Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Golovkin vs Murray was one of the best one-way traffic fights you'll see. Golovkin pretty much always looked in control, dropped Murray a bunch of times, hurt him often, just generally looked like his usual awesome self. But Murray fought his balls off and was firing back enough to keep it alive.

GGG is an animal. The combination of technique, accuracy, aggression, power and his range of shots just makes him a stupidly hard puzzle to solve and such an exciting fighter to watch.

GGG's performance was even more impressive when you consider how well Murray did against Martinez and Sturm. They came nowhere near to stopping Murray.

If Al Bernstein is correct in saying that Murray is number 2 in the weightclass, then bloody hell, GGG is peerless. 

I had A.A beating Smith by 7 rounds to 4, with 1 round even. I have been a bit kinder to Smith than most. It was a clear win from A.A though, no question this time.

If Al Bernstein is correct in saying that Murray is number 2 in the weightclass, then bloody hell, GGG is peerless. 

I think whoever Bernstein was quoting with that comment was trying to hype the fight or was only talking about the WBC rankings. You've still got Cotto, Jacobs, Quillin, Pirog, N’Dam, Sturm & Lee who are better than Murray.

• Paid Members

Another great night of boxing...

GGG was beastly last night, just an offensive machine. Murray had his fair share of offence but it just did nothing, it almost felt as if GGG was allowing Murray to tee off before stepping back in his face and unloading. The pressure he put on Murray was just frightening, he constantly in your face and it isn't like he's just swinging he's throwing combinations with mean intent. Murray was game but he got brutalised.

GGG for me seems to be the rare case of a top guy who everyone seems to like too. Usually when a guy finds success, he'll split a fanbase into lovers and haters but i find it impossible to dislike Golovkin.

Smith/Abraham was a cracking fight too, it was tit for tat but Abraham was always doing the more eye catching work and everytime he burst into action he'd push Smith back up against the ropes and bust him up. I scored the same as one just 116-112 for Abraham, but there was no suggestion that it was any closer than that. In fairness though Smith gave it a good go.

Tough night for the Brits.

There was a 50 man brawl at Dennis Hobsons show last night. After one fight, the two trainers got in the ring and started scrapping, then the rest of the entourages jumped in. There doesn't look like any security present except a man shouting over the house mic to settle down and its about the boxers.

• Paid Members

GGG for me seems to be the rare case of a top guy who everyone seems to like too. Usually when a guy finds success, he'll split a fanbase into lovers and haters but i find it impossible to dislike Golovkin.

Yeah, there's something really likeable about Golovkin despite him not showing a great deal of personality. He's got that quiet likability like a Shogun or JDS for me where if you dislike them there's probably something wrong with you. The fact that he's pretty much always smiling plus the contrast of him looking like your paperboy but being able to destroy pretty much any man put in front of him...there's literally nothing to dislike about GGG.

• Paid Members

Mayweather is never fighting GGG. Mayweather isn't going to fight anyone who he thinks might beat him. That's why he has waited 5 years to fight Pacquiao.

As for GGG, who does he fight next. I don't see any of the current middleweights pushing him harder than Murray did. Would a fight with Andre Ward at Super Middle be a possibility. GGG does not look that big at Middle, would he be able to carry his power up to Super? I hope so because it might make an Andre Ward fight interesting to watch for once.

GGG yet again just brutalizes his opponent. The constant pressure he put on Murray, every punch thrown with a plan, he just stays in your face and like he usually does he lets these guys hit him and comes back even harder. When it looked like Murray on occasions could back Golovkin up, get his attention with a few combos and then he just gets stalked down, pressed up against the ropes and is teed off on again. He is frightening and at same time so exciting to watch. I think it's got to the point now where Golovkin will have to move up to 168lbs to get the bigger fights that he craves.

Crazy thing is it be easier for him to drop down to 154lbs, then go up to one 168lbs considering his height and size, but unless Canelo is willing to fight the best option is to go up. He wants Cotto next but I can't see it happening. Cotto is a fantastic fighter and no question about his heart but he has become a very smart businessman in the past couple of years, my hope is that the pride and ego in him and his trainer, Freddie Roach is enough to make it happen and the fact what looked like Cotto's other two options for May, Canelo and Maweather both fighting against different opponents, guess wait and see what happens. I look at 154, 160 and 168lbs and I still feel the same as I have done over past two years, the only guy I can see who has a real chance at beating GGG is Andre Ward.

Looks like GGG will be fighting again on May 9th, hopefully a top ten ranked guy and after that he needs to be in a huge fight against a Canelo, Cotto, Froch or Ward. If any of these guys are finally ready to step up and take on the baddest man on the planet.

• Paid Members

Golovkin vs Cotto would be fantastic. But I'd be completely split on that. I don't want to root against GGG but Cotto's one of my favourites. And in all likelihood GGG puts a beating on him. That would be really bittersweet for me as a fan of both.

But it's a fight that should happen, no doubt.

Canelo fights Kirkland on May 9th, so if GGG fights the same night, both on HBO, both come through with wins and that might be the fight next for both. I think Canelo has the balls to fight GGG, Cotto has a voluntary defence he can make of the WBC title, before facing the mandatory challenger who is Golovkin. Things have been quiet on the Cotto front since Canelo had enough after agreeing to everything for Cotto to accept and broke away and decided to fight Kirkland instead. There have been rumours about Bradley moving up to fight Cotto, but time will tell.