Lock Up Your Sons - Channel 4 tonight 10.40pm

Guest Asylum

Guest AndyPandy

What A load of shit backyard wrestling is for Fat,Sad Bullied kids.Funny when that four eyed geek said there were 8 people in his fed and really it was only him and that girl  :omg: That guy from portsmouth for Heavens sake please use clearasil  :crazy: His Sister wernt bad though  :love: This documentry was gonna make wrestling look bad either way.

Come on Jamie, that ginger mink was a bit young for ya :p Also, notice how the bloke doing the voice-over said that she had learnt the art of crowd working. What, by saying "Fuck You" to about 5 kids as she walked out.Crowd working? More like "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing". Worse thing I've seen on Channel 4 since the cutting of Backlash 2000. Edited by AndyPandy

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest OutcastVideo

It was a cracking documentary, and showed BYW for what it was. It did no harm to the British wrestling industry, unlike past programs ie: Faking It.

I really hope that is some shitty arse sarcasm.I didn't really see anything in the documentary that showed that BYW is nothing like Pro-Wrestling. For me all it is going to do is encourage more kids to do it and get negative press for real wrestling. I can hardly imagine what a non-wrestling fan would be thinking watching that.So what research did he do Draz? Looked up a few forums, watched a few videos off kids hitting each other with light tubes? As far as i could see he researched nothing to do with pro-wrestling and never attempted to differentiate BYW to Pro Wrestling.Like Jim Cornette says, i aint got a problem with people hitting each other with light tubes or slicing each other up....just dont call it pro-wrestling. And to me BYW was just portrayed as a lower form of wrestling.EDIT: Oh yeah and dont get me started on the whole fucking up kayfabe aspect of the documentary. Edited by OutcastVideo

Guest rage against the wwe

yeh most of byw is not about hitting each other with light tubes

Funny, The documentary showed BYW as being "Ultra-Violent"... " Hardcore" & above all else from what I've seen thumbtacks, light tubes & a baseball bat with barb wire on it.... so how can you say BYW doesnt use light tubes???I smell bull crap :angry: WTF would Backyard wrestler's know about: Wrestling/ Ring Psychology, putting on good technical match's, & above all else charisma in promo's......???????As far as I go backyarder's know jack-all about anything about being a pro wrestler :thumbsup: & from what I've seen BYW is all about spots :bored: B spot Y spot W :sleeping:

• Moderators

Every single reference to what the kids were doing was called "back yarding" or some variation thereof, I don't recall them ever being referred to as wrestlers (unless they were talking about themselves), I think it was made perfectly clear that what they were doing was poorly imitating things they'd seen on TV. The participants came out looking like absolute idiots, a huge theme of the documentary was that it was a childish thing to do, something that they grew out of, and scenes such as the fat kid being chokeslammed into thistles served only to highlight how babyish they were being, pale, childish imitations of real wrestlers. I totally didn't make any connection between what these groups of deeply misguided were doing and what goes on in shows across the country, in fact I think it was made pretty clear that the legit scene looks down on backyarding. The one part I'd question was the scene with the two kids headropping like it was going out of fashion in the ring at Dropkixx.The wrestling aspect is maybe being overthought, in all the previews, the participants were being compared to Fight Club, the theme, for me anyway, was unhappy people looking for acceptence, albeit in a strange form.When it comes down to it, there's no way in hell this has done any damage to the British scene, in fact I doubt anyone besides people like us who obsess about anything remotely related to wrestling will even remember anything about it this time next week, it's not like it went out prime time on Saturday night.And it was a good documentary, as it's obviously evoked a lot of emotions, and I for one found it enjoyable watching.As far as research, maybe the guy did only make requests on forums and download a few videos, but what was he supposed to do, sit through hour upon hour of NOAH tapes? He was making a documentary about the way kids with low self esteem group together in this way, not some Dave Meltzer style analysis comparing them to ROH or whatever indy fed some of you probably hoped would get a little airtime.

Edited by Drazic, The #1 Sickboy

When it comes down to it, there's no way in hell this has done any damage to the British scene, in fact I doubt anyone besides people like us who obsess about anything remotely related to wrestling will even remember anything about it this time next week, it's not like it went out prime time on Saturday night.

Absolutely, a factory full of people where I work love ripping the piss out of me whenever they see anything to do with wrestling - but what with this going out at almost 11pm on a Thursday night, nobody I know watched it.

Guest OutcastVideo

think it was made perfectly clear that what they were doing was poorly imitating things they'd seen on TV

There you go then. And to say BYW can't be related to Pro-Wreslting from a non-wrestlings fans point of view is laughable because it was actually someone who never watches wrestling who texted me and told me to check it out. Hence, first thought 'oh look, wrestling on CH4'.As far as research, like i said in the earlier post, all he had to do was read a copy of Foleys: Foley is Good and maybe pick up a copy of the show NBC (maybe) did on backyard wrestling. I'm not saying he has to watch tapes, god know Louis Theroux didn't have a clue, but he should have got some feedback from wrestling fans not just backyarders.Foley had excellent knowledge of BYW and Pro-Wrestling and put it across well in his book, using people who have knowledge of neither to make a documentary is just wrong.

