Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

Also posted in the DG thread, in case anybody skips it:

Dragon's Gate announced today in Japan that they would be sending CIMA, Masaaki Mochizuki, Susumu Yokosuka, Dragon Kid, Ryo Saito, Genki Horiguchi, and Shingo Takagi to the Ring of Honor events in Detroit, Michigan on 3/30 and 3/31 during Wrestlemania 23 weekend. Dragon's Gate sent many of the same talents to last year's ROH events in Chicago the weekend of Wrestlemania 22. That led to one of the best matches of 2006, a six man tag featuring Blood Generation of CIMA & Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino vs. Do Fixer of Ryo Saito & Genki Horiguchi & Dragon Kid during ROH's "Supercard of Honor" event.

Looks like the line-up will be slightly different to previously announced by DG...

Ring Of Honor and Dragon Gate are thrilled to announce that seven Dragon Gate stars have been signed to compete on ROH's double shot in Detroit on March 30th & 31st. Last year Dragon Gate brought six top talents to ROH for the triple shot during The Milestone Series. The result was several excellent bouts including The Wrestling Observer match of the year. Tickets are now on sale for both 3/30 & 31 at www.ROHwrestling.com or by calling 215-781-2500.Complete match details will be released after the Fifth Year Festival. You can expect one night to feature several ROH vs. Dragon Gate matches. ROH officials are hoping to put together a six man tag that can rival the match of the year from "Supercard Of Honor" for the other night. These plans are subject to change. One thing you are guaranteed is that these exceptional athletes will be put in the best matches possible to give you the most bang for your buck. The official list that is signed for 3/30 & 31 in Detroit include:-CIMA-Naruki Doi-Ryo Saito-Dragon Kid-Shingo-Masaaki Mochizuki-Susumu YokosukaThis will mark the ROH debuts of Mochizuki and Yokosuka. CIMA, Doi, Saito and Dragon Kid were all part of last year's huge shows. When you add other Dragon Gate veterans like Matt Sydal, Jack Evans, Roderick Strong, Austin Aries and Jimmy Rave to the mix the match possibilities are endless. It is also possible that the Dragon Gate stars will be placed in first time ever dream matches against other regulars on the ROH roster.The addition of these seven unique talents insure that both the Detroit events will be well rounded, can't miss shows. Keep checking ROHwrestling.com for more big announcements for this weekend.

• Paid Members

February 11th: Bruno Sammartino will be heading to Detroit this year and it will only be for Ring Of Honor. The legendary Sammartino will appear and sign autographs on the Friday, March 30th ROH show in Detroit. There will be tens of thousands of wrestling fans traveling into Detroit that weekend. Now they will get a chance to meet Bruno!!! Please note that Sammartino will only be appearing on the March 30th event as ROH presents a doubleshot in Detroit on 3/30 & 3/31. Save 15% on tickets to both shows now at ROHwrestling.com.

Sammartino on the friday night show~!In other news from the same newswire, Doug Williams is going to be on ROH's US shows on April 13-14 in Long Island and Edison.

• Paid Members

Considering I've not seen any ROH since 2005, I've noticed they've got a bit of a sale on the site, I'm just wondering what the best 5 shows are from 2006? I'd appreciate some help ~ Many thanks.

I've not seen much from 2006 myself, but I'd strongly reccomend Unified (Liverpool, with Bryan Danielson vs Nigel McGuinness to unify the World and Pure titles) and Glory By Honor V Night 2 (with Danielson vs KENTA for the world title, McGuinness vs Naomichi Marafuji for the GHC world title and a lot of other really good stuff).

Just got out of tonight's show at the Manhatten Centre. Results and brief thoughts (I'm sure a far more considered piece will appear somewhere when I get home):*Morishma creamed Pelle Premeau in an open challenge. Went about 10 seconds, ending with wicked backdrop suplex. Morishma on the mic after talking Jap smack about Joe.*Delirous beat Adam Pearce. Good enough match. Pearce and Haggadorn teased a break-up after.*Alison Danger and Sara Del Ray beat Dasey Haze and Alexia? in Shimmer match. Haze only in match a few moments before Lacey dragged her to the back. Rather brief, but okay while it lasted.*Joe did his goodbye to NYC speech. Plenty of please don't go chants. Called out Morishma, but got McGuiness instead, leading to a pretty heated brawl.*Jack Evans outlasted Shingo, Jimmy Jacobs and the returning Xavier in a thrilling four-way. For this type of thing this was pretty great. Xavier was first out, but he really looked good in his first match back in ROH in years I figure.Naomichi Marafuji announced for the May return to Manhatten Centre.*BJ Whitmer beat Brent Albright in tables are legal match. Pretty crazy. Finish was exploder off table assisted top turnbuckle through two tables laying side by side in the ring. About a dozen tables broken during the match (which kinda dulled the effect a little, but every spot topped the next).*Chris Daniels and Matt Sydel beat Austin Aries and Roderick Strong to retain ROH tag titles. Match suffered during the first half because they decided to go with it after the tables match instead of taking the logical step of going to the interval (though it did take them at least 15 minutes to clean up after that match anyway). Got really decent in the second half when crowd started to get into it. Aries had a bit of a shocker, knocking himself silly with his tope suicida thingy, smashing his face off the guard barrier. Back in the ring soon after he went for a lionsault and botched badly. It seemed from my vantage point that he jumped from too far away, ended up tearing a leg muscle or something, causing him to land pretty nasty on his head. Finished the match, though, and was still using his injured leg for all manner of backbreaker-type moves. Major surprise after with Strong turning on Aries. Strong and Davey Richards laid the beatdown, with Strong announcing a new faction called the No Remorse Corps (kinda sounds a bit TNA to me).Interval just as long as those back home (and I might add that the show started late as well. Seems things don't change anywhere in the world).*Colt Cabana and Nigel McGuiness beat The Briscoes in a "bonus" tag match. Pretty great in parts, though I can't say I remember that much about it.*Samoa Joe put Morishma to sleep with the kokina clutch. Really decent match, with Morishma really impressing the NYC fans (nowhere near a Kobashi reaction, probably not a KENTA either, but he was over good). *Homicde copkillaed (and how!) Jimmy Rave to retain the ROH world title. Decent and all, but show had gone on something like 3:30 before they even got out there. Change of character for Rave has him getting far more cheers, which I'm not too convinced is a good thing.Show ended about 2345. Place was sold out, with a good amount of people standing. I had second row balcony seat, which was good apart from the fact I had a photographer sitting right infront of me, meaning I'm aching now from having to move around so much. I'm off to the Philly show tomorrow - it's going to have to be good to top this show...

