Croaking it 2024

Gus Mears

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Not going to speculate on anything about his circumstances or how he felt or anything like that because what's the point. But many online are forgetting he was a human being, instead rushing to post their memes and jokes, and that's the shit side of fame. That many assume you're giving yourself over completely, like you belong to everyone now. But he was still a son and a friend and a father and whatever else. He was still human. He wasn't just a product. So to then be laughing about his death is just such a cunty thing to do, even if he was having problems or whatever else.

To be honest, anyone who jokes about anyone's death is a cunt. 

@SuperBacon I'm sorry you and your family had to go through that, that sounds absolutely horrific. My father in law died on the bus 4 weeks ago and it's awful dealing with something like that happening in a public place but I can't imagine how much worse it is with people making up nonsense. Grieving is hard enough.

• Paid Members

For some people laughing about something like this is their way of dealing with it, but I totally agree with you that making your shitty edgy jokes on social media to try and gain "internet cred" is not the done thing. A friend and I were discussing this very subject this morning.

I'll hold my hands up and admit that I have a very close knit group of two or three friends, and if somebody famous passes away we'll sometimes send a message about it to our group chat which is in something of poor taste, but it's not anything I'd ever want to share with the world. We make the remark, we move on. It's a coping thing, and a private thing between those friends and me. If that has sullied me in your eyes, I understand and apologise from the bottom of my heart for disappointing you.

It's a horrible, tragic thing that's happened. I'm no fan of One Direction so can't imagine what it feels like for their fans to hear that news, but I've seen Facebook friends who are very much struggling to deal with it. At the end of the day, celebrity or not, he was a human being with a family. Thirty-one is no age at all, and no parent should have to bury their child. A truly sad couple of days for a lot of people.

You make a valid point @Jazzy G, people do process death in different ways and I hadn't really contemplated that. I will say the scenario you described is slightly different as you are doing it in private, not in a public forum where that person's family/friends/children etc are likely to see it.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, deathrey said:

not in a public forum where that person's family/friends/children etc are likely to see it.

That'd be the last thing I'd want to do. 

Private jokes with friends is absolutely one thing but some of the comments on social media this morning have been horrific. I'm not sure which is worse, the attempts at humour or the attempts to make it out as not newsworthy. Of course it's newsworthy. 

Listening to Capital Breakfast was heartbreaking this morning. Hearing those three presenters who knew him to various degrees nearly cracking constantly as they read out fans comments and memories was horrible and shows just how many people this affects. 

I'm going to BA next week and am staying a couple of blocks away so will probably pass the hotel at some point. If there's flowers etc, I'll probably lay some if possible because no matter how little I connected with his career I can connect with the fact he's struggling and a little boy has been left without a dad. A truly sad day for so many people. 

Yeah there's the jokers and then there's the "where's your level of this upset about Palestine?!" and stuff like that. And I get it. Obviously it's something people should be concerned about but I also completely understand why people are more concerned about things that either directly impact them or they're more familiar with. That seems fairly natural.

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah there's the jokers and then there's the "where's your level of this upset about Palestine?!" and stuff like that. And I get it. Obviously it's something people should be concerned about but I also completely understand why people are more concerned about things that either directly impact them or they're more familiar with. That seems fairly natural.

It turns into some sort of death tennis where theres a battle for what's more important. The whole "there's people worse off than you" thing is bollocks because then there'd only be one person in the world who we mutually agreed was the worst off that we sent our sympathy to.