General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

Sorry to disappoint, but I actually didn't like Inglourious Basterds at all. Tarantino's worst film so far. I know what Galaxy means, both those directors have a habit of going totally film school and trying to ram as many references, genres and retro effects in as possible, rather than concentrate on the finer arts of cinema.

Tarantino is at his best when he tries to make a film with a consistent tone - Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Deathproof (once he gave up with the artefact shit after the first 5 minutes).

So, I guess we can discuss this here. Was just watching Christopher Lee's 2011 Christmas message, which in itself is fascinating. He did 4 films last year, including an upcoming Tim Burton movie.

Anyway, he says of The Hobbit that he hopes to still be alive when it comes out, but that as it's not out for another year he's not sure.

He does now look incredibly frail, a big change from when I last saw an interview with him probably in 2010. And it's sad because he clearly doesn't have long left, and he's one of those actors who is a link back through the history of cinema, his first film being in 1948. I hope that if he does pass, he is appropriately honoured because, really, he's a quite phoenomenal actor.

• Awards Moderator
So, I guess we can discuss this here. Was just watching Christopher Lee's 2011 Christmas message, which in itself is fascinating. He did 4 films last year, including an upcoming Tim Burton movie.

Anyway, he says of The Hobbit that he hopes to still be alive when it comes out, but that as it's not out for another year he's not sure.

He does now look incredibly frail, a big change from when I last saw an interview with him probably in 2010. And it's sad because he clearly doesn't have long left, and he's one of those actors who is a link back through the history of cinema, his first film being in 1948. I hope that if he does pass, he is appropriately honoured because, really, he's a quite phoenomenal actor.

Did he not get the Bafta Fellowship last year?

I was very pleased to see him in Hugo recently, but even in character he wasn't looking too good. Hope he can hang on until The Hobbit's been and gone; can't imagine he'd ever retire.

I just find him trying to slam in genres and references for the sake of it. He used to be far more subtle with it, now its just shoving it in your face and tbh his films now resemble one big mess. Inglorious Bastereds wasn't a bad film, but it was far too baggy. Could have edited a lot of that stuff out. The opening scene showed QT can still produce brilliant moments, but he needs to get away from the fan boy shit he's spewing out. I blame Eli Roth.

Edited by GalaxyV.2

I found Inglorious Basterds to be like Tarrantino's twilight princess. In that he shoved in as much Tarrantino-esque stuff to show people he was over the grindhouse thing and tried to remind people as such with his stuff by numbers. In mi opinion anyway. I've read articles about how it's actually Tarrantino's ego in full whack. Either way, it left me cold. And I liked his previous films

Anyone got any news on the new Die Hard supposedly coming out this year?

IMDB has it down for a feb 14th 2013 release over here

John mclane and his son take on local russian forces and patrick stewart is listed as a russian general.

dont sound right to me. EDIT: wikipedia backs it up though

Edited by iamtheman

• Awards Moderator

Probably not the right place for this, but I've just had a read through Empire's rundown of all the Best Picture Oscar winners - good read if you have some minutes spare. Discovered I've seen about 30 out of 85 of them. Got another 5 recorded that I've never got round to watching, and one (from the 30s) is now apparently near-impossible to find, but still, not even half - I haven't done particularly well there! (Though I'm 16/20 for the past two decades...)

• Paid Members
Probably not the right place for this, but I've just had a read through Empire's rundown of all the Best Picture Oscar winners - good read if you have some minutes spare. Discovered I've seen about 30 out of 85 of them. Got another 5 recorded that I've never got round to watching, and one (from the 30s) is now apparently near-impossible to find, but still, not even half - I haven't done particularly well there! (Though I'm 16/20 for the past two decades...)

Cavalcade, yes? Amazing and actually quite sad to think that a film winning the most prestigious award in film can become almost extinct.

Somehow I've only managed to see 25 of them. The drop in quality from the films that were winning this award up to the early 80s compared to now is really quite shocking. Chicago, for fuck's sake.

• Awards Moderator

Cavalcade, yes? Amazing and actually quite sad to think that a film winning the most prestigious award in film can become almost extinct.

Somehow I've only managed to see 25 of them. The drop in quality from the films that were winning this award up to the early 80s compared to now is really quite shocking. Chicago, for fuck's sake.

That's the one. And one of the nominees from a few years before that (The Patriot*) is now totally lost, which is also a great shame. The idea of lost films makes me sad - you don't expect it from such a comparatively modern medium.

Chicago, yeah... what happened there?! Not that I've seen it - the only reason I would plan to is to increase that 30 to 31 - so I can't really judge, but still...

*unfortunately not the slightly rubbish Emmerich film where Mel Gibson defeats England again, but he's American this time

Currently reading through it (into the 90's) and the constant use "probably not" or other variations of it is getting on my nerves, if the writers is too scared to outright say no it didn't deserve to win then there should never have been a did it deserve to win? section.

EDIT

Alright they said no to Dances with Wolves but people have been ripping on Kevin Costner's for years anyway.

Serious question here is there a legitimate reason why certain genres are almost always ignored? or is it just old fashioned snobbery?

Edited by The King Of Swing

People still go on about Forrest Gump and Dances With Wolves winning like its the greatest injustice in the history of the world. Give it a rest. Much as I love Goodfellas, I'd take Dances with Wolves over it. I don't really care about Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank!

Some ones that stuck out for me, the only one I really care about to rant over is 2010 - The Kings Speech...really? I mean REALLY? *The Miz* Really? True Grit would have walked it for me, but I find pretty much every film nominated was superior to it. Firth was good, but by God I hated Geoffrey Rush. Hammy-est role of all time.

2008, maybe I'd go for Milk over Slumdog, 2007 I'd maybe go for There Will Be Blood, if only just. 2005 - Anything over Crash, should have been Brokeback. 2002 Chicago, nah. Its AWFUL. The Pianist out of the nominated ones, but the lineup ain't that good. 1997 - LA Confidential. I've never seen all of Titanic, but I can't imagine its better than LA Confidential. 1989, never seen Driving Miss Daisy, but Field Of Dreams, Dead Poets Society and Born On The Fourth of July are all worthy winners. 1984 - I would have went for The Killing Fields over it Amadeus. 1980 - never seen Ordinary People, but there aren't many films that are superior to The Elephant Man, and you know Raging Bull was there too. As controversial wins go i think 1976 Rocky is up there, All The Presidents Men, Network, Taxi Driver! i dunno man. Jump to 1948 - Hamlet. I remember watching it in School and finding it really boring, but a long time has passed since then, but surely The Treasure of Sierra Madre was robbed here!

I've wasted an hour...may I also add its written by a smary tosser.

Edited by Cobra1000