Egg Shen

Boxing Thread

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

To compare the two myself, I’d have to say I preferred Naz. Just because I love the showman element of what he was about. Besides his obvious skills, his power was ridiculous for a man his size, it was his antics during his entrances and interviews and even during fights that got me as a fan for life. Even now, if Fat Naz is doing an interview with IFL or whoever, I’m clicking on it. But purely as a fighter, Khan is much more up my street. He’s almost incapable of having a boring fight and kind of has that thing like Nigel Benn did where him being susceptible to being tagged yet still being willing to trade with anyone, though clearly not always a good thing, makes him even more exciting to watch. 

I'm exactly the same!  The showmanship and self confidence, coupled with the unorthodox angles he threw from is why I often said McGregor the Hamed of MMA*.  It was so disappointing that the fire went out after he got beat.

(*Obviously one of McGs best features is learning from losses and still having the fire in the belly, but the comparison is twofold.  Firstly, the striking that I mentioned and secondly, the red flaggers that you mentioned absolutely despise having the guy they worship and try and dress like being compared to a brown skinned muslim)

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'm exactly the same!  The showmanship and self confidence, coupled with the unorthodox angles he threw from is why I often said McGregor the Hamed of MMA*.  It was so disappointing that the fire went out after he got beat.

Yeah, I think there was some of that and also his hands were in bits from stuff I’ve read and watched over the years. 

There was a great interview he did with Gary Newbon years ago where he talked about that, as well as the rest of his career. I can’t find it on YouTube but if you’re on Sky you can find it on the On Demand thing there. ‘Sporting Heroes: Naseem Hamed’, it’s called on there. 

It does seem a bit like he’s making excuses. I think Barrera, as good as he was at the time, would’ve given Naz problems no matter what. But I do think a combination of Naz’s hands breaking down and his overconfidence and complacency probably played their part as well. 

Just noticed that the full Sky Box Office version of Hamed vs Barrera is on YouTube. Naz’s entrance is around 40-odd minutes in. 

Not the biggest fan myself, Keith, but he doesn’t get much of a word in with Naz anyway in this case. 

44 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I do think it’ll be a shame if Khan vs Brook never happens though. And it feels like it’s going to be the case. 

I think we'll get it after the Crawford fight. The way Khan's been talking it's as though he believes the Brook fight will be there for him when he's exhausted all options at world level. 

I actually think it was close to being done until Bob Arum picked up the phone with the Crawford offer, which has turned his head.

The one thing here i don't agree with is the feeling here that Brook is some kind of domestic level Welterweight and that Khan's way above his level. That's twaddle really, Khan may have more name recognition in the States and that's why he's nabbed the Crawford bout but Khan hasn't held a version of the World Title in six years, Brook was a World Champion until May of 2017. Also gotta remember, Brook won the belt from Shawn Porter in America! Arguably a better win that anything on Khan's record.

The general feeling in boxing is Brook could be damaged goods but loses to GGG and Errol Spence are what they are, losses to the elite of the elite, one of which was way out of his weight class. Brook could prove doubters wrong and be a World Champion again before Khan. 

Edited by Egg Shen

Liam Smith has signed a 3 fight deal with Matchroom. Thatl be him fighting Kell Brook at 154 by the end of the year. That fight interests me more than the Khan fight tbh.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:25 PM, Egg Shen said:

The one thing here i don't agree with is the feeling here that Brook is some kind of domestic level Welterweight and that Khan's way above his level.

Brook isn't a domestic-level fighter quite yet, but the fight is a domestic level fight really, isn't it? I doubt we'd see many tuning in from outside the UK to see it.

Khan may have more name recognition in the States and that's why he's nabbed the Crawford bout but Khan hasn't held a version of the World Title in six years, Brook was a World Champion until May of 2017. Also gotta remember, Brook won the belt from Shawn Porter in America! Arguably a better win that anything on Khan's record.

Makes you wonder why Brook isn't getting the calls that Khan is then, doesn't it? The Brook vs Khan fight will be a decent little scrap, but when it does happen it kind of signifies that both of them are on the downward slide a bit, doesn't it? It's the kind of fight you see when all of the bigger options are exhausted.

Brook could prove doubters wrong and be a World Champion again before Khan. 

He probably could, as I don't think it'll be long before Amir calls it a day. I get the feeling that once he figures his opportunities at world level are done he'll take the Brook fight then retire.

But a domestic level fight is surely looked at as a fight between two guys who couldn't find beyond british title level at that point in time. Its a world class level fight that would take place in the UK...well it would be if it happened now, because the general perception both could be significantly different depending on how the year pans out.

away from that but still talking Wembley, Eddie Hearn hinted on a recent IFL interview that if Brook/Khan or an AJ fight didnt materialise for April 13th, they had 1 more option for Wembley, what the hell could that be?

oh, and Joe Rogan had Kelly Pavlik on his show, should be a good listen/watch:

Edited by Egg Shen

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

away from that but still talking Wembley, Eddie Hearn hinted on a recent IFL interview that if Brook/Khan or an AJ fight didnt materialise for April 13th, they had 1 more option for Wembley, what the hell could that be?

Canelo vs Callum Smith?

But I presume that AJ vs Whyte will go ahead as planned. 

I watched bits of the Pavlik interview. It's been a while since Pavlik has crossed my mind. So a lot of the information that he revealed was fresh, even though I probably read about it at the time. I thought he was older than 36 as well. 

yeh thats the likeliest fight, Hearn said they need to go on sale within a couple of weeks so time is running out.

I'm guessing that any last ditch attempts to make the Wilder/AJ fight hasn't worked then? Makes me think we'll see Fury get that rematch he wanted.

Yeah, if it’s fallen through again then it’s got to be Fury vs Wilder 2 surely.

Sad thing is it’ll probably be in America again. With Wilder’s dad as the referee and his nan, grandad and wife as the judges. Unless Fury can stop him, he’s probably not winning even if he dominates every round as they’ll no doubt already have the scorecards written up the night before. I get that they probably make more money doing it in America but I’m really hoping they can somehow get it over here.