DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I watched Three And Out. It wasn't a chore to watch, it flew by quite quickly and some of the scenes where quite enaging. The stuff with the french chef was utter tosh, it was poor as a one note joke but bringing it up 3 or 4 times tore the arse out of it. Colm Meaney was excellent as Tommy Cassidy. He shone through. Some of the scenes with him and Imelda Staunton were really quite charming.

The story was pretty weak but became a good back drop for Paul and Tommy to strike up some sort of friendship. I never really felt that they did though. There wasn't enough interaction between the two apart from at the party. It seemed kinda shoe horned in before the 'big day'. The ending was a disappointment.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Had it ended with Frances receiving the cheque and seeing the book, dedicated to her Dad, that would've been perfect. Everything after that was too Hollywood and ruined it.

Anyway, I quite liked it overall mostly due to the acting of Colm Meaney. Gemma Arterton with her bits out was very, very pleasant. Kerry Katona doing an awful scouse accent wasn't.

7/10 for me.

Edit: Meant to add that this film was absolutely nothing like the film the trailers painted it out to be.

Edited by tiger_rick

Any Argento fans out there?I watched Mother Of Tears last night... erm, I suppose its kinda what you'd expect off Dario n crew when they have a bit of a budget. I loved Suspiria (seriously, possibly my favourite movie ever), Inferno was good too, but this not so. It has its moments, typical Argento kills, but the acting kills it in parts. Asia Argento is god awful, plus there is a bloke outta Footballers Wives in it (quite a big role too). Complete lack of some of Argento's hallmarks (use of colour and music particularly) spoilt it for me too.If you like Argento flicks and have seen the other two mothers, watch this to round out the trilogy. If not, stay well clear.

Edited by lee_a

• Paid Members

Legally Blonde 2: Red, White and Blonde

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH. I don't know how I made it to the end of this, I'm both proud and thoroughly ashamed that I did.

So Reese is a proper lawyer now and she's about to get married to Luke Wilson (wow he picks some shitty roles). First off, their relationship is exceptionally creepy because, apart from when her personality totally changes when she's faced with adversity, she is basically a gigantic child. Seriously, if you married Elle Woods you'd essentially be a paedophile. It's not just the high-larious blonde ditziness either, she puts on an affected kiddy voice, dresses like a Barbie doll and is unfeasibly naive. Just horrible. Watching her do the "delta nu" secret handshake would seal the deal. She could well be six years old when she's doing this. He 's a Harvard Law professor, she's a retarded idealist who has somehow managed to become a lawyer and is now changing laws based on heartfelt speeches about her hair. I know I know, it's not a remotely serious movie, but when they try to deliver some serious messages at the end they leave themselves open for me to vomit wit rage at the absurdity of it.

Also, the supporting cast is so very loathesome. Jennifer Coolidge fucking sucks. I hate her a lot. Sure, we all loved Stifler's mum, but any other time I've seen her I've wanted to inflict pain on her gigantic face. The rest of Elle's posse are equally as annoying if not moreso, as are the band of jaded and cynical lawyers who she manages to win over in a truly heart-warming manner. I think the point where my brain started to eat itself would be the dance routine that breaks out in the lobby, complete with 350lb ginger guy crawling on the floor like a dog. I hope that role was worth it.

They also have a stereotypical hardline republican senator who is converted to the cause (Reese wants cosmetic animal testing made illegal because a maternity test on her dog traced his mother to an evil cosmetic testing facility) because it turns out his dog is gay. Yeah. Also, for all the right-on "open your mind" posturing, the portrayal of the gay dogs as leather-clad frolicking queens is hardly progressive.

I despised this movie. Of all the shitty half-asleep rom-coms I've watched (and there have been many) this is the worst. The humour fails, the characters are horrible, the plot is laughable in all the wrong ways and the messages are both clich

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

I rewatched A Clockwork Orange the other day for the first time since I was about 13. I think back then being an idiot I wrote it off as overrated, but watching it now there was so much stuff I picked up on that I didn't before. It's beautifully shot and has a near perfect pace for a film of that length, and some of the symbolism was extemly thought provoking.

Also finally got round to making the missus watch Goodfellas, which I definately still count as one of my favourite movies of all time. Some excellent perfomances, and the visual style was so lush and decedant.

