Lock Up Your Sons - Channel 4 tonight 10.40pm

Guest Asylum

Guest Mojoholic

This is why i'm glad I don't (can't actually) follow the the US Independant wrestling scene.

That's one of the most hideously uninformed comments I've ever heard on here.Go and tell that to guys like Homicide, CM Punk and American Dragon, or better yet, go and pick up some tapes and get rid of thatignorant opinion you have there.
Ok, lemme rephrase what I said earlier.I respect every wretler out there trying to make an honest buck. Although I have never seen CM Punk or American Dragon, I have heard positive things about them. This must mean that they are WRESTLERS! Even though I have not seen any myself, I have heard that most of the US Indy scene is just random carnage and has actually no wrestling. I am glad that I have not seen any of the "hardcore" US Indy scene.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the adverts in between the show were placed perfectly. After the segment talking about blading ended, an advert for Mach 3 came on. After the segment showing the two kids going into a DIY warehouse and buying tables, tubes etc. an advert for Homebase came on. :laugh:

This is why i'm glad I don't (can't actually) follow the the US Independant wrestling scene.

That's one of the most hideously uninformed comments I've ever heard on here.Go and tell that to guys like Homicide, CM Punk and American Dragon, or better yet, go and pick up some tapes and get rid of thatignorant opinion you have there.
Ok, lemme rephrase what I said earlier.I respect every wretler out there trying to make an honest buck. Although I have never seen CM Punk or American Dragon, I have heard positive things about them. This must mean that they are WRESTLERS! Even though I have not seen any myself, I have heard that most of the US Indy scene is just random carnage and has actually no wrestling. I am glad that I have not seen any of the "hardcore" US Indy scene.
Then you should be pleased to hear you are totally wrong and there is fantastic wrestling out there, with the hardcore stuff becoming more and more phased out day by day.

That's another bad thing about this documentary, people are going to come away with the impression that all non WWE wrestling is all hardcore garbage wrestling which isn't the case at all.They used footage from ROH in the introduction and from what I have seen 99.9 % of ROH matches aren't anything like the kind of stuff these kids are copying, but thats the inmpression that people will get from watching this documentary.They will see any wrestling show in a small arena and filmed on a lower budget (i.e. not WWE) and immediatly assume that light tubes and barbed wire will be used in every match.This doesn't bode well for the wrestling channel as a lot of their schedule will consist of US indies.

Sweet Jesus on a G-String where the fuck do I start? Does anyone else on here feel bad as a wrestling fan? I aint gonna be able to look my non-wrestling fan friends in the face without feeling like I'm sad!Was it me or was every fucker on that show a socially handicapped spastic? I'm glad it showed how stooooopid these idiots look to the nation! (With the exception of the fact that they're all more talented than Kevin Nash!) However, I'm quite worried about the fact that it showed teenagers generally having a great time doing this shit! If there is a new surge of backyarders (and I truly hope there isn't!) then the blame surely must rest on the shoulders of tonights programme.And why the fuck do these idiots think it is cool to hit each other with signs and shit but not actually know any wrestling? Most can't tell a wristlock from a wristwatch. Or an armbar from a crowbar. One word sums these idiots up. WANKERS! Freaky Jason's "Guts and Gory" documentary was much better by the way! Theiving Channel 4 motherfuckers! I'll shoot them all!Man I'm just pissed off! :angry:

Personally I enjoyed watchin all those idiots gettin the crap beaten out of em.I will say one thing, I dont care what you all say, it didnt put British Wrestling in a bad light, why? Because it wasnt about british wrestling it was about backyard wrestling! Theres a world of difference, and the show made that pretty damn clear. If anything, the show made british wrestling look better for parents of potential wrestlers. The show got it over that its a passion and if done correctly at a proper school it's a lot more safe and that they shouldnt let their kids do stupid BY stuff, but send them to proper training schools. Not at any point did the show claim that hardcore backyard wrestling is how all wrestling is in britain, in fact every time they mentioned hardcore, the narrator made sure to say that a lot of backyard feds wrestle technical styles too.I do hope they do a follow up on actual proper wrestling training because it will add to what they said already, but in my opinion that show did not put british wrestling in a bad light at all and it has as good a chance of a return to tv as it ever has.

