Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted 10 hours ago Paid Members Posted 10 hours ago 8 hours ago, Arch Stanton said: That Premier League statement is so strong and yet I'm still not at all convinced that they will end up with a punishment. I will believe it when I see it, but I can totally see an outcome whereby underhanded political pressures influence an appeal process. Abu Dhabi have used their power and influence in this way in the past. My natural default is to think like you and that they'll get away with or it'll be a slap on the wrist etc. Then I read the report. There's just no way they are not hit by a very large punishment. If they weren't, then all the other teams affected by what they did won't stand for it at all and let it pass. It's all far bigger than I think anybody realistically expected and we haven't even started on individual and club claims yet, potential criminal investigations, and the probability that UEFA are going to sanction them too. A couple of years transfer ban and a suspended fine isn't going to happen here. What I'm looking forward to is watching what self-denial front City are going to put up when everyone returns from the international break and surrounding the Liverpool game. Their fans' behaviour is definitely going to be hilariously pathetic. I can't wait. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted 9 hours ago Paid Members Posted 9 hours ago 9 hours ago, Arch Stanton said: That Premier League statement is so strong and yet I'm still not at all convinced that they will end up with a punishment. I will believe it when I see it, but I can totally see an outcome whereby underhanded political pressures influence an appeal process. Abu Dhabi have used their power and influence in this way in the past. I could see the Premier League coming to some sort of agreement with City in which, to get this resolved quickly, they accept a hefty fine and points deduction that guarantees relegation this season but ultimately allows them to do so without accepting guilt, allowing City to suggest it as being in the 'interest of other clubs and the integrity of the league' or something like that. They'd bounce back almost immediately and carry on as they were. A good cup run or Champion's League win would see them in Europe alongside the Championship, so it wouldn't be horrific for them. The one thing political pressure won't be able to do, I imagine, is prevent a compensation chase from other clubs, which could actually make them suffer. Quote
Ironic Indie Lad Posted 9 hours ago Posted 9 hours ago Its remarkable how many City fans are still not accepting this but saying things like "...if this turns out to be true" I don't think there is a chance in hell that the Premier League releases a statement that strong if there is any chance; of an appeal going well or any chance of a light or even moderate punishment. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted 9 hours ago Author Members Posted 9 hours ago 8 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said: Asking for titles to be stripped because of undisclosed payments to agents, then wanting them to be handed to a side that was managed by Harry Redknapp in the same time-frame is absolutely classic. "900m? Blimey, not even Uncle Harry would commit tax fraud on that scale! But no seriously, he's said to not go looking through his accounts as he assures me they're all fine. Don't look" Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted 9 hours ago Paid Members Posted 9 hours ago 16 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said: Its remarkable how many City fans are still not accepting this but saying things like "...if this turns out to be true" Even Joe Hart came out on Monday and said he had no reason not to trust the word of the people in charge so you can see why. The statement from the PL is utterly damning but Man City's is equally strong and, from the outside, seems fucking ridiculous to me but they must have some cause for thinking they really are innocent: Quote "The Club is innocent of the accusations made by the Premier League and a comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence exists in support of all of its positions, relating to this case. The Club will therefore be relentless, and where necessary proactive, in any and all appropriate regulatory and legal forums. "The Premier League process remains ongoing, with significant elements uncompleted. Manchester City FC will now pursue the appeal avenues open to it, on the basis that the opinion contains clear material errors, of law, principle and fact, and is unsafe. "The Club has diligently respected due process for eight years on the basis that the Premier League Board and Executive would behave as an independent, impartial and fair-minded regulator, free from partisan influence. "The Club is obviously restricted in what it can say further until all future proceedings are complete." Quote
westlondonmist Posted 9 hours ago Posted 9 hours ago 13 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said: Makes you hate football. How they have been allowed to get away with it, despite doing it in plain sight is fucked. This mob need to be ran out of town by every other club. I figured they were allowed to get away with it because the Premier League felt an additional strong team in Europe who can win the Champions League makes them as a league commercially stronger. It just eventually came to the point where they had to stop it because they'd punnished many other teams for less. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted 9 hours ago Paid Members Posted 9 hours ago 8 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said: If Poch was in charge of the FA: "congratulations on Harry Kane for his 14th Premier League title, despite not playing in 14 Premier League seasons.." Was talking about this last night. I think Chelsea should have been stripped of the titles and I think Man City should be too. But awarding them to someone else would be ridiculous. How do you even celebrate that? Harry Kane and Son on an open top bus around London with their 16/17 shirts on? I can see why the PL are loathe to do it because as I said yesterday, half the PL seasons from the 2010s should effectively be "did not happen". What a terrible look for the biggest league in the world. Quote