I watched Heat for the first time at a mate house last week, and although this might make me unpopular I've gotta say I was disapointed. The characters and performance were great, but I felt like I'd seen the story done so many times before, and better. The shootout in the middle just felt way too long as well (dispite everybody else in the room raving about it afterwards, but I guess I'm just not a guy who's excited by flying bullets and loud sounds...).

Edited by CoreyVandal

• Moderators
:laugh: Awesome.Whilst I appreciate your efforts, as I'm sure we all do, and understand that all artists must struggle for their art, what are you doing to yourself?!I am starting to worry for your mental health... It can't be good to go to sleep on a diet of such rage.PS I watched Bring it On recently; I think you would enjoy it.

• Paid Members

It is getting to the stage where they're not just inoffensive romps with amazing eye candy (Hitch) or actual good movies with amazing eye candy (Mean Girls), but instead they're actively bad movies that probably do send me off to sleep in a terrible mood. If I dream about stabbing Reese Witherspoon with a n adorable pink knife, only to then move into her old apartment which she haunts until I fall in love with her, I will let you know. That might work. Eliza Dushku is in it right? That'd help. I saw a box set in Blockbuster t'other day that Bring it on 2 and Bring it on 3, but not the first one. Number 2 stars Hayden Panettiere as... a cheerleader. Heh. Maybe I need to get my hands on the trilogy and have the best week ever.It occurs to me that "week" there could be changed to "wank" for comedy purposes. Don't be playing me like that. Oh yeah, Miss Congeniality 1 and 2 are on the list also. I've seen them both already, but if Sandra Bullock doesn't leave me dozing off in a happy and contented state then nobody will. Bullock :love:.

I rewatched A Clockwork Orange the other day for the first time since I was about 13. I think back then being an idiot I wrote it off as overrated, but watching it now there was so much stuff I picked up on that I didn't before. It's beautifully shot and has a near perfect pace for a film of that length, and some of the symbolism was extemly thought provoking.

Nope you were right the first time! Never rated it seen it at the cinema when Kubrick died and therefore could be shown and caught it a few times on film four since..Yes Malcom Mcdowell is good in it, but a good film it does not make...Me mates Uncle is Malcolm Mcdowells dad in this as well.. Phillip.. summat? ive forgtooen his name... he was in The Shining and raise the titanic and stuff

• Paid Members

I watched The Bank Job last night. I have to say, I thought it was really good. It's probably the first film I've seen with Jason Statham in it and I was impressed, he was excellent. it's based on a true story so manages to keep that sense of realism. It's very good and it unfolds quite well. The scenes following the job aren't as dramatic or pulsating as say, the Bourne films, but they are well done and maintain the sense of drama right to the end, which I won't spoil. The choice of leading ladies was very, very good, Saffron Burrows and Keeley Hawes are both gorgeous. In fact, the casting all told was really good, the acting is very tight. So yeah, thumbs up from me, good story, good acting, decent dialogue and great eye candy.

• Paid Members

Miss Congeniality 2

Disclaimer: The following review is fair, impartial and not at all influenced by the fact that Sandra Bullock will one day be my wife.

This was quite honestly the very best movie I have ever seen in my entire life. I laughed, I cried and I thanked the various religions and their deities for blessing me with such a wonderous piece of cinema.

Where to begin?

Well first off, Sandra Bullock is without doubt the finest actress of her own or any generation, so you know that her performance can salvage any movie. Fortunately, she only agrees to star in certified classics, so they could have cast Jennifer Coolidge and her gargantuan face and still have had a hit. I'm glad they didn't though. Very glad indeed. God I love Sandra Bullock. I'm going to have to go and lie down for a while after this.

Anyway, what else...

Oh yeah! There's Regina King, breaking away from her usual role of spunky stereotypical African American sass-machine-who-you-do-not-want-to-piss-off-but-eventually-comes-around-because-she's-a-bad-ass-with-a-heart-of-gold, and instead masterfully playing a spunky stereotypical African-American sass-machinespunky stereotypical African American sass-machine-who-you-do-not-want-to-piss-off-but-eventually-comes-around-because-she's-a-bad-ass-with-a-heart-of-gold-who-works-for-the-FBI.

