Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

yeh i watched it earlier on, its very good. The concept of the thing is similar to the documentary about Lupe Pinto meeting the father of Johnny Owen. It's a really good documentary, it breezes through his pro career with very little detail and focuses more on his early life and then the Kim incident, very sad story. I always find these kinds of incidents very sobering. Seeing them on TV is one thing but when you delve deeper and see the lifes these incidents effect it really hits home how dangerous boxing can be.

Yep, I enjoyed it

It was helped by the fact I did not know anything Ray beforehand, or the Kim incident. The fact he initially retired at 24 made me feel old

• Paid Members

there's a Korean movie about Duk Koo Kim called Champion, i've had it for a few years but ive never got around to watching it. After watching the documentary i'm gonna have to watch it.

1333347676.jpg

A couple of tipped prospects lost their undefeated record last night. Frankie Gavin lost a narrow split decision to Leonard Bundu in an entertaining scrap. Gavin hit the canvas from a body shot that sucked the air out of him. He spent too much time on the ropes and Bundu threw lots of punches that didn't all connect but looked effective. FW looked gutted especially after all his hype about Gavin being world champion material, shame he can't eat humble pie in his Sun column which has now been cancelled.

In the States, Thomas Williams Jr. got his biggest test yet facing off against Gabriel Campillo. Williams was in control for the first few rounds but looked out of ideas when Campillo kept coming forward. A bloody nose made Williams wary and when he got a cut above his eye, he lost the plot. Rounds 4 & 5 were basically Wiiliams walking around the ring trying to stay away from Campillo. At the end of the 5th round, Williams's corner got the Dr. to take another look at the eye cut which was under control but the Dr. stopped the fight. It seemed more like the corner told him to stop it rather than them pulling the fighter out because he was having a meltdown. If Williams Jr. had beaten Campillo he would have jumped to no.2 in the light-heavyweight rankings and been in line for a title shot.

Kovalev beat Caparello by stoppage after being put down in the first round to set up a fight a unification title fight with Hopkins for November 8th. All credit in the world to B-Hop to be willing to step up to fight a guy most don't want to go near. It's also good for the sport that he is going to fight Kovalev on the HBO network seeing as he is with Golden Boy who's fighter fight on Showtime.

I don't know what to make of that Rios/Chaves fight, it wasn't much more than a licensed bar room brawl. They were throwing each other down, thumbing each other, screaming motherfucker mid fight. The referee had no control and kept getting involved which made everything worse., A lot of punches were thrown at close quarters and not much skill involved. The referee had enough and DQ'ed Chaves for an eye rake in the 9th. Chaves was ahead on two of the judges scorecards. Reports are saying Rios suffered a scratched cornea at some point in the fight. They also did a brain scan but results were inconclusive.

I keep hearing a lot about Jessie Vargas being a great prospect but it seems all talk. They've given him a plastic world title to make him more important and now the judges are giving him ridiculosuly wide decision victories to make him look better. His opponent Novikov landed 30 more punches in their fight last night but the scores were 118-111, 118-111, 117-111 for Vargas. And he's feather fisted, hasn't KO'ed anyone in his last nine fights.

The next heavyweight champion of the real  Shannon Briggs continues to stalk Wladimir Klitschko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRspsGcV2Sg&feature=youtu.be

:laugh:

I wanna say it's staged but Wlad just doesn't seem like the guy who would waste his time, his reactions to Briggs though are priceless. I dunno anymore, one thing for sure, Briggs has lost the plot but I give the guy his due, he has somehow gotten himself into incredible shape. Need to start a petition for Briggs getting the next title shot, I mean he will take a beating but the press conferences and build up will be too funny.

• Paid Members

Frank looked very fragile going into both Thompson fights when with Price. Especially breaking down in a post interview on Boxnation. Probably felt he had weight of world on his shoulders. Seem to remember Fury mocking him for his wife leaving him around this time. 

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members

anyone catch the Showtime card on the weekend? bit of a showcase for some Showtime names.

The main event was a bit of a mis-match in Danny Garcia against Rod Salka, i guess this was put together to try and get Garcia back on track after the controversial win last time out.

Salka was dropped to a knee twice in round 2 and the ref was looking for a reason to step in, but Salka was probably to brave for his own good, then this happened:

Danny_Garcia_vs._Rod_Salka.gif

it was one of those frightening KO's where there was genuine concern at first but Salka was thankfully ok...brutal and unnecessary KO.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

big show this weekend!

10600358_10150434508444963_5363936940248

Sometimes we get Brits going over to America in World Title fight just to make up the numbers, this time we're sending over a legit contender. Kell Brook's been teetering on verge of being world class for a ages, there's been so many setbacks and problems along the way that it started to feel like he'd never get his chance, but it's happening!...and he's going in against one of the most ferocious and inform fighters in the game.

The beauty of this fight is that nobody really knows how good Kell Brook is, if he's as good as the hype suggests this could be the start of something special but he's struggled in a few fights against opposition not on the level of Porter, but Brook always suggested that he's a guy that would raise his game when he needed too. We'll see.

Bika-Dirrell is gonna be fun too.

oh, there's a couple of Kell Brook specials airing on Sky over the next couple of days too.

Edited by Ebb