~*UKFF's Children Thread*~

Kookoocachu

229677_10150176514457634_626962633_7211159_6455343_n.jpg

My daughter Lily, born on Sunday morning following a 52 hour labour which my wife really could have done without...

Congratulations!

Anyone have any children with special needs?

Dyllan is autistic. He is extremely clever and has scarily advanced skills when it comes to using computers, phones and gadgets in general, as well as sorting and creating patterns by size and colours. People are amazed by him, yet his social skills are off, and he can't say a word. He will be 3 in September.

We're finally getting the help we need as we have been struggling with his speech and diet. He's been seeing a speech therapist since his 2nd birthday and his diet problems bring me to tears sometimes, he has been seeing a dietician for a few months but we have yet to make any progress at all, infact it's getting worse. He also has quite a severe gluten intolerance something which I have recently discovered is often linked to autistic children.

I'm learning with Dyllan in all of this. I've got experience in adult mental health but not autism and I'm finding it all extraordinary. Since his diagnosis it's a massive weight off my back, but I'm a bit scared as it's all a bit daunting.

My daughter faith was diagnoised with autism when she had just turned 3. She had no speech just noises ,diet problems and had no social skills. Im glad to say since she has been in a special needs school she has come along leaps and bounds . She speaks a lot more now, has friends and even tho she has bad days the improvement has been amazing.

That's comforting to know, thankyou for sharing. He isn't in preschool at the moment as I can't afford it and his funding won't start until Jan 2012 (the term after he turns 3). How old is your daughter now? When did she start preschool? What advice have you found the most helpful or tips? Sorry so many question but I'm sure you understand :)

EDIT: Did she also communicate by squeaking like a guinea pig? Or is that a Dyllan-ism lol

I defo understand when i found out bout faith i wanted as much info as i could find. Faith started school at bout 3 and a half she turns 5 in the next few weeks. Most helpful advice was to take her to mums and tots or other things of the sort . At first she ignored all other kids and just lined up all the toys again and again but after a while she stared to mingle and when she started school it was a bit easyier beind around all the kids. Also the ipad has a lot really good apps that are geared towards autistic kids

• Paid Members

We go to lots of toddler groups but as you say, preferring to sit by himself and line things up!! I shall have to start taking pictures of his work, especially when he makes patterns. We have coloured round fridge magnets, and the first time he ever played with them he sorted them out by colour, and then lined them up in 2 of each colour, like 2 red, 2 white, 2 green and then again 2 red 2 white 2 green.

I have about 4 folders full on my iPhone full of aids like flash cards and phonics. Just trying out a new one now and he's starting to get the hang of it but doesn't realise that he needs to show it to me to tell me what it is he wants and that it his communication tool. Whatever, it was free lol

Does she sign? Dyllan can do makaton quite well, but he has to be in the mood for it, and wont use it to express his needs or anything. I have to say "Say thankyou" and he'll do the sign.

Dyllan doesn't mind playing with the other children, but only if they come to him. He won't actively seek out and look for people to play with.

Faith was the same with the lining up always by colour and 2 by 2. She used to know a little bit of sign but now she has enough words to get by. At the mo the school is trying to learn her 5 words in a row to make a sentance. She learnt how to do 3 in row over last few months. She used to be terrible around other kids i think school and us having another kid who she was always around helped her a lot. She is still in nappys which we and the school are working on with her and were hoping to have her toilet trained by the end of the year. She also still has to have a pram cause she has no sense of danger and in the past has tried to run into busy roads.

• Paid Members
Faith was the same with the lining up always by colour and 2 by 2. She used to know a little bit of sign but now she has enough words to get by. At the mo the school is trying to learn her 5 words in a row to make a sentance. She learnt how to do 3 in row over last few months. She used to be terrible around other kids i think school and us having another kid who she was always around helped her a lot. She is still in nappys which we and the school are working on with her and were hoping to have her toilet trained by the end of the year. She also still has to have a pram cause she has no sense of danger and in the past has tried to run into busy roads.

Everyone with more than one child who I have spoken about their autistic child to has said that having another child has been the best tool.. They learn 'with' them alongside them and they can help take care of them etc. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen for me for a very long time ;)

Dyllan's potty training is...interesting. He is petrified of his actual potty, yet will sit on a toilet seat just fine. He hasn't 'done' anything yet though, he'll sit there for half an hour not doing anything, then get off and pee on the bathroom floor :(

He also has no sense of danger either and will never respond to his name. He will walk with me and hold my hand but prefers to be in a pushchair. I think he gets a bit overwhelmed.

The thing with autism is that it effects every child differently. So if he is doing things differently to other autistic children it's not necessarily something to worry about.

Keep trying with makaton, but also try pictures/symbol cards if possible. They can be very helpful.

• Paid Members
The thing with autism is that it effects every child differently. So if he is doing things differently to other autistic children it's not necessarily something to worry about.

Keep trying with makaton, but also try pictures/symbol cards if possible. They can be very helpful.

We're going to have to grab tea and compare notes once Oak House's support has started.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Shameless plug:

Dyllan will be taking part in this year's Train Walk raising money for the Isle of Wight's National Autistic Society branch. It's a great cause and the money will be going towards resources for families affected by all aspects of Autism on the Island.

If you could spare some change, The sponsorship form is here. Also, if he raises more than