I found it interesting the post where someone said they would like to de-promote backyard wrestling. This just isn't going to happen. You might as well tell all the smart marks on the internet to not be so critical about pro wrestling than to try and tell these stupid twats just how damn stupid they are. I tried it a couple of years ago with a couple of columns (shill: these are still on my website) after I was approached by a Norfolk backyard group about commentating on some of their videos. Although I got a great deal of support, I also got a ton of shit from the backyarders.You guys might as well go and talk to a brick wall rather than try to talk these twats out of backyarding.

I searched on Google, and found this place: A Backyard ForumOn there is a member called Burch. The "Legend" was that guy Burch right? So much for him quitting, I searched his posts (recent ones) and it sounds like he's still doing Backyarding. Unless thats not actually him, could just be a fan. Thats not the actual board featured on the show I don't think, but its the same type of thing.But I'm wondering, it showed those guys going to Dropkixx and going almost straight into a match without learning anything. A bit of holds, but no bumping, no practice. Unless they do it a little different there, isn't that a little misleading to the Backyarders who see it and think how exciting it must be to go straight into a ring, when really there would be a lot more focus on saftey and learning the basics? I guess that doesn't really mater though.

• Moderators

I found it interesting the post where someone said they would like to de-promote backyard wrestling. This just isn't going to happen. You might as well tell all the smart marks on the internet to not be so critical about pro wrestling than to try and tell these stupid twats just how damn stupid they are. I tried it a couple of years ago with a couple of columns (shill: these are still on my website) after I was approached by a Norfolk backyard group about commentating on some of their videos. Although I got a great deal of support, I also got a ton of shit from the backyarders.You guys might as well go and talk to a brick wall rather than try to talk these twats out of backyarding.

They tend to get talked out of it themselves, by puberty*Actually the feeling I got from the end of the program was that the amount of legitimate wrestling schools in the country is leading to the demise of the backyarding scene, leaving the likes of the XHW kid lonely figures.*excluding those fuckwits that were linked here a while ago, who were in their 30s, although I didn't actually see any evidence of pubic hair, I'll assume it was there..

To be fair that was for the backyarders to "show what they could do" which was bump really badly, as was pointed out by the instructor.

Oh, I had the volume on real quiet so I didn't hear everything said. Thanks. :)

• Paid Members

I will say one thing, I dont care what you all say, it didnt put British Wrestling in a bad light, why? Because it wasnt about british wrestling it was about backyard wrestling!

But it DID emphasise thae fact that it was the UK BYW scene, rather than the BYW culture as a whole. Dropkixx (a "legitimate" UK promotion) has already had some flack in this thread for - what was essentially - encouraging some BYWers to mix it up in the ring. A lot of people - especially those looking for an excuse to criticise - are going to view this programme with blinkered eyes. "Oh look, even the so-called schools are happy for them to slam each other about without training". Knockers of wrestling are gonna knock it whatever. This has just given them some ammo.Johnnyboy, you're a legend dude!

But I'm wondering, it showed those guys going to Dropkixx and going almost straight into a match without learning anything. A bit of holds, but no bumping, no practice. Unless they do it a little different there, isn't that a little misleading to the Backyarders who see it and think how exciting it must be to go straight into a ring, when really there would be a lot more focus on saftey and learning the basics?
To be fair that was for the backyarders to "show what they could do" which was bump really badly, as was pointed out by the instructor.
But my point is that these backyarders should NOT get the priveledge of being in a ring infront of people - and especially one of the most influential men in Britih wrestling (alex Shane). There are plenty of people at dropkixx who deserve the time to wrestle in a ring a lot more than those two - and i should know as i have trained many of them myself.The instructors should have been more responsible and not allowed these backyarders into a ring - there is plenty of matted area on which they should have shown whether or not they can bump - the most important part of any wrestling training.I do not disagree that the instructors on the show pointed out that they couldnt bump - but they let them in their ring. I feel that was very responsible.

I thought the adverts in between the show were placed perfectly. After the segment talking about blading ended, an advert for Mach 3 came on.

Look out for Das Kriegar trying to get juice with a Mach 3."We've used broken shards of glass, scissors, pencil sharpener blades, and now we've got a real razor." Edited by bobbins