Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

You've got to respect anyone who gets in the ring for a living, but Ortiz giving up with one second left in the round was a wimps move. I don't think he's got the bottle anymore. I don't mind Ortiz but I think Golden Boy dine out on that Andre Berto win (the only decent person he has ever beaten) way too much and give Ortiz opportunities he doesn't deserve. Like Ortiz had lost his last two fights and spent 18 months out of boxing. Then Golden Boy hand him an instant world title match for his comeback fight. IBF did the right thing and declined it though. He didn't really deserve the Mayweather fight either but like Robert Guerrero, if you can beat Andre Berto. You've got rising stock, but you're not on the level to beat Floyd.

Those Ghanian's are teak tough and Osumanu Adama has never been stopped in his career. I don't think Golovkin is at risk of losing but stopping this guy should be a formidable task. If he breezes straight through I will be impressed.

Anyone catch the Nkosinathi Joyi vs Rey Loreto fight? The referee was a disgrace, you can tell the difference between a dazed fighter who's attempting to get up and someone who is flat out and needs medical attention straight away. The doctor was in there before he'd finished counting.

Golovkin vs Adama is on next and wil be on earlier than the scheduled 8:45pm prediction, could be on as early as 7:45pm. Just thought I'd give those who might tune in later a bit of notice.

• Awards Moderator

Jesus Christ, what a fight Rees Vs. Buckland was. Scrap of the year candidate already; it'll take an absolute war for anyone else to top that. I had Rees by one round but to be honest, midway through the scrap I was confusing myself with who I had for each round. Gutted for Rees but even if it'd gone the other way, it was so close it was always going to be harsh on the loser. The fact that it was an eliminator for the British title shows just how much that belt means, regardless of what many people say. Think I'll have to watch that again tomorrow.

• Paid Members
I had Rees by one round but to be honest, midway through the scrap I was confusing myself with who I had for each round.

Same. That's the true mark of an absolutely belting fight, when you completely lose track of scoring and just get caught up in the moment. Fantastic fight. If there's a better one this year then I can't wait to see it.

• Paid Members

It's the Khan fight for me. He'll lose but I'd like to see Khan get that huge fight anyway. And I've always thought Khan's speed and vulnerability would make the fight more exciting than how Floyd's fights usually turn out. I think it'd be more along the lines of his Gatti and Corrales peformances than his systematic dominating showings against Canelo and Guerrero and guys like that. I'd have Floyd by stoppage within 8 or 9 lively rounds.

I said months ago he would wait for the superbowl before announcing the fight, guess this is close to that with a choice. Loads of rumours last night during superbowl that Mayweather had put about $13M dollars on Broncos to win, superbowl finishes and then bang he says he will let the fans decide his next fight. Trying to milk his next PPV for everything he can against two guys he beats easily.

If it's Khan be very surprised if it isn't Mayweather's first stoppage win since the Hatton fight all those years ago.

• Paid Members

yeh, echo the praise for Rees & Buckland, they did Wales proud, absolute war.

...and George Groves is now as asking for his fight with Carl Froch to be declared a no contest. Fuck me, has anyone cried this much after losing a fight? Groves is undoing all the hard work he did during the fight by crying so much.

Give it up son!

• Paid Members

well Enzo Macarinelli has gone and nabbed himself another World Title shot, he fights Jurgen Braehmer on April 5th in Germany.

Brähmer_fb.jpg

if Enzo Mac pulls that off, surely it'll go down as one of the great British comebacks?

...and George Groves is now as asking for his fight with Carl Froch to be declared a no contest. Fuck me, has anyone cried this much after losing a fight? Groves is undoing all the hard work he did during the fight by crying so much.

Give it up son!

Groves is on the wind up I think, and is probably seeking a reaction for Froch, which he will no doubt get.

• Paid Members

My favourite bit of Groves on the wind up was the DeGale stuff. I loved that. Probably because I hate James DeGale. He was well inside DeGale's big oblong head going into that fight.

Skip to 7:55 on this clip of them on Ringside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=dY476S2Ap_w

That expression he does of DeGale is spot on! "His stupid long-headed face. He's going to look like a horse falling at Cheltenham."

He definitely gets under Froch's skin as well. It's weird. Until the DeGale stuff I never had him down as the mind games type but he's good at it.

Groves learnt his trade well from Adam Booth, and more than just boxing skills.

Booth tailored Haye for years to say the right things to get a reaction. The only time it backfired was the Wladamir fight. Booth also advised Haye to take the right fights at the right time, and the move to Heavyweight was handled expertly. Groves seems like a bright man, he knows what he is doing.

I bet Froch's reaction will have the charm and wit of a 7 year old schoolyard bully. Which is exactly what Groves wants.

Edited by jimufctna24