Anyone else wonder...?

Carbomb

• Paid Members

Dunno if this works as a thread, but wasn't sure where to put this sort of thing, so here goes.

I was watching some old clips of the Nick Hancock-hosted Room 101 yesterday, and I remembered a theory I came up with at the time, but never checked if anyone else thought the same.

Essentially, I thought Hancock sounded a lot like Jonathan Pearce, and that maybe that was why, or at least one reason why, he was made the host of They Think It's All Over

Anyone else think this at the time?

If you had a similar situation, where you came up with some bollocks theory about something minor, send a stamped address envelope to:

Wacaday
TV-AM
London NW1 8TQ!

(or just post in this thread)

• Members
34 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Essentially, I thought Hancock sounded a lot like Jonathan Pearce, a

I'm gonna have to go and listen but this sounds mental as to my recollection  he sounded NOTHING like him.

I have one: Fulham only signed Collins John, as they'd already had John Collins and they thought it would be funny.

Is that right? Have I *gags* understood the assignment? *retches* 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm gonna have to go and listen but this sounds mental as to my recollection  he sounded NOTHING like him.

Listening it back, it's weird, because they have a completely different pitch - but, to me, there's a "rasp" to their voices that to me sound very similar, very "football commentator-y". Think that's what my mind latched on to at the time.

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I have one: Fulham only signed Collins John, as they'd already had John Collins and they thought it would be funny.

Is that right? Have I *gags* understood the assignment? *retches* 

I didn't know that!

I guess you have - was thinking more of semi-serious theories, but this thread would have no legs if it was just that, so this goes.

With that allowed, I'll put another one forward: Guardiola only signed Gvardiol for the same reason.

Not being a sports fan, and not knowing who Jonathan Pearce is, I've listened to him and I can see what you mean as far as their similar voices.

My personal theory for the longest time was that it wasn't Tom Hardy as the voice of Bane, but Gary Oldman.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Chorleydave said:

Didn't Spurs replace Kyle Walker with Kyle Walker-Peters?

Yeh, I remember reading that he had a pretty impressive debut, possibly even better than Walker's, leading to Spurs fans tweeting they were looking forward to the emergence of their young player Lionel Messi-Peters.

15 minutes ago, Chorleydave said:

And Wolfsburg, I'm sure, only took on Wolfgang Wolf as manager for the alliteration

Well, it was a sound strategy when Arsenal appointed Wenger. They should've followed up by replacing him with Gunnar Halle.

Edited by Carbomb

11 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah of course, but just like you, I couldn't think of it :)

Seeing as 90% of my (our?) material has been sent to the forum Room 101 in the other thread I’ve decided to lay off the shit puns for the rest of the week, probably.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

In the nineties I was convinced that Wolves signed John De Wolf purely for the name value.