Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Haskins is 5/1 to win. I didnt realise that fight was on the Cotto show.

Ive got an acca down. Cotto, Murray, Crolla, Nurse.

I was gonna take Canelo but hearing Freddy Roach speak this week has me thinking that Cotto may pull it off.

• Paid Members

Good article by Steve Bunce on Cotto, the Plaster of Paris thing with Margarito and the Canelo fight;

Miguel Cotto still going strong despite the night when Plaster of Paris left him in pieces.

Nobody noticed the yellow stains on the shrouded knuckles of the bandages that Antonio Margarito flexed, making a fist before he put on the gloves and ruined Miguel Cotto at the MGM in Las Vegas.

Nobody had an answer when Margarito’s filthy fists sliced, cut and bruised the bloated face of Cotto and led to an uncomfortable stoppage in round 11. Cotto lost for the first time in 33 fights and he left the ring that summer’s night in 2008 a broken man.

Thankfully, somebody did care when, six months later, a grinning Margarito was about to slide his bandaged hands into another pair of gloves for another fight against another victim. On that night a man called Nazim Richardson did notice the yellow stains and demanded a much closer look. Margarito stopped grinning, his smile replaced by a look of hate as the local commissioners cut off his tainted wraps.

The bandages were removed, sent for examination at a laboratory and the yellow substance was plaster of Paris: Margarito had planned to use his fists of concrete against a boxer called Shane Mosley that night. In the aftermath a photo emerged, taken of the bandages he wore against Cotto, and there was the same tell-tale, disgusting yellow staining. He was a cheat capable of dealing death and his licence to fight in America was revoked.

Incidentally, the night that Richardson foiled the vile antics of Margarito and his trainer, Javier Capetillo, a new, clean set of bandages were applied and Margarito – without his illegal, lethal fists – took a shocking beating from Mosley.

Both Margarito and Capetillo served a one-year ban in the United States, but there were constant threats of fights in Mexico. “Antonio has to make a living and he has the right to fight any place that will licence him,” said Bob Arum. “I am his promoter, and I will do the best that I can for him.” Arum also promoted Cotto.

Margarito, you see, had become big business in boxing the night he beat Cotto and he argued that he had done it without the use of plaster of Paris in the ring at the MGM. It was Capetillo who was blamed and sacked, and Margarito was back a year later. Cotto, meanwhile, returned looking a little less confident and continued winning until the inevitable happened and Arum made the rematch.

The morality-free zone, which often circles the boxing business, was the glorious backdrop the night at New York’s Madison Square Garden in 2011 when Cotto went in search of revenge against Margarito. The Mexican’s gradual transformation from sinner back to contender had been helped when he was dizzily punched for 12 rounds in a massacre by Manny Pacquiao. He had looked like a washed-up bruiser with his sad eyes and battered face.

The rematch had been scheduled for the summer of 2009, but Richardson’s sleuthing and Mosley’s power had delayed the fight for two years. When the two met on that emotional night at the Garden, a venue adored by Cotto’s Puerto Rican fans, there was savage revenge and it was the turn of Margarito to stagger, dazed, blinded and shamed, all over the ring; the referee and the Mexican’s corner all seemed to be in on the redemption ride and hardly lifted a finger to save Margarito from the fists of Cotto. It was not pretty, but it was sweet, sweet justice boxing-style.

Margarito has not fought since that awful night in 2011 but is now considering a comeback. Cotto fights on, a more careful boxer than the youthful brawler, and this Saturday, back in Las Vegas, his remarkable career continues when he defends his WBC middleweight title against Saul Alvarez, the ginger-haired Mexican who turned professional at the age of 15. Cotto is the last of his generation’s great fighters to still be relevant.

He has not missed one single quality fighter during his 15 years as a boxer at any of the weights where he has won his titles. Now 35, he has been favourite, underdog, forgotten, bruised, knocked down and quite brilliant in a long decade of world title fights. The Margarito fights are simply pit stops during his old-fashion pursuit of glory inside the ropes.

Over 20 of Cotto’s fights have been exceptional and this Saturday’s meeting with Alvarez can be added to the list before a punch has been thrown; Alvarez has lost just once in 47 fights, he is 10 years younger and he is slowly becoming the Cotto of his own generation.

Alvarez, by the way, had fought 21 times as a baby professional before his 18th birthday and even the great Cotto, who was a teenage Olympian, could not quite manage that. Their fight is a rare and genuine clash of boxing epochs and should be celebrated.

Here's all of the build-up for the Canelo/Cotto fight.

