Lock Up Your Sons - Channel 4 tonight 10.40pm

Guest Asylum

as usual, its going to tar all wrestling fans with the same brush. Im willing to predict one of the broadsheet newspapers will be up in arms over this show in the next few days. And no wonder...the way it was presented and the people they used completly undermined any legitimate use for the show. THE KEYWORD IS WRESTLING, i really didnt see much of that in the documentary, i thought they could have spent longer at the wrestling school or at least examining the alternatives to it. I just felt it came across wrong.Anyway Ill probably upset some people but i Can see no reason why backyard wrestling can be defended or excused in any manner. I hear all these prats say " I love wrestling, blah blah", well then have enough respect for it and the wrestlers involved to do it properly in a controlled environment by trained professionals

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put one of those kids in the ring in a legit shoot-fight against someone like Doug Williams or Flash Barker. Then they'll see just how tough they are....not!

I watched this programme and I have to say that given some of the guys looked quite athletic why don't they look for proper wrestling training.Strangely the thing that bothered me the most wasn't them hurling each other around (fuck it, if they want to risk injury let them) it was the faux Joey Styles commentary on every-one. My ears were about to bleed as kid after kid went "oh my god, he just got but through (insert item" - really annoying.I would have no problem with it going on if it didn't drag the name of professional wrestling down, but as it does ban it and jail the performers under public nuisance orders.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't agree that the programme "tarred all wrestling fans with the same brush". In fact, I was impressed with the programme-maker's efforts to clearly distinguish between backyarding and wrestling. Indeed, it suggested that the hardcore aspect only played a small part of wrestling. The backyarders were portrayed as a lonely minority.The scene where the fans of "genuine" wrestling bashed the backyarders and everything they stood for was no doubt designed to show the wrestling industry's/wrestling fans' thoughts on backyarding, and the showcasing of professional wrestling schools made, in my mind at least, the distinction clear and decisive.What also interested me was that the blurb/programme synopsis sent to TV guides and newspapers protrayed backyarding as more of a "fight club" style group rather than wrestling...I personally think that backyarding and wrestling are two completely different performance artforms, intended to be enjoyed by different audiences and seperate in their intentions and following.

The Person i feel sorry for is the mothers of these kids...I mean seriously even with persil Grass stains are by far the worse to get out. :D:D:D though in there defence i admire there passion for what they do.Steevi

Guest rage against the wwe

Well, I taped it to watch when I have more time.... I did watch the first 20 mins or so & I have to say Those Backyarders fuckin suck... go & get some training from General Trent Steel, The Iceman or Middleman Lee Butler (WZW) or Alex Shane, Doug Williams, Flash Barker, Robbie Brookside (FWA) cos they are the pro's when it come's to real wrestling :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Backyard Wrestling is where the wannabe's are..... & Pro Wrestling is wrestling in an actual ring with fully trained wrestlers :D Tell me what would you rather be a pro... or a wannabe? ( To the folk who are claiming to be backyard wrestlers in this forum)Personally if I wanted to be a wrestler I would like to be trained by the pro's :):thumbsup: & I have to say I would rather watch WWE at the moment than BYW anyday :pBACKYARD WRESTLING SUCKS!!!!! Oh, Its true, Its damn true!

& I have to say I would rather watch WWE at the moment than BYW anyday :p

Ill Go one worse tha WWE mate..."I WOULD RATHER WATCH G.L.O.W[The Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling] THAN BACKYARD WRTESTLING RIGHT NOW!"

Guest Terry Nutkins

I'd better get my licks in as well.The amount of time you can spend trying to convince someone that wrestling can be a truly great thing may as well be flushed down the toilet when they see things like that. Children trying to emulate their "heroes" and becoming "legends" in their own right. They aren't legends. Bruce Forsyth is a legend. No-one ever lamped him with a light tube over the back.If anything, I'd imagine these children are the epitome of "wrestling" fans. There is absolutely no wrestling involved. In some of the "matches", there were simply people getting hit with stop signs. That isn't wrestling, that's getting hit with a stop sign. I've never been a fan of hardcore wrestling, but this takes the step too far even further. I suppose a good example for Backyarders to use is King of the Ring '98, where Mick Foley was flung off the cell. But there are differences. Mick Foley was flung off of a cell in front of a paying crowd of 15,000+, with a wage packet of hundreds of thousands of dollars, with the best medical teams on hand to help him, on live television all around the world in relatively controlled conditions. They jump off of a tree, in front of eight people, earning

Guest Squat rocker

Without being too moralistic.If people want to 'wrestle' in front of their mates for 'fun' then fair enough. Even tape it for future 'enjoyment'. But don't try and make it something that it isn't.The organisation of the Welsh Fest that they were so proud of. What? Getting 20 people together in a field! Give me two minutes, a few phone calls and any fool can do that.Personally, it was the best advert for contraception I've ever seen. And 'Blade' was definitely the best advert for spot cream. A 'stud' his sister called him!

Whole thing made me embarrassed to be a wrestling fan, though what they did I don't consider wrestling. If they want to call themselves wrestlers then for gawdsakes don't start giving away your secrets within seconds, and if you get injured FINISH THE DAMN MATCH!!! Most disturbing thing of all for me was that one lad was still doing it when he was 19. GROW THE FUCK UP. Absolute disgrace...

Put one of those kids in the ring in a legit shoot-fight against someone like Doug Williams or Flash Barker. Then they'll see just how tough they are....not!

Yes please.... YES PLEASE!!!I would pay to put the event on PLEASE.....To me they came across as a bunch of very sad people who were havinga bit of fun but someone said "that's great" and they believed it.One sad thing was seeing the Pyramid centre in the background whereI saw my first FWA show and thinking, "I can get you to the bucklandscentre in 2 minutes from there where Mark Sloan could teach you how to do it properly...."I thought Tony Scarlo came across very well and seemed very sensible,most of the noise from the dropkixx trainee's sounded like "Oh shit" ratherthan "Wow that was an impressive bump" and I'm pretty sure the cameracrew had a word with some of them to make it sound better.Don't even get me started on XHW - Xtreme Hardcore Wankfest.... "Oh look dried blood on a pizza cutter" NO YOU ASSHOLE IT'S PIZZA SAUCE....

well wouldnt most people lose? I would like to say people called me a legand for the fact what I do for the BYW community, they have meet me before and they are going from what they know of me. Hell I know I aint a legand but some one calling me it is cool and it shows what I mean to them. As you can see me and selby took up pro training and do still go, but half of you people going on how much you hate BYW and un safe it is when alot of pro wrestlers started from BYW but yet you still go on about how good they are. you all have your opinions to it which is fair enough, but saying we know shit is bollox, we do BYW because we meet new people and we get out and about, and its somthing we enjoy! thank youJames Burch

well wouldnt most people lose? I would like to say people called me a legand for the fact what I do for the BYW community, they have meet me before and they are going from what they know of me. Hell I know I aint a legand but some one calling me it is cool and it shows what I mean to them. As you can see me and selby took up pro training and do still go, but half of you people going on how much you hate BYW and un safe it is when alot of pro wrestlers started from BYW but yet you still go on about how good they are. you all have your opinions to it which is fair enough, but saying we know shit is bollox, we do BYW because we meet new people and we get out and about, and its somthing we enjoy! thank youJames Burch
And when everyone sees you in a wZw, FWA, All Star or otherwise ringand you've kept up your training we'll give you your props too!!!Good luck on the training.I still don't like the whole idea of Backyarding as it is now, a laugh withsome mates is one thing, coming up with new ways to hurt those friendswhile not having a clue about the safety aspect is not good or clever.