Lock Up Your Sons - Channel 4 tonight 10.40pm

Guest Asylum

I think that little kid was on the documentary leaning up against a fence with a big cut on his head.Was the guy who was playing with the figures the same guy who had the shed full of weapons like glass with thumbtack on it and light tubes?If he is and he uses that stuff on a 10 year old then he needs his fat nerdy ass kicked by a bunch of drugged up wrestling hating scallies...then he'll know what hardcore violence is!

Edited by Mykii

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cruiserfan

I enjoyed the documentary...NLW were alright except for the tacks. A lot of it just looked like fun between mates TBH... ;) XHW... Oh my God... How shite? :duh: PCWA... and in particular "Blade"... :confused: I didn't like too much. "My gimmick is falling from high places." I could understand Steve Farrell's Ric Flair imitation as a joke (and I thought Farrell pulled it off quite well actually, fun to watch :D ) but I think Blade the acne monster was being serious about stealing New Jack's gimmick... badly. How idiotic.Burch.... :/ hmmmm I'm torn on this one. I have spoken to him and he's an alright bloke but he came off a bit cocky with the legend references. For me Burch's segments were most interesting as it seemed to follow a story a bit more. And by the way, the american-sounding commentator puts on that accent on purpose as a way to mock JR and be funny for his mates.Selby has talent. He could go far. Some people might say "He's a cocky fool, legend my arse!" but to the UKBYW peeps he really is (a legend that is, not an arse). Trust me.Welshfest... the ginger guy, Birdy, talking about it being like Reading festival... Well I can see where he's coming from. It's a bigger than usual gathering of people getting together to partake in their hobby. But maybe he went a bit over the top.Phallus... well you'd have to know the history to get the name... :/ Burch's speech at the end was the most intelligent thing he's ever come out with.Here's a question for you; If, for example Selby and Burch got pro trained and could bump perfectly like any other pro etc. would it be as bad for them to keep backyarding as long as they had proper pro-style non-hardcore matches.... even if they were in backyards and fields? Personally I don't think so... It would be a form of practice.

• Paid Members

I thought it was a well researched and respectful documentary, well worth 70 minutes of my time.By focussing on the people behind BYW, rather than just pointing out the dangers, we got an insight into why these people do it and what it means to them.This could have been a typical "bash wrestling, infecting the young minds, stupid kids trying to kill themselves" type of lecturing programme which focussed on injuries and near-fatalities, but the makers put time into finding out just what it was all about, especially the performance aspect of it all.Though I don't believe backyarding is wrestling, it still is a performance, there to be enjoyed by both those taking part and those watching.And Jimmy Burch, who came across as such a prick when he posted here a few months ago, impressed me with his comments and attitude. He explained the whole culture well, and described what it means to be a backyarder in such a way that you can understand, even if you don't approve, what he does and why.

Guest matt naylor

Thanks for that hat guy it wasnt like all the other guys ''oooooooo little kids trying to kill each other'' TBH i didnt think it was all that bad

didnt anyone find it ironic most of the kids were too thick to speak properly, let alone wrestle safetly or intelligentlySecondly, theyre all disgraces to pro wrestling, u want to learn and you have a passion for it,you go to wrestling school . The show gave the impression every wrestling fan is a stupid as that lot, at some points it was actually embarassing to watch.

the only two members of that XHW fed.  (Which, by the way, featured the lamest bumps ever.)

Bumps in BYW should be lame. BYW should be "play wrestling", not consensual mutilation. The light tube, barbed wire, stop sign malarky shouldn't occupy the same sentence as the word wrestling.
That reminds me of something written in Mick Foley's second book. He does something like the 10 commandments of Backyard Wrestling, and says something like.7. If you throw punches, make sure they are the lamest, fakest, punches ever seen on the planet.8. If you have to come off a high building, then make sure your buddy isn't laying 15 feet below you to break your fall.9. Always use fake blood.10. Never use lightbulbs, glass, or anything that can draw blood.Didn't Foley himself use fake blood in his home movie The Loved One?He also puts a lot of blame on the parents, for not making sure they know what their children are doing. Its the "as-long-as-there-not-smoking-or-drinking-or-doing-drugs syndrome"

He also puts a lot of blame on the parents, for not making sure they know what their children are doing. Its the "as-long-as-there-not-smoking-or-drinking-or-doing-drugs syndrome"

Iam pretty sure if i were a parent that id rather know my child is smking and drinking alchol than cutting themselves open withblades glass and tacks.

Can 5 or 6 people mention my name so I can be called a legend?  Please, it'd make my dreams come true.