When it comes down to it, there's no way in hell this has done any damage to the British scene, in fact I doubt anyone besides people like us who obsess about anything remotely related to wrestling will even remember anything about it this time next week, it's not like it went out prime time on Saturday night.

I'm thinking more like, one accident/death closely prevailing this documentary and the media would be all over it more so than if not attention was brought to it. Edited by OutcastVideo

• Moderators

think it was made perfectly clear that what they were doing was poorly imitating things they'd seen on TV

As far as research, like i said in the earlier post, all he had to do was read a copy of Foleys: Foley is Good and maybe pick up a copy of the show NBC (maybe) did on backyard wrestling. I'm not saying he has to watch tapes, god know Louis Theroux didn't have a clue, but he should have got some feedback from wrestling fans not just backyarders.
But he was doing a documentary on *backyarding*, and the kids who seek acceptance by grouping together in this way, not about how it's connected to CZW or ROH or whatever. The two may be intrinsically linked in our eyes (because they are linked, obviously) but this particular show was more about the kid's need to feel part of something, not about wrestling. It dealt more with the sociological aspects, than anything to do with professional wrestling. I feel like I'm going round in circles here.

There you go then. And to say BYW can't be related to Pro-Wreslting from a non-wrestlings fans point of view is laughable because it was actually someone who never watches wrestling who texted me and told me to check it out. Hence, first thought 'oh look, wrestling on CH4'.

How somebody showing a bunch of idiots taking it upon themselves to copy something they saw on TV damages the industry is beyond me, particularly when the industry in question actively discourages it. It's in the same vein as Daily Mail style rants about banning video games because they encourage shootings, or the way every late 80s murderer used to be linked with a "video nasty" they'd seen once. Of course there's a connection, but that doesn't lay blame at the door of wrestling any more than it did at Marvel when I used used to run around my house with an oranges bag on my head and fall off of the sofa as a small child.The bottom line is: the kids are doing it of their own volition, and the legitimate wrestling industry frowns upon it. Both these points were clear, so I fail to see how any damage was done.

;) I recorded the programme for two reasons, one i,d only seen clips of Backyard Wrestling from America and wanted to see the Brit version and also because i wanted to see how the kids came across . What i found was that if you took the things away like the light tubes, the barbwire and other things, the actual wrestling moves they were attempting (and remember this was with no previous wrestling training at a school) was not bad.Not all kids have schools near them to go and also by being involved in BYW in the first place would make them stand out and disliked by trainees who had just ever trained at schools. If you look at tapes of Trainees and then see some of these kids with out the tables , bats etc they are just as good as it ,infact im sure given a few months of training these kids could be really good.BYW i think first came together here mainly because kids saw the way it was done in the U.S and having nowhere else to go and not confident to go to schools they set up their own little groups. I dont think they should be made out as idiots because of this because quite clearly they are not. I think that the extreme way they do perform is very stupid and shouldnt be allowed, but if i was running a school or training young wrestlers i would not let any of these kids go by without giving them a chance. Three of them impressed me last night im sorry if your on here and reading this but your names escape me but you know who you are when i describe, the one that got a bit of a shock from the exploding light and cut his arm, he as got great potential with training, another i know this name Burch with a few lessons a future star and last the one that really had it for me the one who had is mum and sister interviewed. Now that kid said something that made him a real future wrestling star, if you look at him again you can see he as that thing that is needed and if i was a promotion i,d be after training him right now.You might have a go at these kids and take the piss out of them, but everyone starts somewhere and they have had the front to do this so im sure they have what it takes to be in ring wrestlers. Also alot of trainees who are in wrestling schools and camps at the moment deserve better then they get. Ok they have there own shows , but what a boost for them if one night they are asked to fill in a slot on a main show.I was at a show earlier this year and sat in front of about 20 trainees one of which was so upset he had not been chosen for a match. It would be a good thing for every main show to have a trainees match on the card be it good or bad and then that would give these back yarders the confidence to join a group or club that teaches wrestling the right way. Some of thse kids were very good and would be fantastic trained the right way and then they wouldnt have to go through these dangerous stunts they try.So dont look down on them , just give them a bit of credit because they have what it takes and beats some of the matches i,ve seen from the oap yankeess we have to indure :devil:

Guest OutcastVideo

Opinons~I didn't like it. BYW has the word 'wrestling' in it, and the show embarresed me as a wrestling fan.

It dealt more with the sociological aspects, than anything to do with professional wrestling

Yeah, mong boys hitting each other with weapons.

I feel like I'm going round in circles here.

