Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeh it was a night full of mismatches, typical showcase type card, they can be enjoyable though.

The Knight fight was shown. Eggington/Singleton was also worth tuning in for.

Rocky Fielding continues to do nothing that impresses me really though, saying that, id like to see the Paul Smith fight.

Campbell over Coyle all day, ill drop a few quid on a TKO victory when it happens.

• Paid Members

Did any of you share Jean Pacal's view that the ref stopped the fight too early on Saturday and that he deserves a rematch because of it?

The opinion here was that the ref saved him from being knocked out and risking serious injury. Kovalev was a beast again Saturday and I bet Adonis Stevenson is really pleased that the WBC have made him mandatory

For the title.

The opinion here was that the ref saved him from being knocked out and risking serious injury.

Yep

That is how I saw it. Pascal looked done. Whilst the ref was seeing to Kovalev after his slip, Pascal could barely stand on his own two feet. Pascal had 2 decent rounds before this, but had been rocked earlier in the fight.

If the ref had let it go on, it could have got nasty.

Good that it puts to an end of what was meant to be the card for April 25th in the same arena after him selling DeGale as fighting for a world title and never at any point having a clue if that would be possible. Funny thing was Hearn on Ringside saying Joshua is fighting for the WBC and there was nothing said afterwards lol.

• Paid Members

i had the Kovalev fight ruined for me in work which sucked :( guy is a machine.

I caught up with Premier Boxing Champions on Spike! though. The sister episodes to the big shows on NBC. It had a similar look, slightly toned down but a much better commentary team! Including Jimmy Smith who does a great job with Bellator MMA.

The actual show was the perfect introduction show for anyone casually tuning in, 3 very good fights. Including a wild, brutal heavyweight fight which is always good.The PBC thing is just brilliant, i hope it pays off because the thinking behind it (less about belts more about making good fights), is exactly what boxing needs.

Mayweather Pacman will be on Sky Box Office, no word of the price yet. But it apparently cost them £12 million to get it. I imagine it will be £19.99, unless as someone posted before, they do a bumper British card before and charge £24.99. Could not see it being any dearer than that.

Word on the Digital Spy forums is that it's gonna be more than £20 probably nearer £30 and upwards, as I originally speculated. Sky have pretty much won the deal (If Daily Mail's article is legit) based on offering a PPV split. Boxnation supposedly offered more upfront fees than Sky. But for Sky to make this profitable they'd realistically need to charge more than the usual PPV price.

• Paid Members

...in more sad news for British boxing, Audley Harrison has decided to hang up his gloves.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/audley-harrison-reveals-he-is-suffering-from-traumatic-brain-injuries-as-he-announces-retirement/

all jokes aside, i hope Audley's brain injury doesn't effect him too much in the future.

So Kell Brook had an easy mandatory defence last night against Jo Jo Dan. Dan didn't look like he was in the fight from the start, massive class depth between the pair.

Gary Russell Jr. won his first world title defeating Jhonny Gonzalez within four rounds. Gonzalez was down three times and on the last one the referee stopped the fight. Gonzalez came out in a Perros del Mal t-shirt with Rey Mysterio & Konnan because he was mates with Perro Aguayo, Jr. They also said Gonzalez is married to AAA & Lucha Underground wrestler Sexy Star.

psEm3YF.jpg

Yeah, Dan was totally out of his depth. Did you see Sergey Khomitsky's KO of Etches? Brutal punch to which Jim Watt said straight away that the fight was stopped too early. He did change his mind after the replay though.

Brook vs Khan and Froch vs Ward 2 seem like pipe-dreams. The only super-fight that Hearn might be able to make for the summer is Frampton vs Quigg.

Did you see Sergey Khomitsky's KO of Etches? Brutal punch to which Jim Watt said straight away that the fight was stopped too early. He did change his mind after the replay though.

Jim Watt is pretty rotten these days.

But yeah, even I was surprised at his initial reaction. It was clear Etches was done.

I watched that one with the sound off because I knew they would be hyping Etches up. Every replay mid round was Khomitsky landing a massive hook on Etches because he never kept his hands up. When I did put the sound on at the end, Watt or Halling said Etches was boxing brilliantly, when I thought he was clearly beaten to the punch by the harder shots. Promoters might think twice about bringing Khomitsky over to face off against their undefeated, protected fighters. He took the 0 from Buglioni & now he's done it to Etches.

Edited by Rossman