General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
Texas Chainsaw remake was better than the original, which is possibly the shittest, most overrated and overhyped film of all time. Jessica Biel > Fat Squealing Cripple.

I do think the hype has damaged TCM for new viewers, but for it's time it was quite a good movie. It still pisses me off when it's reffered to as a video nasty.

Texas Chainsaw remake was better than the original, which is possibly the shittest, most overrated and overhyped film of all time. Jessica Biel > Fat Squealing Cripple.

I do think the hype has damaged TCM for new viewers, but for it's time it was quite a good movie. It still pisses me off when it's reffered to as a video nasty.

I think if you try and compare it to a modern movie it's going to look like a sack of crap but that was always part of its appeal to me, the nasty production,the unknown actors. It can't compete on the gore stakes with things like Saw or Hostel biut that was never really the point.

I think if you try and compare it to a modern movie it's going to look like a sack of crap but that was always part of its appeal to me, the nasty production,the unknown actors. It can't compete on the gore stakes with things like Saw or Hostel biut that was never really the point.

I think I`ve mentioned it before somewhere but i`ll repeat the sentiment.

`Video Nastys` or the `banned` films of yesteryear have to be viewed on a 3rd generation video tape. The film itself is not important, it was the excitement, the law breaking and the fuzzy picture that made the experience of watching a film 10x better than any digital 3d pish you get these days.

• Paid Members

I think I`ve mentioned it before somewhere but i`ll repeat the sentiment.

`Video Nastys` or the `banned` films of yesteryear have to be viewed on a 3rd generation video tape. The film itself is not important, it was the excitement, the law breaking and the fuzzy picture that made the experience of watching a film 10x better than any digital 3d pish you get these days.

It's because of the 3rd generation shittiness of the quality that films like Snuff "Had real murders" in them.

The quality of the special effects now look appauling, but in the grainy heyday, they were so real it was untrue.

The ending shot from the original of Leatherface dancing around with the chainsaw as the sun rises is so fucking beautiful that the rest of the film could be stock footage from a box company and I'd still love the film to pieces.

Sir I could hug you. I've been blabbing on for years about that scene, it's only about 10 seconds long but you're right, it's beautiful. It's just such a departure from the rest of the movie, he doesn't give a shit that the girl got away, it's strangely peaceful and just epic as fuck.

• Paid Members
The ending shot from the original of Leatherface dancing around with the chainsaw as the sun rises is so fucking beautiful that the rest of the film could be stock footage from a box company and I'd still love the film to pieces.

Sir I could hug you. I've been blabbing on for years about that scene, it's only about 10 seconds long but you're right, it's beautiful. It's just such a departure from the rest of the movie, he doesn't give a shit that the girl got away, it's strangely peaceful and just epic as fuck.

Leatherface [thinking to self]: "No girl to keep an eye on, creepy brother's dead, the cook is back at the house - I'mma gonna do my chainsaw dance!"

Leatherface-slashers-2835054-352-234.gif

"Bet you can't do this can you, grandpa, you bastard!".

• Moderators

I've always said that the remake absolutely destroys the original, barring two moments that are pretty untouchable in the whole of horror. One is that ending. The sound of that chainsaw, as he whirls around, is horror for me. It's just so wild. The second is the sheer bluntness of the first(?) kill. The door slides open, there's an absolutely brutal hammer hit, he drags the body inside, and... what the fuck did we just see? It's incredible. Confusing in the way it just happens out of nowhere, and to this day, the most violently blunt kill in all of horror. But other than that, the remake has its number on all levels. Biel's sweaty tits, R. Lee Ermey as one of the most grotesque characters ever, and Old Monty falling off the toilet. Mwah, my friends.

Another horror remake that's awesome, and probably better than the original (I haven't seen it, but it's a Troma film, so probably wasn't much cop) is this year's Mother's Day, which is fantastic.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen even the original Texas Chainsaw so I can't really talk about those, but the best horror remake by far has to be The Thing. It took an amazing original and made it even better. Probably John Carpenter's greatest achievement.

• Moderators
I haven't seen even the original Texas Chainsaw

How does this happen?!

And yeah, Carpenter's The Thing is a top 5 all time horror movie, for sure. It's in that weird category of remakes that don't feel like remakes though, because the 50s aesthetic is so far removed from the 80s vibe, like The Fly, and it's just so great.

• Paid Members
I haven't seen even the original Texas Chainsaw

How does this happen?!

And yeah, Carpenter's The Thing is a top 5 all time horror movie, for sure. It's in that weird category of remakes that don't feel like remakes though, because the 50s aesthetic is so far removed from the 80s vibe, like The Fly, and it's just so great.

Texas Chainsaw is one of those films, I think we all have them, that you have heard so much about that you almost feel like you've watched it and therefore don't need. Do you know what I mean? I don't doubt I will soon enough, though. Straw Dogs was like that with me for years as well and I was blown away by it when I finally watched it.

As for The Thing, certainly, they are very different in many ways but it's a great example of how you can take an excellent idea and an excellent film and make it into another excellent film. I adore the original but I am a huge 1950s sci-fi fan.

How does the The Hills Have Eyes remake compare to the original? Only seen the recent one, and thought it was fairly decent.

Again, very different. I thought the remake was very good indeed, far better than I was expecting. I only wish Alexandre Aja could have concocted as satisfying an ending for Switchblade Romance as he did for The Hills Have Eyes. The original is more than different enough that it warrants a watch.