:rolleyes: I'm not trying to say that the show would destroy wrestling in the UK because we've already been down this road in the US (as usual UK is a fair few years behind). Follow this, blanking out the impression that the show left on you (socialogical issues an all):This show will encourage more BYW > BYW (when taken seriously) is a slap in the face to pro-wrestlers who are legitimatley trained > the more mainstream it gets (see BYW computer game) the more embarrasing it is to pro wrestling fans and the way wrestling is perceived in general.I'll admit i wasn't concentrating on the freaks grouping and feeling wanted only when mutalating each other issue, but comparing this guys (does he have a name) documentary skills to someone like Nick Broomfield is like comparing Sainsburys to Netto.

But he was doing a documentary on *backyarding*,

Drazic, come into the real world man! Until this was shown 99.9% of people wouldn't have known what backyarding was. The only word they would understand is WRESTLING.I find myself defending, for want of a better word, 'proper' wrestling all the time. It is regarded as laughable by the vast majority of people. Adding 'Backyard' to it is irrelevent. Backyard wrestling will be regarded as no different to any other form. Their behaviour adds to the negativity we all encounter. Those wankers embarrass and offend me and perhaps a visit from the police for intentionally causing ABH would make some of them think again (hint, hint).To my knowledge there are no documentaries of someone intentionally going out and murdering after watching a video. They have obviously watched the 'Do not try this at home' warnings and still invite a camera crew into watch them. Dipshits.They have embarrassed wrestling as a whole and should be treated with the utmost contempt. Any one of them could travel a short distance and be trained properly. They don't because they haven't got the balls or commitment. Their 5 bored fans make them feel really 'special'.

• Moderators

I never said this was Oscar worthy, just that it was good television. As far as Broomfield goes, he's a worthless, self serving cunt. :D As for the program encouraging more kids to do the same, probably true, but the kind of people with the mentality to partake in such childishness would be easily influenced by anything, and there's not a lot you can do to stop it. I doubt a poorly advertised documentary late at night on Channel 4 was seen by many who'd fit into this category anyway, they'd be too busy standing on corners and weeing into gardens.I think BYBurch and the other hardcore superstars should make a promise to us that they'll post on the UKFF in two or three years time, and not be hideously embarrassed about their behaviour. I've a feeling that the backyarders featured in this will eventually look back on it as their own personal Star Wars Kid video, a pack of bleeding, squealing Gylseins.

• Moderators

Drazic, come into the real world man! Until this was shown 99.9% of people wouldn't have known what backyarding was. The only word they would understand is WRESTLING.
But it was shown, and explained things adequately so that anyone watching would understand the difference between wrestling and what those kids do.

Drazic, come into the real world man! Until this was shown 99.9% of people wouldn't have known what backyarding was. The only word they would understand is WRESTLING.
But it was shown, and explained things adequately so that anyone watching would understand the difference between wrestling and what those kids do.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to be offensive. You are right, viewers should have been able to take away the difference between the two. Unfortunately, I don't believe they will.To the majority wrestling is wrestling is wrestling. At best some might get the difference. Sadly, at worst, most will regard them as a product of wrestling itself. They wrestle therefore they are wrestlers. Therefore, wrestling is to blame.In my eyes they deserve no praise and unless they save their pocket money/weekend job money (not a piss take - I'm serious) and get to a school they deserve every insult thrown at them

Guest Elisar Cabrera

I think Drazic's eyes are pretty much what most people will think. Everyonewho is a fan of wrestling is so conditioned into beleive backyarding iswrestling's dirty little cousin that its hard to see backyarding objectively.Most people watching that will know immediately that BYW is not pro-wrestling.It can't harm industry that actively speaks against it and has wrestlers doingtalks at schools warning kids of the dangers of attempting BYW.As a documentary the programme was entertaining and informative. Itpresented BYW as exactly what it is. For those of us who have zero experienceof BYW now we have seen for ourselves exactly what these kids get up andhow dangerous what they do really is. It makes it more important to us toencourage kids who have tried BYW or are thinking of it to go and finda school to train in. Hey, if not wrestling school then find a martial arts gym - justsomething that will channel all that energy.To those who felt there was no moralising by the producers, I will answer thatas a person involved in filmmaking for the last 15 years. Its not the job of the documentary filmmaker to moralise, only to inform - you make your ownmind from the information presented.The kids themselves seem to be lonely types looking for a group of mates theycan fit into.... Whatever happened to the youth clubs? Perhaps if local councilsdidn't close them then there would be less reason for BYW groups to start upin certain areas. My point being that there are other reasons other than beinga fan of wrestling why BYW groups start up. We would all like BYing to finish.The only way we can help stop BYW is to look at the reasons why kids mayget into it a little more objectively. The hostility towards the kids will onlyactively encourage them. Don't forget teenagers are just that - teenagers, withthe temperaments and emotional ups and downs teenagers are known for.What may seem logical to you as an adult isn't so rational to a teenager.