Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Most anticipated fight of the year for me tomorrow. 

Kovalev V Hopkins. 

K.O machine against ageless wonder. Power vs Knowledge. So on...

Seems to be 50/50 all over place. So who ya think?

I going for Sergey. Rounds 6-8 to put down the old dog. Wouldn't be all surprised at a 12 round UD for B-Hop though.  Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members

If Hopkins win it surely has to rank amongst the most unbelievable achievements in boxing history.

I'd love to see Hopkins win it because it'll be an amazing story, but ive been a Kovalev fan since i first saw him fight. EIther way, im expecting a rough, dirty scrap. Kovalev has already said he's prepared to make it a street fight to match Hopkins unorthodox and at times dirty approach.

If im laying money down id pick Kovalev via stoppage though, one task too many for The Alien.

Pumped.

Did anyone see that Abner Cotto vs. Javier Fortuna fight from last weeks Showtime card? It was a complete clusterfuck from the start, the referee had no control. Early on, Fortuna was bent over so Cotto clubbed him on the back of the head twice until he went down. The referee ruled it a knockdown and then deducted a point from Cotto for rabbit punching. Then in rounds 2 to 3 Cotto kept punching low and the referee took another point away from him. At the end of the round Cotto followed Fourtuna back to his corner giving him some verbal, so Fortuna took a swing at Cotto, missing his head but clipping his shoulder. Cotto turns around, walks to his corner and his trainers are blatantly telling him to go down, so he very badly play acts like he was hurt and flops to the floor. The referee then deducts a point from Fortuna for the incident. Fortuna knocked Cotto out in the following rounds but even then Cotto looked like he could have got up.

I expect Hopkins to use every trick he knows tonight. A lot of punching and grabbing to smother Kovalev from doing any retalitory offense.

• Paid Members

Kovalev made a statement last night/this morning. Fucking hell. I thought a decision win wouldn't go down to well but he was great. Such a patience and solid performance whilst still knowing he has the option of 3/4 round blitz in his armory. 

I'd love Stevenson VS Kovalev. Probably my #1 fight out there for me.

• Paid Members

Kovalev's an animal. Just one challenge too far for Hopkins in the end. Got to admire Hopkins taking a fight like that at his age though. But there's a limit to everything and Kovalev's at the top of his game right now.

I'm well on board for Kovalev vs Stevenson. Hope it happens.

Has anyone seen the Manny Pacquiao documentary, 'Manny'? It's on Amazon here;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00NWPA2IU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1415645865&sr=8-1π=SL75

Has it been televised anywhere or is it a straight to DVD thing?

Kovalev was superb, I had him winning every round. Hopkins to his credit in the last round went for it, took some brutal punishment like a man and lasted the final bell. Kov was very patient during the fight, he fought a slightly different way to usual, showed respect to his opponent and broke him down. Hopefully he can get Stevenson to man up and face him so that all four titles are unified. If not the next big thing is for Ward to move up to 175lbs and face his greatest challenge besides if GGG moves up to 168lbs beforehand.

• Paid Members

it was a fairly uneventful fight but given the situation it remained pretty tense throughout. Kovalev bossed it from start to finish though, It never really became clear of what Hopkins gameplan was, you just gotta think that once he got in there and realised that Kovalev was keeping his range and staying patient he basically gave up on any hope of actually thinking he could win.

• Paid Members

anyone catch Cleverly/Bellew: The Gloves Are Off?

didn't really give any new insights but rather just carry on the theme the promotion has been taking, fascinating half hour though. There's two distinct personalities going at each other and it's really making fans swing one way or the the other. Considering it's a fight people moaned about being on PPV i think the two are doing a great job of promoting the muthafucker.

* it's repeated tonight before Ringside if you missed it.

Edited by Ebb

Just two British bums trying there best to get maximum exposure. £16.95 for this, you got to be kidding me, Bellew's talk is cheap, "I'm prepared to die in the ring, one thing you know with me is I will never give up, I will give everything" What happened when Superman was beating that ass? At least go out on your shield like a man, I can't take either one of them seriously. Now Pac vs Algieri that happens on the same evening is a fight I'm looking forward too.

i wouldnt go as far to call them bums Gooner. They are definitely making the most of a bitter domestic rivalry, and good on em for doing so.

Bellew done similar nonsense with Stevenson and when it came to fight night he had nothing. He contradicts himself on a regular basis and what is so bitter about this fight? They had a close fight three years ago, Cleverly came out with the win. I just see a guy in Bellew who looks always angry but has never explained why he is. I get they need to sell the fight, do everything they can as it's the biggest payday either of them will ever get in their career, so have to milk it for all it's worth.