Night 2 Results -

Pre-Show1) Rhett Titus & Pelle Primaeu defeat Bobby Dempsey & ???. Pelle pins Payne after a stunner.2) ROH Top of the Class Trophy: Shane Hagadorn defeats Alex Payne. Hagadorn won by forcing Alex to submit.3) Sara Del Ray defeats Mitch Franklin. The American Angel won via submission.ROH 5th Anniversary - Event 21) Nigel McGuinness defeats TJ Perkins. Nigel pins Perkins after the lariat. Said to be a great opening match.2) Austin Aries defeats Claudio Castagnoli. Aries said to be walking fine to the ring, but showing pain during the match. Austin won after hitting a 450 splash.- Austin called out Roderick after the match, but Jack Evans comes out instead. He's against taking sides. Roderick and Davey come to the ring. "Roddy is awful on the mic"... Roderick calls out Jack to pick sides, but he doesn't decide anything. End of segment.3) Street Fight: Colt Cabana & BJ Whitmer & Daizee Haze defeat Adam Pearce & Jimmy Jacobs & Lacey. Whitmer pins Jimmy after "super exploder". Very bloody match, with chairs being thrown all over the place, including into the audience.4) Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe defeat El Generico & Kevin Steen. Briscoes get the win after hitting a combo Shooting Star Press-Guillotine Leg Drop combo on Kevin Steen. "Unfuckingbelievable" match, with the crowd chanting "Please Come Back" at Generico and Steen afterwards.5) Samoa Joe defeats Jimmy Rave. Samoa Joe pins Jimmy Rave, and is now giving a goodbye speech. "Match was nothing special"...um, except that it was JOE'S LAST ROH MATCH IN PHILLY!- Crowd near 1,000.- INTERMISSION -6) FIP Championship: Roderick Strong vs Delirious. Aries tried to attack Strong before the match, but never got to him. Match is ongoing now. During the match, Delirious was knocked out cold. The ref made the 'x' sign, as Roderick dragged Delirious out of the ring. Strong gave Delirious a powerbomb on the outside and went back to the ring. Ref made the 20 count. Delirious looked badly injured. Aries tried to attack Roderick again after the match but doesn't get to him again.7) ROH World Tag Team Titles: Sydal & Daniels defeat SHINGO & Evans. Sydal gets the victory over Jack after a top rope doubleteam Angel's Wings on Jack. Fun match.- After the match, Austin Aries comes out demanding that Jack Evans picks which side he will be on. Jack refuses. Aries says that he's going to find the next generation of stars and begin his own group. Evans vows to do the same, thus making this weekend the weekend of factions.8) ROH World Championship: Takeshi Morishima defeats Homicide. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new ROH World Champion! Very hot finish. Morishima hit Homicide with two T-Bone suplexes, but Homicide kicked out. Morishima hit a lariat, then finished Homicide off with the suplex for the victory. A very pro-Homicide crowd was stunned at the finish. Homicide was visibly crying, losing the belt he worked four years to win.

Wow. Lots of fuel added to the TNA rumours there, as Homicidie's reign is both short and uneventfull. Gabe is obviosuly going to play the Dragongate card as much as possible from now on, with three factions seemingly forming in one weekend.

• Paid Members

Thank fuck they got the belt off Homicide.Glad to see Steen & Generico showing the ROH fans how damn good they are and I hope both men become regulars, it has always bothered me how ROH fans act like ROH has the best roster on the planet but they never even booked Generico when he is clearly one of the best guys out there right now. If ROH booked Necro & Eddie Kingston full-time I'd be the happiest fucker in the world as I would no longer have to watch CZW.

Blimey.Suprising to see Morishima beat Homicide after losing to Joe the night before. I guess it never really hurts to really shake things up with a big suprise now and again (but not week in week out). Still Homicide's title reign is going to be remembered for the chase rather than the reign itself.

Ridiculously brief thoughts on last night's show, because internet access sucks here in Philly.A dog of a place to get too and from (plenty of walking in the snow) but a hot building, and a hot crowd. Six-person tag match was absolutely wild - not so good if you're sitting in the second row (I took a hard shot in the chest from Haze, while Bobby Dempsey shouted at me for getting a little too close to the cat-fight action). Delirous looked pretty much out of it after his match with Strong (his injury may have been an amazingly executued work, but I'm not convinced - looked real to me). Crowd really was quite stunned with Morishma winning. Big pop at the finish, more because people had seen history made more than anything. A couple of bullshit chants when reality set in. Another long show (about 3:45 this time), and hard to judge whether it was better than NYC or not...

Watched Survival of the Fittest 2006 last night. Not a great show although there were a few good matches like Danielson vs Samoa Joe, Aries vs Daniels, and the SOTF main event. Crowd was really quiet for alot of the event though.Will be watching Dethroned and Chicago Spectacular Night 2 next.

Edited by King of my World