Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Good Showtime double-header last night.

James DeGale has a bad habit of making fights hard for himself and he did so again against Medina. You'd think if he moved and used his superior skills and speed he'd cruise to a comfortable decision without taking much punishment but he once again decided to lay on the roped and allow Medina to throw more than a 1000 punches his way. It was another exciting fight though and DeGale's style is a winner for fans. I thought the decision was a bit wide and there could even be a case made for Medina winning the fight based on his workrate.

Jack/Bute was workman-like for 8 rounds, Jack was cruising but Bute came on strong toward the end and won most of the second half of the fight. The Mayweather team were pissed at the draw. I wasn't really keeping track but if Bute nicked one or two early rounds then won the last 4 i can see why they had it a draw. I fancy DeGale to beat Jack all day though, i don't see much special about him.

The Super Middleweight division has really turned to shit over the past couple of years. Everyone who was good has moved divisions or retired.

Amir Khan is now talking to anyone who will give him air-time. Now says he could potentially move to MMA. www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36182106/boxer-amir-khan-refuses-to-rule-out-switch-to-mma

"I was at the last SFL show watching the guys at my weight and I swear, even though I have no experience of MMA, I could have stepped in and done the business."

Ebb - Couldn't agree more about DeGale

"I was at the last SFL show watching the guys at my weight and I swear, even though I have no experience of MMA, I could have stepped in and done the business."

Khan has been saying that for years. He was mouthing off cageside at an MMA show at Manchester arena in 2006. I like Amir, but I don't think he grasps how different MMA is to boxing. Either that or he's grandstanding.

Anyway, this is probably the best promo of the year. 

• Paid Members

Yeh, Amir has said that kind of thing before. I think it's all abit tongue in cheek but the press always seems to run with it.

Tyson Fury has taken his weirdness to new levels in the last week or so. He's also doing the worst promotional job of all time leading into the Klitschko fight:

"It'll be halfway through June or something before I'm even in shape. I gotta kill myself in the gym to get my weight off."

"To be honest with you, I'm well sick of it, to be honest. It's going to be my last fight, I think. Shit or bust. All in, I think. I mean it. It's shit or bust, all or nothing. All chips are in. All in. As you say in poker, all in. It's going to be my last fight, win, lose, or draw. I just can't be fucked with it. That's the truth. Being here today is just, like, I'm so sick of it. I've got no motivation to carry on. Same stuff over and over again for years in, years out."

"It can't be topped. So basically, I'm just doing this fight to get a few quid in. That's it. I won't be boxing again. I'm never going back to the gym again. Look how fat my dad is. Look how fat all my brothers are. That's how I'm gonna be after this next fight. Don't ask me to do any more interviews. Don't ask me to do any shit. After this next fight, there is no more boxing. I've got ten weeks left, and that's it. Goodnight, goodbye forever. Enjoy it while you can, that's it. The Furymeister is out of here for sure. I promise. I promise. Because I can't take this anymore. I can't take the bullshit that comes with the fight game. People always dream and want to get in my position, but when they get it, it's not all cracked up to be. It's a load of shite."

"I wanted to retire this time, but I can earn a few more quid. Don't think I'm gonna come there and lay down. I'm gonna fucking come there to fight. Klitschko knows that. You all know that. When the chips are in, the chips are fucking in. Game on. Let's dance."

There's the interview. I know Fury likes to play it up for the camera's but he genuinely looks like a guy there who doesn't really care anymore. What a strange case he is.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

another fight, another Victor Ortiz controversy. Against Andre Berto he genuinely looked quality for a couple of rounds and dropped Berto in round 3. Come round 4 Ortiz got blasted with an uppecut and got dropped hard, he got dropped against shortly after and didn't respond to the ref's question of 'do you want to continue' and the fight was waved off. Ortiz was booed and pelted with rubbish as he left the arena. His heart has been brought into question before but he always provides some kind of crazy drama win or lose.

official PBC highlight.

Its up on Youtube, plenty of streams of it. It was a good fight, not sure how far Conlan can go because it doesn't look like his face can take a punch without swelling up. And add the referee to another British official who is fucking useless. Being able to count to ten must be one of the main requisites of the job, not knowing that number between 8 & 10 is a big problem.

canelo-vs-khan.jpg

Looking forward to this. Going to be a great fight in my opinion. I would rather see Canelo in the ring with someone like Khan in a superfight rather than a mandatory defence in the Middleweight division like Jorge Heiland.

Does Khan have a chance? I think we will see once Canelo lands his first big punch. If he can take it, and then still be able to be quick and do his usual combinations then he has a real chance.

The general thought is that if Khan can keep to his gameplan and stay on his toes for 12 rounds he has a chance. Canelo has not got the quickest of feet and was made to look slow and pedestrian against Mayweather, although that was nearly 3 years ago.

Some pundits think Canelo has improved since then, but i'm not so sure. I still think Canelo will have to much for him.

You can never take your eyes of a Khan fight. I think he will look good forthe first 3 rounds then Canelo will catch up as the fight goes on. Maybe a late stoppage or points win for Canelo.

Would love a Hagler v Hearns tribute though.

• Paid Members

Khan is saying that he plans on standing his ground and trading with Canelo, suicide if that's true.

It's a gonna be a hell of a weekend of fights. Canelo/Khan, Crolla/Barroso over here, Chisora/Pulev in Germany, and the UFC on Sunday :)

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Is Khan irrelevent these days? The fight seems to have gone right under the radar despite it being a World Title fight against a top quality opponent. I dunno if that's because of Khan's reputation now, the fact it's not on Sky or that it's in the states. Probably a combination of all three but Khan just seems lost in the public conciousness these days.

• Paid Members

not sure about that, perhaps in this country due to the fact that he's primarily based in America but this is a huge fight, it'll probably do the best PPV numbers in the States for any fight this year.