Your ultimate Olympics

Just Some Guy

Well, all the sporting action is done in Paris and there is just the closing ceremony and handing out of the women's Marathon medals to go.

It's been a decent enough games IMHO but.....

There have been 329 events in 32 sports in 48 disciplines (source Wikipedia). There are of course hundreds of other games and sports not in the Olympics and, if Breaking has shown us anything, it's that almost anything can be a sport.

So, What would you want to see in your ideal Olympic games? Big fan of Tchoukball? Fancy seeing Luke Humphries getting Gold in the darts? Latin American & Ballroom dancing? Or perhaps you'd like to see the return of artistic events like poetry & etching!?

Are there any events within existing Olympic sports that aren't contested but you think should be?

For me, I'd love to see cue sports introduced. Snooker, 9-Ball & 3-cushion Billiards could all have a place in a 2 week games.

Boxing isn't in for LA in 4 years time so how about Chess-Boxing instead. I'd watch.

Finally in athletics, I can't understand why someone hasn't suggested a team Decathlon/Heptathlon. In other words each nation puts up their finest hurdler, shot putter, high jumper etc etc and see which nation scores the most points.

Over to you.

• Paid Members

I like all the sports that are in but there are tweaks that can be made. My main one would be to change the Fencing. The 1v1 on a piste is OK but what would be better would be more like the melee from back in the time of knights. I'm thinking more of a team competition, you could have teams in a big square, perhaps the horse dancing arena, they have so many points and each touch reduces a team by 2 points for the body and 3 for the head like Taekwondo. When your team is down to zero you lose. If you wanted to spice it up you could put in hills and obstacles, make the course bigger. It would be an amazing thing to watch. 

Warhammer.

I'd like to see vert skateboarding, these kids today can bang out a 900 unlike anyone before.

Pro Wrestling, it's not wrestler from one country fighting one from another but a dance between two men or women from the same country. Let's say they get 10 minutes and are rated by judges on the performance, get in da Meltz for shits and giggles.

Dungeons and Dragons.

Out: equestrian, synchronised swimming, open water swimming, diving, velodrome cycling (keep road cycling), rhythmic gymnastics, pentathlon, halfpipe BMX (keep BMX racing), trampolining. 

Tweaked: football -> futsal, golf -> crazy golf, field hockey -> floorball

In: billiards, darts, kwik cricket, rugby league 9s, dodgeball, tug of war, squash, netball, ten pin bowling, lawn bowls, pickleball, tractor-pulling, speedway, moto GP, Formula 1, rounders, wellie boot-chucking, egg & spoon race, three-legged race. 

Remove sports where competitions already exist that are considered a greater accolade than winning the Olympics e.g - Football, Tennis, Basketball, Golf, Rugby. Lesser known variations of the sports welcome.

Remove Dressage and replace with Jousting.

Also add - Ten Pin Bowling, Octopush, Sumo Wrestling, Stone Lifting, Shuffleboard, Kabaddi, Squash, Axe Throwing, Woodchopping, Gladiators style Duel with pugil sticks, Total Wipeout style Assault Course, Rock/Paper/Scissors and Big Train style Staring Contests.

Edited by MachoLibre

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Warhammer.

I'd like to see vert skateboarding, these kids today can bang out a 900 unlike anyone before.

Pro Wrestling, it's not wrestler from one country fighting one from another but a dance between two men or women from the same country. Let's say they get 10 minutes and are rated by judges on the performance, get in da Meltz for shits and giggles.

Dungeons and Dragons.

I nearly suggested Pro Wrestling in the format you have suggested.

On the nerd-sports front I was thinking of Magic: The Gathering.

• Members
9 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I'd love to see Kabbadi at the Olympics. I didn't think it was a very widely played game though?

They had the world championship on a few years back on the iplayer but its never been back on :( Quality sport.