Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Tyson Fury will be taking on Francesco Pianeta next on August 18th.

Pianeta’s claim to fame is being knocked out on both occasions when fighting for a world title, He lost in the 6th against Wladimir Klitschko back in 2003 and then Ruslan Chagaev in the 1st round in 2015. He has a record of 35-4-1 and he lost his last fight by unanimous decision last month against Croatian newcomer Peter Milas.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

ive got no issue with that, Tyson is still getting his weight down and thats a passable opponent. Decent record but appears to be past his best, they aint taking chances.

This is Saturday...

pacquiao-matthysse-1.jpg

A couple of years ago id have been absolutely buzzing for that. Two of my favorite fighters, but it feels like a bit of an afterthought now. Very little in the way of pre-fight hype. Who knows how it goes? it could turn out to be a hell of a fight.

oh, and Rocky Fielding fights for a World Title (of sorts), dunno how Eddies wangled that but i feels like one of those mission impossibke deals going to Germany.

Zeuge_Fielding.jpg

Pacquiao is promoting the fight himself and has done a pretty shit job to be fair. Two weeks ago the fight wasn't even happening because Matthysse's money was supposed to be in a holding account but it was delayed. They've messed up with PPV & a TV deal in the US so it's being streamed on ESPN's website. I think Boxnation will show it over here.

In terms of the fight, its more of an exhibition bout. The belt is only a regular title and doesn't mean much. Neither have 0's to preserve or winning streaks. Matthysse still has that monstrous power but he's hopeless with speed or angles. In his last fight, he fought a massive welterweight in Tewa Kiram. The guy had no punch power and just moved around the ring. Matthysse was trying to catch him and it made for a terrible fight. Matthysse caught him in the 10th round and it was all over. Hopefully, Pacquiao still has a little of the legs and speed to move around. Pacquiao's punch power has been diminishing as the years go by. He hasn't stopped and opponent in 9 years. So I'm thinking it's either a Matthysse stoppage or Pacquiao decision.

On the undercard, a Chinese boxer, Bin Lu is fighting for a world title in his 2nd fight. I think this is an attempt to beat Lomachenko's record.

On 7/13/2018 at 6:46 AM, Egg Shen said:

oh, and Rocky Fielding fights for a World Title (of sorts), dunno how Eddies wangled that but i feels like one of those mission impossibke deals going to Germany.

I thought this going into tonight's fight. Credit to Rocky for proving us wrong. 

Weird fight though. 

• Paid Members

Even at this stage I can't see past Pacquiao vs Matthyse being a really fun fight. Just don't think the ingredients for a dud are there. Pacquiao's going to have to be busy enough that it's never going to get dull, and if he's not busy and moving enough then chances are Matthyse catches him. 

The next two weeks are going to be quality with Usyk vs Gassiev next week and the stacked Whyte vs Parker card the week after. 

• Paid Members

Zeuge looked more like an awkward teenager who would be picked 2nd to last for football in PE rather than a pro boxer tonight. He never looked like he wanted to be there and he also looked like he hadn't had a tough training camp. Nice to see Brehmer trying to get a fight with Fielding in the ring afterwards. 

Also there was no atmosphere in that arena at all, and there looked to be a lot of empty seats. The German fans that were there were barely making any noise, even at the start of the fight. It just felt like a weird show all round. 

There must have been something wrong with Zeuge. As soon as he went down, the towel was thrown in. Not normal behaviour from your trainer.

Credit to Rocky. He doesn't seem to have a spectacular KO record. But he can pull them out of the bag when he needs to.

• Paid Members

Missed Fielding but im surprised that he won. My mate said the same thing as you guys though, there seemed to be something wrong with Zeuge.

Pac-Man though. I think we saw a combination of a few things there... Pacquiao hasnt slowed that much, Matthysse is past it and it was a great piece of matchmaking. Im a big Matthysse fan but it was quite sad to see him go out like that, his heart didnt seem to be in it.

Dont know where Manny goes from here? Hes holding a World Title now (WBA Regular, same as Rocky fucking Fielding!) but you get the feeling he'll continue to take these massive arena/stadium fights in random places, hes just some crazy showcase piece now. 

• Paid Members

Did I hear the commentators suggesting Pacquiao vs Lomachenko? I mean, it'd be a nice scalp for Lomachenko but fucking hell. 

Great to see Pacquiao do his thing and get his first stoppage in yonks. Shame it was at the expense of Matthyse being a shell of himself but Pacquiao is so much fun to watch when he gets in his rhythm in there. Even now. I think you're right as well, Egg. I don't think he's lost that much, or at least not as much as people make out. He's lost a step but it's not like he's shot. He's not like the fat Roberto Duran who fought into the 90s or anything. He's not embarrassing himself or looking a ton different from how he's always fought. He's just not at his absolute peak anymore. He can still hang to a certain degree though and have exciting fights with the right opponents. I just hope he doesn't carry on until it does get sad. 

• Paid Members

One of the things that Pacquiao still has going for him though that the commentary alluded too id that hes still akward as fuck to fight. Even as his speed decreases he still throws strange punches and comes from weird angles, hes an odd one to figure out, Matthysse simply had nothing for him.

Reading and hearing more about Tyson Zeuge. He's been trying to get out of his contract with Sauerland promotions since April and switch to a rival promoter. Juergen Braehmer said in the post fight interview, they had 6 weeks to prepare for a fight they didn't agree to. It's as if, Zeuge lost on purpose so he would lose the belt so he could move promoters.

I think Pacquiao should stick to fighting anyone who's a similar size to him. All of the welterweight champions are big guys and probably too strong for him. He could clean up at 140lbs, it's just there's no names for him there. Lomachenko would be a good fight and good ticket seller. Or let old Amir finally get his wish and fight Pacquiao.

saw an interview with Eddie saying they are trying to get Joe Joyce on the Whyte/Parker PPV to replace the Kell Brook fight which is now cancelled. Heavyweight heavy card if he does.

ignore that. Just read Joe Joyce wont be ready to fight on that date and has offered to fight on the AJ undercard against Nick Webb.

Edited by Porkchopcash