Official Darts Thread

Dai

Been ill these last few days, so have watched pretty much every game. The first two nights have been very entertaining to watch.

Nicholson looked very good. Hit some very nice out shots. Same goes for Webster. After his showing in the World Cup and then this match, I think quite a few people will be putting some cash on him to beat Taylor in the quarters. Speaking of Taylor, he was appaling. Reminded me of the period a few years back when he lost to Manley in the PL. An 88 average, and just one 180. The commentators were having a field day about how bad Taylor was playing. Crazy game to watch.

Co Stompe lost. He played piss poor. Lloyd played average, but it turned into a very exciting game. Adi Lewis looked really classy against Eccles. Eccles was scoring huge, but Adi kept in there and hit some big out shots. Hes looking good for a deep run. Baxter did enough to beat an average Scholten performance. Baxter vs Webster should be very good, and Im picking Webster to win.

Dudbridge/Roy is the pick of the games tonight. Should be easy wins for Whitlock and Anderson, but you never know with Anderson.

Glad James Wade made it past the Spanish No 1!! A 91 average is below his standards, but a win is a win! He's got to up his game in the next round for sure.

Gary Anderson has impressed thus far with a good win and a 103 average in the first round. Barney plays on Wednesday so we'll have to see how his frame of mind is after his World Cup win a few weeks ago.

Mervyn King has hit out at the growing culture of booing players while they are at the oche as he prepares for his opening PDC World Championship match.

King, 44, believes an increasing number of non-darts fans are stepping over the line with their vocal interaction.

He told BBC Radio Norfolk: "I'm up there to do a job, I'm not there to have a jolly with the crowd.

"It's my living. I don't turn up at their work and boo in their ears for eight hours, do I?"

The 2009 semi-finalist, from Bradwell in Norfolk, has defended supporters who come to appreciate top quality darts and hopes vocal spectators keep within the spirit of the game at Alexandra Palace.

He added: "The actual darts fans are fine, it's the others that turn up and get drunk and show no respect to anybody or anything in the venue.

"They're turning up with a football crowd scenario, they're not really darts fans, the true darts fans will give respect to the players.

"It's OK having your favourite, but show some respect when the players are at the board.

"It's not just unfair, it's downright out of order. But the mentality of people - it says a lot about them really."

King will face either Magnus Caris or Dietmar Burger in the first round on Thursday, with his opponent decided earlier the same day.

But the world number six admits he will also have to overcome the emotion of losing his father, who died earlier this year.

"It's not been the greatest pre-tournament regime. I'm now starting to get my head around the game a little bit," he said.

"But there's a lot more to life than darts."

Credit: bbc.co.uk

There's always a couple of players you don't like and King's one of mine. Having said that I'm sorry for the passing of his Dad.

Edited by The Natural

Yeah I agree with the sentiment but, like Ted BO Hankey, you can't play the part of a pantomime villain and then moan when you get booed. Darts IS becoming like a night out/piss up but if you promote is as entertainment then people will treat you as an entertainer.

Yeah McDine and Bates was ultra crap

Maybe its just me but it seems like the standard in the first round was so much better last year, Anderson was the most impressive I saw and Barney was solid last night

Id like Whitlock or Nicolson to win though, should be interesting to see King tonight and see if he loses it