Who Killed WCW?

Merzbow

Nash does seem to be at the centre of a lot of the rubbish that happened in WCW in terms of politics and making a mess of storylines.

Hogan is Hogan and in many ways earned the right to be a political animal. Nash on the other hand seems like the oddest guy who was constantly in the ear of guys telling them this was 'killing them' etc etc. I think Bischoff mentioned years ago (pre being an idiot) that Goldberg started listening to Nash and that's when he changed.

Anyway, show was pretty 'meh' some interesting bits but mainly a lot of whitewashing certain things. Obviously it was all worth it for the Bret supercuts.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Nash does seem to be at the centre of a lot of the rubbish that happened in WCW in terms of politics and making a mess of storylines.

I don't think anyone learned this in 2024 of the man that successfully lobbied for himself to beat Goldberg as soon as he got on the booking team, did they?

11 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I don't think anyone learned this in 2024 of the man that successfully lobbied for himself to beat Goldberg as soon as he got on the booking team, did they?

I'm not saying we didn't know he was political, but it's mad amusing how he's CONSTANTLY the guy who was involved in this stuff. Hogan seemed political for himself, Nash was politicking the hell out of everyone and killing the company with it.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Nash was politicking the hell out of everyone and killing the company with it.

Let me dig out my "let's kill Bret in Toronto" story out of the basket one more time...

• Paid Members

Episode 2 and 4 were the highlights for Bret Hart and the unearthed last Nitro footage (and seeing Shane McMahon being hit by what looked like a rubber duck when he entered the ring, that was new to me). But as a whole series it was pretty poor, treading on old ground and never answered the question properly (because it was multiple people in multiple ways). Bischoff was particularly shit though I thought, even worse than in his usual talking heads.

Booker continuing the line about not knowing what was next after the last Nitro is an odd one as I've seen a couple of people over the years say he was already contacted by the WWF and signed before then. WWF booked that entire last show on purpose to have him come in as champion.

It makes sense that they'd have major names they wanted to sign signed as soon as they could.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But as a whole series it was pretty poor, treading on old ground and never answered the question properly (because it was multiple people in multiple ways).

That's the problem, isn't it? The answer's the same as its been for 20 years. Do you blame the guy that put it the bullet in it when it was already beyond saving due to the amount of blood lost, or the morons that cut the legs off it to begin with?