Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Ebay was our first thought (albeit not an Ebay shop), but it's the charges that come with Ebay that put us off. After charging to sell, taking there percentage, Paypal taking there's and then again when transferring to your actual bank, it seems pretty pointless.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ebay was our first thought (albeit not an Ebay shop), but it's the charges that come with Ebay that put us off. After charging to sell, taking there percentage, Paypal taking there's and then again when transferring to your actual bank, it seems pretty pointless.

eBay is a good starting point, though. It's an easy way of reaching a lot of people very quickly, without having to worry too much about search engine positions and crap like that. As a start-up business or pursuit, it's also really useful in terms of developing a customer base.Then when you have enough of a base, move on. Pretty much what Mrs Small did. It does cost, but it may well be worth it in the long run.

• Paid Members

I'm looking at creating a website for my wife. No not like that. She has recently started making hand made bags, cushion covers and the like. Turns out she's really good at it, and will eventually move onto bigger things like curtains and bedding. She is selling them privately at the moment, but she wants a website to help advertise them on a larger scale.I know there are some free web hosting sites. I used one myself many years a go called Freewebs (I think). What would be the most suitable and user friendly site to use?My next question is payment, in terms of people buying her products. Paypal seems the obvious choice, but I'm not sure about the legalities of using Paypal in this circumstance. Anyone who has done something similar to help get her off the ground, it would be appreciated.Thanksxx

Try this book as a starting point...The Handmade Marketplace51UIJ1QH+gL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpgMy sister got bought this for Xmas and it looks and sounds like exactly what your missus is looking for.

Etsy might be a decent alternative to ebay considering it's handmade items.

Would be a good idea to start a website/blog and link to an etsy shop from there.

edit: Just seen that King Pitcos has mentioned it as well.

eBay is a good starting point, though. It's an easy way of reaching a lot of people very quickly, without having to worry too much about search engine positions and crap like that. As a start-up business or pursuit, it's also really useful in terms of developing a customer base.Then when you have enough of a base, move on. Pretty much what Mrs Small did. It does cost, but it may well be worth it in the long run.

A very valid and fair point.

Try this book as a starting point...The Handmade Marketplace51UIJ1QH%20gL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpgMy sister got bought this for Xmas and it looks and sounds like exactly what your missus is looking for.

Cheers for that. I'll definitely look into it.

Etsy might be a decent alternative to ebay considering it's handmade items.Would be a good idea to start a website/blog and link to an etsy shop from there.edit: Just seen that King Pitcos has mentioned it as well.

I'll have a look into this too.Thanks for all your replies. I'm sure it will all help to get us started.

• Paid Members

Any gamers on here?My girlfriends little brother is becoming seriously enthralled in online gaming, so much so that he is looking to get one of them Alienware computers specifically for gaming on. I wanted to ask any experienced gamers on here is the spec on this machine was any good? We want to make sure he is getting some decent before spending a lot of money on something that is just for games. Alienware x51 -

Do you know who made that belt?

JD/Jody/Joe Marshall or J-Mar as he's better known. He won't say anything, his customer service is shit and can't be trusted. Hides behind an illness whenever he's called out and thinks his shit doesn't stink because he does work for the WWE. I was lucky to get my belt off him but others hae been waiting a long time to get theirs, he also now hides behind a PO box address.

Archived