Ironic Indie Lad Posted 9 hours ago Posted 9 hours ago I truly don't understand how they can say they have "diligently respected due process" when a large percentage of the charges are for failure to provide information, documentation etc. No fucking idea how its possible for the evidence to be irrefutable. If it was really that simple and really that cast iron, we wouldn't be here. I've been anonymously told that the punishment is that Micah Richards is being banned from punditry work. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted 8 hours ago Author Members Posted 8 hours ago 17 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said: I've been anonymously told that the punishment is that Micah Richards is being banned from punditry work. This would be most welcome. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted 8 hours ago Paid Members Posted 8 hours ago He won't have time when he buys a non-league club and gets a Netflix doco. See if he's still laughing when they've just been pumped 5-0 by Radcliffe. p.s. j/k, I like Micah p.p.s. Not happening, Radcliffe are fucking rubbish. Quote
Ironic Indie Lad Posted 8 hours ago Posted 8 hours ago 6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: This would be most welcome. Micah Banned and we call it quits on the rest lads. At least City fans can hold their heads held high and be proud of the fact they stopped cheating just as soon as they were hacked. Quote
Paid Members mim731 Posted 6 hours ago Paid Members Posted 6 hours ago 2 hours ago, tiger_rick said: Was talking about this last night. I think Chelsea should have been stripped of the titles and I think Man City should be too. But awarding them to someone else would be ridiculous. How do you even celebrate that? Harry Kane and Son on an open top bus around London with their 16/17 shirts on? I can see why the PL are loathe to do it because as I said yesterday, half the PL seasons from the 2010s should effectively be "did not happen". What a terrible look for the biggest league in the world. I heard it suggested yesterday that if they are stripped of the titles, because of what you've mentioned that they should be like the dodgy Tour De France wins for Lance Armstrong where he was stripped, but there was effectively no winner that year rather than it going to second place. I'm not sure how that work in practice but it's an interesting idea. As for the punishment, you have to image the only way to do that without causing an even bigger headache is to have it be something forward facing, so that affects them now rather than retroactively. Then the clubs affected can either individually or as an enormous class action suit suit the fuck out of the club if they wish. Quote
Ironic Indie Lad Posted 6 hours ago Posted 6 hours ago I think the punishment needs to cover the period they have been confirmed as cheats. I also think the punishment needs to acknowledge that the foundations for the current success were built on lies. They would not be at the level they are no without the cheating. All joking aside I would strip the titles, enormous points deduction / OR direct expulsion (whatever is possible within the rules) and a transfer ban. I also think Man City need to be forced to release a statement acknowledging their guilt and an apology to all other teams. As far as redistributing trophies, I wouldn't bother. The history should just say "no title awarded" for future generations to look back on and understand premier league football for a very long period was a sham. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted 6 hours ago Paid Members Posted 6 hours ago 2 hours ago, tiger_rick said: Even Joe Hart came out on Monday and said he had no reason not to trust the word of the people in charge so you can see why. The statement from the PL is utterly damning but Man City's is equally strong and, from the outside, seems fucking ridiculous to me but they must have some cause for thinking they really are innocent: They haven't really got any choice but to issue a statement like that. They're sticking to their guns. They haven't really got anything left to lose and they're clinging on to the faith of those City fans who either don't give a shit (there are a lot) or who believe the club's done no wrong. If they were to come out and say "Yes, we accept the verdict and the report" then it could speed up the sanctions against them. This way they're delaying what seems to be the inevitable. I was going to say it's a shame there doesn't seem to be any City fans on here anymore but then I realised that nobody really wants a TapOut Tapes return. Quote
Ironic Indie Lad Posted 6 hours ago Posted 6 hours ago I deleted twitter along time ago as I felt like it was absolute poison to my brain. I downloaded it again as soon as the news broke on Friday (will 100% be deleting again soon as its much, much worse than ever) I've noticed it was initially denial among the fans. That seems to have moved on now to acknowledging they "cheated" but its the rules that are wrong and they had no choice other than to cheat etc. Considering its only Wednesday, interesting to see where their heads are at by the weekend. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.