Such versatility.

In fact, how she can do this after playing a spunky stereotypical African American sass-machine-who-you-do-not-want-to-piss-off-but-eventually-comes-around-because-she's-a-bad-ass-with-a-heart-of-gold-who-works-as-a-legal-aide in Legally Blonde 2 and a spunky stereotypical African American sass-machine-who-you-do-not-want-to-piss-off-but-eventually-comes-around-because-she's-a-bad-ass-with-a-heart-of-gold-who-works-as-a-waitress in A Cinderella Story is beyond my feeble comprehension.

Few actresses avoid typecasting, but this spunky stereotypical African American sass-machine-who-you-do-not-want-to-piss-off-but-eventually-comes-around-because-she's-a-bad-ass-with-a-heart-of-gold has managed it.

Jennifer Coolidge, Reese Witherspoon and Luke Wilson are all pleasingly absent from this film. I was starting to believe that someone was editing them into everything I watch. William Shatner is in it unfortunately. He's pathetic to the point where it's not even funny when he's poking fun at himself. Awful, awful man. Awful.

At one point, Sandra Bullock sleeps on a couch in a t shirt and little shorts and full length football socks. It might be the best thing I've ever seen. Maybe. She was racist in Crash but then later she wasn't. So that was good. Also she gave lots of money to the Tsunami relief fund in 2004 and probably gave money to New Orleans, and they have at least one African American there. His name's Kanye I believe. To summarise: George Bush doesn't care about Sandra Bullock, and that's basically the main reason to hate him. Her birthday is July 26th. That's only a month and three days from mine. Fate? I THINK SO! She has a scar in the corner of her left eye which she received as a child when she fell into a lake and cut her head on a rock. That day was the saddest day in recorded human history. I wasn't born at the time but I cry about it now.

Here is her walk of fame star:

180px-Bullock.JPG

It is more beautiful than the other stars.

Her middle name is "Annette". Annette is my second-favourite name for a woman. I wonder if you can guess the first? It begins with "S". lol.

In conclusion, buy this movie and buy the first one and Speed and Speed 2 and 28 Days and Demolition Man and While you were Sleeping and Two Weeks Notice and go to IMDB and check her filmography and then buy them all and then email me your thanks when you have finished watching the best films of all time but then please don't kill yourself after realising your life has peaked.

Also I watched the first two seasons of Entourage. Good show, would recommend it, though 24 minute episodes feel so wrong for an HBO series - I need my TV shows to go the distance these days. His agent is hilarious. I wonder if Kevin Dillon feels slightly undignified playing the brother of a more successful actor who mainly does TV work, being as he is the brother of a more successful actor who mainly does TV work. Either way, Johnny Drama is a tremendous character as well.

Edited by JLM

Shatner may be shit in that, but he's absolutely brilliant in Boston Legal, so forgive him this one.In the spirit of JLM, I watched Clueless last night. I can't say whether it was any good or not, I was too busy knocking one out to Alicia Silverstone and Britanny Murphy. I feel I've failed you, JLM.

• Paid Members

I dunno, they do quite a number on Brittany Murphy in that. She's normally hotter than smelted fire drizzled in liquidised essence of the sun, but in Clueless she's borderline "meh". With you on the Silverstone though. It slightly troubles me that Paul Rudd and Donald Faison haven't aged since Clueless. Not even slightly. Creepy. Clueless is actually on the list, by the way.

• Moderators

Shatner may be shit in that, but he's absolutely brilliant in Boston Legal, so forgive him this one.In the spirit of JLM, I watched Clueless last night. I can't say whether it was any good or not, I was too busy knocking one out to Alicia Silverstone and Britanny Murphy. I feel I've failed you, JLM.

That's poor effort on your part.Stacey Dash is easily the hottest girl in that film. Edited by Who has called me Hage?

It slightly troubles me that Paul Rudd and Donald Faison haven't aged since Clueless. Not even slightly. Creepy. Clueless is actually on the list, by the way.

They've got saggier and pudgier, but the extra years has made them look better rather than worse.Shatner is the opposite seeing as he's slowly turning into a tomato, but he's still seven shades of awesome in Boston Legal. But thats understandable seeing as...star-trek-inspirational-poster.jpg