24/7 Episode 1 Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGIBR4gijvU

24/7 Episode 1 Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCnhHXNUH8U

24/7 Episode 2 Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5JYewSbWM4

24/7 Episode 2 Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twJWuqdPOE8

Face Off with Cotto/Canelo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIT2Gd7DqvI

My heart says Cotto's going to win but my head is unsure. Canelo is strong and can cause damage but Cotto's left hook is dangerous and he has the experience. Canelo has had 45 fight but 35 of those are against weak or old opponents. It should be an exciting fight.

• Paid Members

That's a good point on Canelo's opposition. He's undeniably an excellent and skilled fighter but he hasn't fought the constant barrage of top fighters and killers like Cotto has for years. Cotto's mixed with the best for what seems like forever. That's experience you can't learn in the gym.

I hope Cotto wins. My gut has said Alvarez ever since the fight was signed but the more I'm watching and reading the more difficult I'm finding it to call.

Thanks for the videos, Rossman. I'll have to work my way through them before the fight.

• Paid Members

tough break for Haskins, i bet he's gutted. Ive gone with Cotto tonight, if he loses im blaming Freddie Roach.

edit* just read that the IBF have made Haskins World Champion by default. Not the way anyone wants to win the belt but the right move. Haskins even offered to fight Cabellero at a catchweight but he refused.

Edited by Ebb

It's such a tough fight to call between  Cotto and Canelo, I have been back and forward with who will win since it was first announced, but I just got this feeling Cotto is going to get it done tonight. I can't wait.

tough break for Haskins, i bet he's gutted. Ive gone with Cotto tonight, if he loses im blaming Freddie Roach.

edit* just read that the IBF have made Haskins World Champion by default. Not the way anyone wants to win the belt but the right move. Haskins even offered to fight Cabellero at a catchweight but he refused.

Cabellero camp offered the catch weight, Haskins team refused as if he lost he would not be giving the belt and the fact he would be at an even bigger dis advantage then he was going in.

I know a few people on here have asked about reliable boxing DVD sellers before. I just wanted to quickly recommend this guy...

http://www.boxerbeat123.co.uk

I picked up some stuff on there and can't fault the quality. The delivery time was quick and the prices are decent as well. The thing that I like is he's got a bunch of complete shows on there. Not just fights. He's got the full show versions of some of the big Naseem shows, Tyson vs Holyfield, some Lennox Lewis shows. Plus documentaries like the Tapia, Ray Mancini, Benn-McClellan ones etc. A bunch of stuff.

I know we're in the days where you can find this stuff to watch online most of the time but if you're a twat like me who still likes to have a physical copy of stuff then you could do worse than this site.

Just a word of warning, possibly be careful with this guy. Not saying he's a fraudster as Wand obviously got his discs but I put an order in 3 weeks ago and I've yet to receive it. Messaged the guy twice, no reply. Opened a Paypal dispute, no reply. So I'll have to see what happens, tread carefully though.

Shame as he had some really cool sets and I was looking to rinse the site after Xmas

• Paid Members

It's such a tough fight to call between Cotto and Canelo, I have been back and forward with who will win since it was first announced, but I just got this feeling Cotto is going to get it done tonight. I can't wait.

Cabellero camp offered the catch weight, Haskins team refused as if he lost he would not be giving the belt and the fact he would be at an even bigger dis advantage then he was going in.

Ahh yeah, i read it wrong. Guess Haskins is gonna take his belt and money and go sit front row for Cotto/Canelo, sweet deal.

• Paid Members

Just a word of warning, possibly be careful with this guy. Not saying he's a fraudster as Wand obviously got his discs but I put an order in 3 weeks ago and I've yet to receive it. Messaged the guy twice, no reply. Opened a Paypal dispute, no reply. So I'll have to see what happens, tread carefully though.

Shame as he had some really cool sets and I was looking to rinse the site after Xmas

Fuck, sorry to hear that mate. Yeah, I got my stuff quickly with no issues. Hopefully he'll be in touch and there's a good explanation for fucking you about. Sounds well dodgy if he's not even responding to your messages though. I feel bad now for recommending him.

Not entirely sure of spoiler rules but I swear it's on a if it's live in the UK basis.

Anthony Crolla with a great stoppage to the fight. Love that he ignored Eddie Hearn who was wanting to celebrate with him. Eddies such a twat.

Joke scores in the Canelo/Cotto fight. I thought it was fairly close because there wasn't much in each rounds, but Alvarez had the slight nod as the winner.

2oKAbQ9.jpg

The most a judge gave Cotto was 3 rounds. Conspiracist in me thinks this was the WBC making sure the night ended with a new belt-holder instead of a vacant title.

The co-main was more entertaining than Canelo/Cotto. Stayed up for it and was pretty bored in all honesty. Tuned into bits and pieces of the rest of the udnercard. HBO's commentary kept banging on about how mismatched the card was, how no boxing main event has lived upto the hype in years. All very weird to me, maybe it's just because I rarely watch there coverage but over here you never really get commentators slating their own previous PPV's.