Official Darts Thread

Dai

I have been the Premier League 3 times, 2 of the times the crowd were loud but perfectly friendly and reasonable even if they were not watching the darts as much as you think they should.The other time I thought a riot was going to break out, there were fights kicking off, beer being thrown at each other everywhere and a generally nasty atmosphere. The stewards at the bottom were doing a good job breaking up fights and throwing out nobheads, but in the stands they did fuck all but confascate a beach ball that pissed of the crowd even more. A nasty situation was developing where one fat lad on his own had allegedly knicked someone chair and a group of skinheads were about to kick the shit out of him, the stewards did fuck all when the skinheads were complaining to them and threatening violence.I love the PDC but the crowds can get out of hand, no doubt.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I'll watch the BDO but I find it incredibly depressing at times, and the way the BDO supporters clamour for piss poor reasons why the PDC isn't infinately better than their organisation.If Martin Adams wins, he'll be going around saying he matched Eric Bristow's record of 3 back to back titles, which is laughable seeing as the world's best were playing in it back then.Be prepared for 20 dart legs and plenty of visits with scores such as 26.

The way I look at it, yes the PDC has the tecnically better players, by some margin, but that doesn't mean the BDO isn't worth watching.I liken it to watching Barcelona vs Real Madrid compared to watching a League 2 match. You're not going to see so many stepovers, but if it's a compelling game of two even sides, it can be just as entertaining.Case in point - this remains the greatest darts match ever, IMO:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...rts/8425631.stmI'm probably as alone in my thoughts on that as I am in the football analogy, though. As Murtz said, it seems the majority of darts watchers these days don't have any interest unless you do it in 9. Edited by Statto

What's so bad about the PDC audience? Are they like the equivalent to ROH type crowds? Sitting there applauding the dartsmanship level?

The main thing for me is booing while throwing. In an environment where it can be off putting it's just not on. A team game like football is one thing but 1 vs 1 where you're there (or at least should be) to see the best quality darts you can it just seems daft. Why would you pay money to decrease the quality and standard of the sport? The only answer I can see is because you are a massive dick.Then this year the tables vs stands football type chants started which is a whole new level of dick.

I'll watch the BDO but I find it incredibly depressing at times, and the way the BDO supporters clamour for piss poor reasons why the PDC isn't infinately better than their organisation.If Martin Adams wins, he'll be going around saying he matched Eric Bristow's record of 3 back to back titles, which is laughable seeing as the world's best were playing in it back then.Be prepared for 20 dart legs and plenty of visits with scores such as 26.

The way I look at it, yes the PDC has the tecnically better players, by some margin, but that doesn't mean the BDO isn't worth watching.I liken it to watching Barcelona vs Real Madrid compared to watching a League 2 match. You're not going to see so many stepovers, but if it's a compelling game of two even sides, it can be just as entertaining.Case in point - this remains the greatest darts match ever, IMO:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...rts/8425631.stmI'm probably as alone in my thoughts on that as I am in the football analogy, though. As Murtz said, it seems the majority of darts watchers these days don't have any interest unless you do it in 9.
That match was incredible. As good as anything I''ve ever seen.One thing I've noticed from the PDC events I've been to is that most of the crowd dont even watch the Darts. They just seem to be going to get pissed and get on TV, there were a few guys sitting next to me at one event who didn't look at the board once, they were just sitting there chatting Edited by Jonyp

• Paid Members

The way I look at it, yes the PDC has the tecnically better players, by some margin, but that doesn't mean the BDO isn't worth watching.I liken it to watching Barcelona vs Real Madrid compared to watching a League 2 match. You're not going to see so many stepovers, but if it's a compelling game of two even sides, it can be just as entertaining.

See, I could live with that as I support a lower league Football side myself.It's the BDO supporters who try to claim parity or even superiority that gets my goat, and Martin Adams etc who blindly claim to be world champion. Edited by garynysmon

I was a BDO loyalist for several years, but since about 2006 PDC really took over for me. Tony Fleet's appearance at the lakeside in 2010 was the final nail in the coffin as far as me giving half a shiny shite about the BDO went.Here's the first leg of Tony Fleet's BDO appearance for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I love the way that the only treble he hit, left him on a bogey number :laugh:

• Paid Members

I'll tell you one thing the BDO has over the PDC - Martin Fitzmaurice, the brilliant old bastard. Much better than Sky's rent-an-MC. I love the way 99% of matches are announced as "England...vs England..."I'm always heartened by the fact that all BDO players still use music from 1995 or before for their walk-on. A little bit of darts died the day someone told the PDC crowd the Now! series continued after 30.

• Paid Members

Glen Moody coming out to Bronski Beat and throwing some shapes was a real highlight of the 2008 Worlds.

I won a fair bit of money in that match when Glenn was beaten. A live bet popped up on William Hill asking if you thought he would win a set at 7/1. Stuck