Wrestling Awards - Moment of the Year 2023

Wrestling Awards - Moment of the Year 2023  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Sami at The Rumble was glorious. That and Jimmy saving Jey’s soul at Night of Champions:

Are two of the greatest emotional highs I’ve ever had from televised pro wrestling. It breaks my heart that they bottled The Bloodline saga. I went from being absolutely buzzing at the prospect of the next SmackDown, to following SmackDown via podcast recaps, and then one year on from Sami hitting Roman I was feeling nothing at all when Jimmy And Jey were 1 and 2 in the rumble. Still some of the best wrestling TV of all time though. It’s like Game of Thrones for me now, where I have to remind myself that the last few seasons don’t erase how much I loved the rest of it. 

That said, I still voted for Bowens. Hearing a pro wrestling crowd chanting “he’s gay” to support the babyface and taunt the heel was a sincerely beautiful moment that trumps storylines for me. 

Edited by JLM

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

If anything, it ages better with time. Sami at the Rumble might be the best thing I’ve ever seen in pro-wrestling.

You’re right. I’ve watched it an uncountable number of times, but I’ve just watched it again. It’s perfect. I don’t think I’ve been invested in a babyface as much, other than Aretha Franklin Bret and Daniel Bryan.

The entire Bloodline angle was one of the best they’ve done, but this night in particular was one for the ages. The worry on Sami’s face that had built over the months. The chaining of Owens. The handing of the chair and the push in the face. A lot will be said about this feud over the years but I hope Roman Reigns’ brilliance throughout it gets a good nod.

But bloody hell, that chair shot. Everyone was waiting for it and wanted it. The ‘wooah’ the second before it happened is part of the fun. But when it hit? Man. That was it. It clapped around the arena and the world. The subsequent superkicks landed well but were irrelevant. That chair shot was the pinnacle of the storyline so whatever followed was always going to be an afterthought.

CM Punk coming back was good, too.

• Paid Members

It's a shame this moment, match and actually the whole event hasn't been remembered more fondly because it was such an enjoyable three hours. The crowd were just brilliant, makes such a difference to have an event somewhere that's not burnt out by having regular, dull shows there. They need to get Bad Bunny back to do something as well - a match against Logan Paul would be a ridiculous blast.