Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Its all gone wrong for Kell Brook in the last few years hasnt it. Been rumored that he'd be pulling out for a few weeks, sure i heard he was badly out of shape. At this point i aint sure the Khan fight ever happens.

• Paid Members

I'll be watching it. Keep swinging back and forth on who I think will win. Been thinking for a while that Usyk edges a decision but the closer it's getting I've got this gut feeling Gassiev might just catch him. Great fight and pretty much as close to 50/50 as it gets for me. 

• Paid Members

Been looking forward to this fight since the semi-finals, both of which were good fights in their own right, but as either wand or egg said at the time didn't have any real drama or momentum shifts to make them great fights. This has potential to follow a similar pattern to the semi-finals but either way it should be a cracking watch. If I was picking a winner right now I'd say Usyk,  but my record of correct predictions all the way through this thread isn't great. 

Liam Smith fighting Jiame Mungia? tonight on BT from Vagas. Mungia beat Ali  (who had previously upset Cotto) as a late replacement for Smith. Mungia is 21 and Golden Boy have high hopes for him. I have only saw him fight once (against Ali) and he looked good. Should be a good fight. I think a lot of the US press expect Mungia to blow him away. 

• Paid Members

The bookmakers have it that way too, Smith is 5/1. I havent seen Mungia fight but Spencer Fearon is fancying Smith to stop him, so im getting a Smith/Usyk double on tonight.

Munguia looked quality at 21. A world champion but a very rough diamond. He's got the power and stamina but needs to tighten up his defence. His big wayward swings will catch up with him against tougher opponents. Smith kept coming and gave it a good go but didn't have the power to deter Munguia.

Fell asleep during Usyk/Gassiev in round 7 and woke up in round 11. Didn't miss much, Gassiev was still eating that jab he had been munching on for the first 7 rounds. Usyk was just uncatchable, I don't get how Gassiev didn't try to work on the inside and throw some bombs. Maybe he just couldn't work out Usyk's rhythm.

Usyk afterwards called out Bellew. Usyk will school him and Bellew won't get hurt. So he can cash out on a heavyweight like Fury.

• Paid Members

Usyk vs Gassiev was disappointingly one sided. 

Munguia vs Smith was quality. Smith did well to last the 12 rounds. He fought well, to be fair. He looked very sharp early on, one of his better performances. But he couldn't sustain it once Munguia's power shots piled up and took their toll. Munguia definitely looks the business and he's only going to get better. He's most likely a couple of years away from hitting his prime. He's going to be a fun fighter to watch as well because has got that power but he's also hittable. Him vs Canelo down the line could be fantastic. 

Enjoyed Whyte vs Parker: 'Gloves Are Off'. Parker is always cool as a cucumber but Whyte just has a way of getting under people's skin. There were a few times when I thought Parker was clearly getting agitated. Mightn't mean anything in the ring but it's interesting to watch in the buildup as they're complete opposites. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

How do you lot see Whyte vs Parker going then? 

I'm thinking Parker on points. People I've spoken to seem to be fancying a Whyte KO more but I can't see it. Not like Parker's chinny, he just went 12 with Joshua and he can box a bit. He's not going to be easy to land the kill shot on. Whyte has grown on me a bit. He's a fiery character, I like that he seems to have really focused on getting himself in proper shape and he's been fun to watch in his recent fights, especially the unexpected corker vs Del Boy. But I think there's a bit of a case of some people are looking at the KO over Lucas Browne and expecting Whyte to do the same here. But as good as Whyte looked against Browne, Browne himself looked terrible and was a sitting duck for that KO all night. Parker is going to be nowhere near as straight forward. It's not like Parker isn't beatable, but I definitely think it's going to be Whyte's toughest test since AJ. If Chisora took him into the trenches and he stood and traded with Whyte, then I can see Parker giving him real issues because he's not as likely to be dragged into a brawl. 

Good fucking fight though. Looking forward to Chisora vs Takam a lot as well, and Benn vs Peynaud 2 has me all giddy.