Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

So there was a failed drug test in the Peterson (Failed once in his last fight) against Kendall Holt.

The world and his mother accused Peterson today and it ended up being Kendall Holt.

Boxing must be riddled.

• Paid Members

Mayweather/Guerrero isn't in jeopardy despite the firearm incident, good news.

Also Manuel Charr is lobbying for the David Haye fight, i like Charr seems like one of the few guys who will literally fight anyone.

I've been working my way through the original HBO Legendary Nights series on Youtube. There's some interesting stories to be told through the different fights. One of my favourties was Pryor vs. Arguello and Panama Lewis with the mysterious black bottle.

This led me on to a HBO documentary from 5 years ago called Assault In The Ring. Its tells the tale of a 1983 fight between journeyman Luis Resto and undefeated prospect Billy Collins. Panama Lewis was Resto's trainer at the time and it follows the lengths they went to, to get the win, then the aftermath and tragedy that followed.

EDIT - Looks like the vid got taken down -

Edited by Rossman

• Paid Members

Fuck me, Rios vs Alvarado 2 delivered big time. Fantastic fight again. I get the feeling they could throw these two in once a year and it might be FOTY every year. How Alvarado survived the early rounds, I don't know. To come back and win after that is amazing.

This one's just finished and already I can't wait for the rubber match. Rios once again showed himself to be a twat post-fight. Love watching him fight but he's such an unlikeable prick.

EDIT - and yeah, Assault In The Ring is excellent. Anyone who hasn't seen it, it's on Stagevu;

http://stagevu.com/video/azsiysbddbnq

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

So fucking happy for Alvarado. His profile as raised so high and deservedly so.

Rios is one tough bastard but his basic plan of walking and throwing them concrete hands was only get him so far.

Alvarado wants his next fight in Denver so can't see it being a huge name but i'l be fully behind him. Thought he was winning the first fight till it got stopped and thought he shown a lot of character last night.

Rios is always going to be a threat but i think he needs to develop if he wants to be around the elite. His power means he will always be exciting.

Wasn't a massive fan of the Sky broadcast. Bellew probably won but i wasn't too fussed about it being call a draw. Thought Crolla beat Derry too.

Edited by Fox Piss

Crolla mattews was magnificent. Thought crolla nicked it but cannot argue with the result. A third match surely beckons. Was disapointed eith the bellew match, i dont think bellew has the engine to go at it solid fof 12 rounds and he could have lost the match if he had have got a point deducted as he should have after the first round. I genuinally think cleverly is the best in the world at that weight. He would outwork anyone in that division.

Havent seen the boxnation stuff yet but sounds great.

• Paid Members

Rios/Alvarado was quality, i think for 6-7 rounds it was headed to being a stone-cold FOTY but when Alvarado decided to shift around use his movement a little more the intensity dropped off. If they fought again im pretty sure it would go the same way too. Great fight though.

I actually had Bellew losing against Chilemba. The reaction of the commentary baffled me a little, i thought that outside of perhaps the first 4 rounds (which were close), Chilemba won every round except for the final round. Bellew was made to look completely ordinary. Chilemba's a hard man to pin down but Bellew barely laid a glove on him all night.

I've looked through some press and many are saying Chilemba was robbed.

I love to hate Tony Bellew, he's a guy that uses intimidation to frighten his opponents...it simply didn't work Saturday night and Bellew just came off looking like a bit of a nob. But i always like a fighter who has a genuine air of nastiness about them.

Edited by Ebb