Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The WBA have announed a heavyweight tournament to determine the real no. 1 heavyweight (from the WBA's standpoint). They currently have 3 Champs (Super, Regular etc). So have set up a tournament to unify them. It's bollocks if you wanna break it down but the brackets are solid and should make for good viewing.

Klitschko/Fury
Ortiz/Ustinov

Chagaev/Browne
Oquendo (gets a by to the semi's somehow)

It'll probably fall apart.

12540693_1132347273444023_49950834938581

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

I may not be the most knowledgeable when it comes to boxing, but I can't see how a tournament for the top heavyweights in the world will ever work in this day and age, especially with just one of the associations behind it. Surely there's no way this is going to go the distance!

I watched the "Mr Calzaghe" documentary yesterday. It really made me appreciate how great Joe was. That's no mean feat, as beforehand I had always considered him to be slightly overrated.

It wasn't entirely a fluff piece.The documentary freely admitted that Calzaghe's career waned in the late 90's and early 00's. One of the talking heads from America noted that Joe's first few title defences neutered his reputation with the American public. They chose to talk about Joe's hand injuries to explain his lacklustre performances during this period. I felt they could have mentioned that Steve Collins pulled out of their respective clash in 1999, which left Joe without a major domestic opponent. 

It doesn't re-write history either. The notion that Joe faced weak opponents early on in his career is addressed. The Jeff Lacy hyperbole in 2005/2006 is also captured perfectly. As are other key events that occurred later in Joe's career. On a personal note, Joe comes across as a decent bloke. and his Dad is quite the character. Even GAD is reasonable in it.

Highly recommended. 

• Paid Members

GAD's never reasonable. This pro-GAD stuff is going to get you hurt, son. Wise up.

Nah it's a really good documentary. And I wouldn't consider myself a big Calzaghe fan. I thought it was pretty fair as well. And it was interesting because I didn't know that much about Calzaghe really outside of his boxing career. Like I say, he wasn't one of my favourite boxers so I didn't follow him like I did a Benn, Gatti, Barrera and guys like that. He did come across really well, and his old man. I always thought both seemed kind of dickish at times during Joe's career but watching the doc I thought both were fairly likeable.

Eubank and Kessler are both great as well in their input during the doc. And Tyson during the credits saying that he liked Calzaghe but that he was disappointed Calzaghe never fought 'Flock' before he retired.

A lad who I used to live near (Darren Traynor) fought Ryan Walsh for the British featherweight title last night. He was KO'd but considering when I vaguely knew him 5-8 years ago he was a big drinker and stoner, I found it quite surprising. He had fought just one fighter with a winning record up until that point, which frustrates me because Scotland could have a decent scene going at the lighter weights if our guys actually fought one another. Their talent would come on leaps and bounds if they got true competitive match ups before being thrown in for a title.

Mr Calzaghe was pretty good, considering his career wasnt really the most eventful. A Shame that his true career defining wins (Hopkins, Lacy) came after sitting on his WBO title for so long, and Lacy turned out to be garbage (although it could be a combination of Joe ruining him and injuries)

Amir Khan's delusions are bordering on the mentally unstable. He's offered a 60/40 split purse in his favour for the Kell Brook fight but he turns it down. Then goes on a rant about Brook only fighting bums and how he too scared to fight him. Eddie Hearn goes to Khan's lawyers to try and get the fight on. They say Khan wants £10m guaranteed and Brook gets £2m for the fight to happen. Hearn laughed it off & went to Al Haymon to try & progress the deal.

Manny Pacquiao has come out & said the reason the Khan fight broke down was because of middle men negotiating deals. Khan denied this & said there were only his dad, uncle & lawyer doing the negotiating. Khan then said the real reason is because he use to get the better of Manny in sparring and now he's bigger & stronger at welterweight it would be a dangerous fight for Manny. So big & strong he hasn't stopped anyone in 4 and a half years.

Danny Garcia vs. Robert Guerrero tonight on Boxnation for the vacant WBC welterweight title. Both of them haven't been very convincing in their last fights, its a difficult fight to call.

I read online that Khan and Mayweather had a verbal exchange at the Garcia fight lastnight. Mayweather apparently turned around to Khan and asked him "is this the guy that beat you?"

Khan then started asking him why he wouldnt fight him.

Khan is a top clown. Thinks he is an elite fighter of the Mayweather, Pac, Cotto, Canelo mould when he hasnt really fought anyone half decent since Garcia 4 yrs ago, where he got clobbered. Good to watch though.

• Paid Members

Garcia/Guerrero itself was a decent scrap with a great last round. Mayweather himself weirdly said he believed Guerrero was winning when he was interviewed after round 10, i had Garcia up by 4-5 rounds at that point (as did the judges).

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Haye's announced he'll be back in the ring in May, tickets on sale tomorrow with no opponent set. Any ideas?

Anthony Joshua's next opponent gets announced in the next week too, that'll be in April. Hearn hoping to get DeGale and Selby on the same card so that's likely headed for PPV.

Theres such a gap between say the top 5 heavyweights and everyone else. A good opponent for Haye would be Helenius, but he's recently dodged Chisora and give up a crack at the Euro title take a route to one of the belts. He needs to fight a decent ranked fighter and not some chump like Malik Scott. I'm assuming the Haye fight will be on Cup Final day as well judging by the date.