Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Moderators

Surely they've used up all of their good faith with this one? I think one of the few ROH iPPVs that actually worked you could watch for free anyway as they fucked something or another up. It was the one with Finlay vs Elgin on it, as Ian popped the link you needed to watch it for free on here.

• Paid Members

Seems to be their only reasonable option, until technology improves to the point where iPPV can be employed properly. It's a shame but I'm sure most fans will not mind watching 12 or even 24 hours later, or whatever it takes to get the show up for 'On Demand' viewing.

I remember back when I was actually pretty heavily into RoH, you had to wait months to actually watch an event that you'd been looking forward to, when you could buy it on DVD. There was no TV or even the prospect of downloading an illegal torrent.

• Paid Members

Probably for the best. Shame ROH is such a comedy show. I quite like a lot of the roster there. Kevin Steen is great, the Matt Hardy/Steve Corino pairing is wonderful, Cliff Compton is a good man. I like the Truth Martini act even though I dont actually like the Truth Martini and the other bloke. That could be a fun act if there was two blokes better that them. ROH suffers from the same thing as TNA. They have some good talent, but overall it isn't much to write home about. Top to bottom it isn't very watchable. They should really bring in Chris Masters and MVP and guys like that. Guys who can talk and work. The Briscoes just aren't a main event act for me.

EDIT: Speaking of which:

All signs are pointing that Mark and Jay Briscoe have wrestled for the last time in Ring of Honor. Yes, that Jay Briscoe, the ROH World Champion. Ring of Honor did not have Mark Briscoe appear on the TV taping on Sunday. They ran an angle that he had been injured the night before against Jay Briscoe leading to Kevin Steen getting involved in the Steel Cage Warfare match that was the main event of the tapings and what ROH built up to in thr 4 weeks of TV. However, Ring of Honor also did an angle where, after defeating Matt Hardy, to retain the ROH Championship, Jay Briscoe was attacked by Hardy and Steve Corino and a couple of other heels and laid out and beaten down..pretty much destroyed and it was described to be as a heavy, heavy, heavy angle. And in speaking to a number of Ring of Honor sources, over the last 12 hours or so, that was the last scheduled appearance for either Briscoe brother for the forseeable future. There is talk they may be departing the company and at the very least they will be on a hiatus for some time. This has nothing to do with the Jay Briscoe Twitter incident, it was something arranged way prior to this PPV & TV taping. The story making the rounds is that they were leaving for greener pastures, but they may not be leaving. Atthe very least they will be on a hiatus and what the hell this means for the ROH Championship, your guess is as good as mine. Common sense would dictate that Briscoe will be stripped of the belt if he is not coming back or if he's going to be on an extended hiatus, similar to TNA stripping Rob Van Dam of his championship in 2010.
Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
there were some issues with the live iPPV stream that wound up distracting from the energy and action in ring.

That's true in the sense that Helen Keller had some issues that wound up distracting from the energy and action of life.

don't think the problem is with iPPV in itself, I suspect the problem is more to do with the promotion sending the feed from the venue. Live internet streaming that works well and reliably uses satellite technology to get the feed from the venue to the servers pushing it out to the end users as unpload speeds, even on lines with fast downloads, can be very poor.

the technology to stream the feed to the end user is fine, there's a few services that do that with no issues. It comes down to money, I guess there aren't enough buys to cover the cost of doing it in a reliable fashion. Recording as live and uploading a day or two later is a good idea if they can't make the live feed work.

I'm pretty certain that the technology is there, it's just whoever ROH who are not using it correctly. The issue most likely I poor hardline Internet connection or 4G connection not sure what they use. Other than that they'd have to be using a poor shitty servers which I doubt is the case.

• Paid Members

It's not just a Ring Of Honor problem though. It seems that any event that pulls more than a couple of thousand viewers is suffering the same fate. Just the weekend before, AAA's TripleMania iPPV stream went to shit and they ended up giving the show away for free on YouTube. Even WWE had issues with streaming WrestleMania this year.

It's not just a Ring Of Honor problem though. It seems that any event that pulls more than a couple of thousand viewers is suffering the same fate. Just the weekend before, AAA's TripleMania iPPV stream went to shit and they ended up giving the show away for free on YouTube. Even WWE had issues with streaming WrestleMania this year.

New Japan have had iPPVs with 50,000+ people watching (which is obviously way more than the 10,000 or so WrestleMania gets on iPPV and ROH's 1,500) and they've had no issues. So clearly iPPV can be done properly, even if there's a lot of people on the stream, but sadly a lot of companies don't seem to know how to do an iPPV properly.

Edited by pgi86

It's worth mentioning that according to AAA the problem was Ustream. Whether you believe them or not is another matter. CMLL have a live free show broadcast on Terra which until a few weeks ago was working superbly and even now is pretty decent. I'd love to know what happened to that though has the quality dropped very suddenly.

I'm still sceptical about ippvs and will be for a long time I think. NJPW might have the infrastructure but that doesn't mean it'll work for everyone else. VOD I'd be more willing to take a punt on than live ippvs.

I'm pleased they've knocked them on the head. Shit (persistently) going wrong does them no favours, hopefully the delay wont lead many of the regulars to read the spoilers instead.

Also, shame about Jay and Mark being on the way out. I have to say their comedic promos and dodgy feud they have just had together does soften the blow though.

• Moderators

What a shite way to vacate the title. ROH have put it all on their website now. Why didn't SPOILER

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

They just put Hardy over him?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Nah. Nobody is daft enough to do an angle like this with the world champion (except when TNA did it with RVD). If they were going to do a storyline like this, they'd have picked Kevin Steen or someone. Its just one of those things that happens when you are to big to be small and to small to be big. Kenny King left as well with the tag belts. There just seems to be constant spanners getting lodged into Ring of Honor these days. ROH reminds me of ECW in 2000 in some ways. Its well past its creative peak, the talent isn't there and everything is fucking up. But they probably have more eyes on them than ever. ROH does well in its markets and its owned by an actual company. Yet the buzz isn't there and there's always something going wrong.

A lot of people are on their way out, with that new Florida developmental starting up. TNA should snap up Kevin Steen. I dont give a fuck if he looks like Wellard off Eastenders in human form. He's a better talker than most of their roster and he has a main event brawling style which would be at home in TNA. And Bully Ray vs Kevin Steen is one of my dream matches.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay