cannot see her mouth move until the end. The films quality even with zoom ins and whatever means that it is impossible to distinguish between the end of whatever is in her hand and her mouth. until she turns toward the camera at the end (where her mouth is set too far back for you to see until it is turned to camera). You cannot see her talking until she turns to camera

So no, I dont think it's a mobile phone and she isnt a time traveller. My first thought was a crystal radio which is possible according to some of the theories. but Im happy that its a hearing aid or similar.

• Paid Members

That's a good point, plus it looks as though she's actually talking as well, doesn't it?

Yes she's definately talking, which is part of why it looks like she's on a mobile phone. Isn't there another picture somewhere thats pretty old, but someone in the crowd appears to have a mobile phone?

EDIT: Not a mobile phone, but here's the picture. I think it's been posted on here before.

viajantes.jpg

Right, so you live on some tiny inbred island and you've never seen or known anyone to talk to themselves?

They don't usually talk to themselves randomly in a movie though. Certainly not a silent one.

Edited by DJ Kris

It's not footage from a movie. It's footage from the premiere of a Charlie Chaplin film, included as an extra on a Chaplin DVD. Also, it's obviously a hearing aid. 'Woman acts strange in 1928, talks to self while holding contemporary hearing aid' is far more parsimonious than 'woman travels back in time, speaks on mobile phone in public to the surprise of no-one near by.' Read the wikipedia page for 'Occam's Razor' KooKoo.

• Paid Members
It's not footage from a movie. It's footage from the premiere of a Charlie Chaplin film, included as an extra on a Chaplin DVD. Also, it's obviously a hearing aid. 'Woman acts strange in 1928, talks to self while holding contemporary hearing aid' is far more parsimonious than 'woman travels back in time, speaks on mobile phone in public to the surprise of no-one near by.' Read the wikipedia page for 'Occam's Razor' KooKoo.

Well as has already been pointed out, no one here is actually claiming she is a time traveller on a mobile phone.

• Paid Members
On the page right before this one, someone was claiming the woman was talking on a mobile phone!

Edit: ARMBAR!

Yes, but they weren't claiming she was a time traveller, they were floating the idea that it might have been a prank by someone remastering the footage fro DVD.