The anti wrestling people

no user name

16 minutes ago, air_raid said:

It's far more fun to try and convince them that boxing is rigged too.

Boxing IS rigged, far more than people would like to admit, as is MMA.  If betting syndicates are fixing cricket matches you can be sure they're also fixing boxing and MMA matches which is far easier.

Sport in general is HUGELY corrupt to the extent that we all just kind of ignore it.  Look at the selection of Olympic venues, FIFA World Cup venues etc.  It's absolutely not a meritorious system and there's vast sums of money illegally changing hands but nobody really wants to deal with it.

But yeah, that bastard Carpentier deffo took a dive against Kowalski, the faker.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Futurama already did that

There's probably a Futurama moment for every thread. "Show me on this anatomically correct doll exactly where he touched you."

34 minutes ago, Loki said:

Boxing IS rigged, far more than people would like to admit

It’s always historically been the easiest to rig as well because only one person needs to be in on it. 

• Paid Members

yeah, there's an old Jack Johnson line - "there's a difference between a deal and a fix". There's more ways to rig a fight than having everyone in on it - really any combination of fighters, referees and promoters can make it work, depending what the desired outcome is. 

• Paid Members

I think this is a good excuse to post this, the much-forgotten screwing over of Wendi Richter. Ref does terribly with his three count, Gorilla and Jesse are incredulous, and it looks shite all round.

In conclusion - Montreal really was the best screwjob there is, was and ever will be.

18 hours ago, DCW said:

Last time I publicly divulged that I watch wrestling was in 2001 in Ms.Lyon's 2nd-year English class. We had to write an essay about our favorite superhero and seeing as I wasn't into that craic at all I substituted Kane for one of those Marvel lads. I wrote a pretty decent essay about the past history of the character of Kane and what he was up to on telly at the time (feuding with HHH for the IC title I think, thankfully this was pre-Katie Vick!)

The first words from Ms.Lyon's after me reading it aloud in front of the entire class was 'you understand it's all fixed don't you? which was very irritating to teenage me. I knew well it was fixed as I was an avid smarky Power Slam reader back then. What annoyed me more was that Ms.Lyon's was obsessed with Harry Potter, with her class filled with posters, figures and lots of other merch as well as her dragging everyone to see the first film instead of LOTR like the class voted for. If she could suspend her disbelief for witches and goblins or whatever, then I should be able to do the same for wrestling without condescension from her.

She defo thought she was a comedian with that "You understand its all fixed don't you?" comment, and fuck, Dragging you to see Harry Potter. Should have been reported to Ofsted for that alone.

• Paid Members

I have a Masters degree where 1/6 of my marks came from a report I did about WWE and comparing various business metrics, which was a thinly veiled excuse to write thousands of words about why John Cena wasn't as good as Hulk Hogan. So academic naysayers be damned.

I've not heard this said for many years, however I remind people that the outcomes of matches can sometimes be far more unpredictable than boxing or other sport, it's why as a rule I tend to mostly avoid looking too closely at the industry "experts" and their newsletters/websites with rumours and predictions - in the same way as I avoid spoilers on the latest TV series I'm watching.

Oh and I would like to say Hi! This is my first post here.

32 minutes ago, TimW said:

I've not heard this said for many years, however I remind people that the outcomes of matches can sometimes be far more unpredictable than boxing or other sport, it's why as a rule I tend to mostly avoid looking too closely at the industry "experts" and their newsletters/websites with rumours and predictions - in the same way as I avoid spoilers on the latest TV series I'm watching.

Oh and I would like to say Hi! This is my first post here.

You're 100% right there, some boxing matches are so obvious that there isn't any point watching them.

it had a bad reputation up till about 15 -20 years ago  "you don't watch that crap it's all fake isn't it" but I think the younger generation are more accepting of it now days even if there not fans of it particularly