JohnnyBoy. :thumbsup: Is that enough people now?Back on topic.I had the TV on but didn't pay any real attention until they went to Dropkixx.It was awful, not impressed one bit.It doesn't deserve my time, It was just sad. :/

I thought it was a well researched and respectful documentary, well worth 70 minutes of my time.By focussing on the people behind BYW, rather than just pointing out the dangers, we got an insight into why these people do it and what it means to them.This could have been a typical "bash wrestling, infecting the young minds, stupid kids trying to kill themselves" type of lecturing programme which focussed on injuries and near-fatalities, but the makers put time into finding out just what it was all about, especially the performance aspect of it all.Though I don't believe backyarding is wrestling, it still is a performance, there to be enjoyed by both those taking part and those watching.And Jimmy Burch, who came across as such a prick when he posted here a few months ago, impressed me with his comments and attitude. He explained the whole culture well, and described what it means to be a backyarder in such a way that you can understand, even if you don't approve, what he does and why.

<BYBurch> Ur Gay </BYBurch> :pBut yeah, the documentary wasn't bad, although I would have liked to have seen a little more on the backyarders who went to train, did they carry on training?

IMO they massivley under played the injuries and danger element of it !!I mean how much quicker could they have skimmed over the fact that someone died doing it in CanadaAlso chokeslam in the nettles - so sad it made me cringeBlade's mum mentioning what a charmer he is - with that face he'd NEED to be able to talk the talk !!!I thought the whole documentary glorified it and did nothing to dissuade impressionable younger wrestling fans from trying itLastly Burchell - a legend - well if legend is spelt c u n t, he was a total legend !!

• Paid Members

Lastly Burchell - a legend - well if legend is spelt c u n t, he was a total legend !!

lol :D i thought it was pretty hilarious. the fed that only had two people and one is a girl!and they did all their wrestling on their estate and no one gave a shit. im glad i dont live there. but i thought the welsh fest was a great idea its a shame they didnt advertise it better for a bigger crowd.it was worth watching though. after that show theres gonna be a big increase in backyard wrestling. :):(;)

didnt anyone find it ironic most of the kids were too thick to speak properly, let alone wrestle safetly or intelligentlySecondly, theyre all disgraces to pro wrestling, u want to learn and you have a passion for it,you go to wrestling school . The show gave the impression every wrestling fan is a stupid as that lot, at some points it was actually embarassing to watch.

i totally agree.

Guest Jazzmeister

The whole thing made me cringe. Firstly because of all the shit they were doing. But moreover it made me cringe because of;-The cheesiness of the events-The belief in their characters-The 20 year olds still doing it-and the two kids from XHW who had no lives; they lived around wrestling...it was terrible!Very interesting to watch at least, but made me realise how stupid backyarding is. Chuck them all in a wrestling school and let them do it properly.

It was an interesting program but I think it glorified backyard wrestling too much. Just that these guys were calling themselves 'legends' but no one was really saying no you're just a bunch of twats who can't wrestle for shit. I think backyard wrestling will probably increase due to this program which is a damn shame because I'm sure C4 didn't intend for it to come across the way it did. I was suprised how the parents were putting up with it :confused: I know I wouldn't. Also another thing I couldn't believe.....those Portsmouth twats, WTF!!!! They live in Portsmouth, home of the best wrestling school in the UK and they can't be arsed to get on a bus and travel about 5 mins down the road and get trained properly. Twas a good program but it came across the wrong way which is a shame. :/

This is why i'm glad I don't (can't actually) follow the the US Independant wrestling scene.

That's one of the most hideously uninformed comments I've ever heard on here.Go and tell that to guys like Homicide, CM Punk and American Dragon, or better yet, go and pick up some tapes and get rid of thatignorant opinion you have there.
Ok, lemme rephrase what I said earlier.I respect every wretler out there trying to make an honest buck. Although I have never seen CM Punk or American Dragon, I have heard positive things about them. This must mean that they are WRESTLERS! Even though I have not seen any myself, I have heard that most of the US Indy scene is just random carnage and has actually no wrestling. I am glad that I have not seen any of the "hardcore" US Indy scene.
Well you heard wrong about the US indy scene Feds like ROH, TNA hell even CZW do more wrestling than Ultraviolent now are great feds with great wrestlers. Go buy any TNA or ROH vid and see any X Divison match or Low vs Daniels or Daniels VS Williams or Mark Briscoe vs Jay Briscoe or a CM PUNK or American Dragon match and come back and tell me the US indy scene is just Random Carnage. :angry: