Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

Note to anyone who might be interested: there is a buy 3 get 1 free sale on until wednesday, and the shows from the end of November have been released. For me this means I'll be ordering the four November shows (Honor Reclaims Boston, The Bitter End, Black Friday Fallout and Dethroned) this week, and what with me having the week off starting now I should be up to date by the time they arrive.

• Paid Members

Here's something else...something big!There will be a press conference on Monday in Tokyo to announce the debut of ROH in Japan. The deal is not 100% but it is being reported in Japan that there will be a 7/16 show in Tokyo, working with Pro Wrestling NOAH, and a 7/17 show in Osaka, working with Dragon Gate. ROH owner Cary Silkin taped a message for the press conference and there is an ROH rep who will be at tomorrow's Budokan Hall show (Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Takeshi Morishima for the GHC title). Samoa Joe's opponent for the 2/16 show in New York from NOAH is also expected to be announced in the next few days. wrestlingobserver.com

I know it's a long way off but does anyone think that ROH will remain a DVD entity for the duration of its' existence or that they might make a go of it on the grand scale in regards to a national TV deal and tour the entire US one day like WWE and eventually TNA? They seem to have some big goals or plans from what i can see for the future.

Enough people run ROH that were involved in ECW, and saw what a bind they got into when they expanded. ROH, unlike a LOT of wrestling companies, actually turn over a profit, and the way they do things is the model that indy companies the world over try to emulate. There's really no reason for them to do anything other than what they do now...

• Paid Members

The future of ROH is hard to predict, I imagine if they continue their current trend they will grow in popularity but essentially still be a DVD-sales based promotion for perhaps 5-6 more years. After that, who knows. The skys the limit.

• Paid Members

From PWinsider...

Ring of Honor will make its debut this summer in Japan, it was announced this morning. ROH official Syd Eick traveled to Japan for the official announcement. The promotion will run joint shows on 7/16 in Tokyo with Pro Wrestling NOAH and 7/17 in Osaka with Dragon's Gate. ROH has had working agreements with both companies over the past several years, sending talent overseas and hosting a number of Japanese stars including Kenta Kobashi, CIMA, KENTA, Naomichi Marufuji, and Dragon Kid among others. ROH hosted the first-ever American title defense of Pro Wrestling NOAH's Global Honored Crown championship last September in New York City. The Briscoe Brothers and Nigel McGuinness, among others have toured with NOAH. Jimmy Rave, Austin Aries, Jack Evans, and Roderick Strong have toured with Dragon's Gate. Sports Navi in Japan theorized that this may lead to a "Supershow" with all three promotions working together, but that is just conjecture at this point.

and even more major news...

Ring of Honor announced tonight that Pro Wrestling NOAH's Takeshi Morishima will be coming to the United States, debuting on 2/16 with the promotion in New York City, facing Samoa Joe. The storyline behind the match is that Joe, upset with not getting a rematch against Kenta Kobashi and with not defeating KENTA, issued an open challenge to anyone from NOAH. Morishima was "handpicked" by the company to represent them against Joe when ROH returns to the Manhattan CenterROH also announced that Morishima will challenge Homicide for the ROH championship at the 2/17 return to Philadelphia, Homicide's highest profile title defense to date as well as the company's homecoming to the original city of their birth to celebrate their fifth anniversary.Morishima will also appear on 2/23 in Dayton, Ohio and 2/24 in Chicago, Illinois with Morishima & Nigel McGuinness vs. Samoa Joe & Homicide headlining the event.

Great, great news. Joe/Morishima should be beyond stiff. Surely they wont have Mori beat Homicide I mean It would kind of flush all the build up to his title win down the toilet.Here's my predictions2/16, Morishima over Joe2/17, Cide over Morishima2/23, Morishima over whoever (Personally I'd love to see him beat the shit out of Jimmy Rave just for my own personal ammusment, but he already has a match with Joe, so Morishima/Roderick would be nice)2/24, Morishima/Nigel over Cide/Joe

Edited by Jun Kasai

• Paid Members

I finally saw the Do-Fixer vs. Blood Generation match. I've had it on the PC for months, but I finally bought a DivX DVD player, so I'm catching up on all the matches I couldn't be arsed to watch on the PC!As soon as I saw the 6 Dragon Gate guys, I had an incline that I wouldn't enjoy it. I didn't overall. I've probably missed the whole discussion on why people do like it, but having seen Mo Chatra's old sig had it down as 5 snowflakes or something, I'm struggling to see how it can be rated so highly. Obviously, I have different tastes to other people, I'm all about the story telling of angles and matches and I like to be drawn into a match. This didn't come anywhere close.The first quarter was breathless, with move after move after move and nothing that meant anything. It was better when Dragon Kid was in, a bit slower and more time to take things in. The second quarter was very good. I think they had the HAGE guy trapped and they used lots of innovative moves in a really traditional heat segment. The paing was excellent because each move sank in. The foot stomp onto the guy being held on the ropes was immense. After struggling to work out why the Dragon Kid and his buddy were standing waiting for a tag in a match where tags don't count, they eventually got the hot tag. After that, it degenerated back into my turn, your turn offence that was far too quick and let nothing sink in or mean anything. It meant no more than your average indy match or X division match. It was crisper and the guys executed everything flawlessly, but it had nothing about it that hooked you in. That's not a problem. If that sort of pace and moves floats your boat, then great, but to see something like this talked about as match of the year and 5 stars is a bit much. I wouldn't put it any more than 3 ***. I'm quite disappointed that I wasted 30 minutes!Anyway, what do others think? Sorry to drag up and old discussion and stuff. I just cannot see the attraction of a match like this.Oh, and the ROH ring looks like a trampoline, it's horrible.

• Paid Members

Yes, I too subscribe to the view that this was a DG six man sprint for people who haven't seen DG before, and that it suffered because of it. I maintain that the previous BloodGen vs DoFixer matches were better than this, and it saddens me that some of those people who are gushing about this being the best match ever still haven't bothered to try getting some Dragon Gate shows in and watching these guys in context in front of an audience that cares who wins. Oh, and hearing a "please don't stop!" chant during a Dragon Gate match made me die a little inside.

Speaking as someone who hasn't seen any Dragon Gate shows, for me, the match was just lots of fun. I would say the high rating factor pertains to how likely it is that you would watch it again and again. I mean if I'm really bored or something i could peruse my collection and see that this would be an enjoyable way to spend 25 minutes. With so much wrestling to choose from year in year out and only so many hours in the day to get in the new stuff aswell as going back to watch old stuff from the archives from time to time this kind of match would certainly stick out. Certainly more so than one of the many 1 hour draws that ROH has promoted. I've never had the chance to watch any of the Joe/Punk matches more than once although i am working on that.Anyway, that said it isn't a 5 star+ match by any means but i certainly gave it a rating up there with Cage Of Death and McGuinness/AmDrag from Unified which brought about a three way tie for ROH match of the year for me and all three matches are completely different in their styles.

The Dragon Gate six-man is one of numerous matches I want to re-watch. But I will say right now that I thought it was tremendous. I am not a lover of spotfests and, if anything, I'm a mark for long, technical matches (the Danielson-McGuinness Epic Encounter II match was just so bloody good!). Thankfully, I'm gradually becoming a mark for storytelling, good execution, strong booking and characters.

Anyway, I thought the little touches in the DG six-man made the match. You'd get one team focusing a series of double/triple teams on a single body part of an opponent (gut or head, for example). The first move would be quite strong, the second strong and the third really strong. Each move built on the last and reached a climax that elicited a good pop from the crowd. The whole match was built in that way, hence the huge cheers for the finish. Having seen no Dragon Gate at that point, I got that the two teams didn't like each other and that there was a face-heel dynamic.

I have four Dragon Gate discs now (King Of The Gate 2005 on the way) so I'm in the very early stages of building a collection. Seeking out the earlier Do Fixer-Blood Generation matches is now a priority!

Edited by robgomm