UKFF Vinyl and Records

SuperBacon

• Paid Members

Yeah the 3 for £55 was on here as well. I had Antics by Interpol in hand but couldn’t justify £55 plus the Devo record so put it back.

A quick look now shows I could have gotten the Devo one for £10-20 less elsewhere. Bummer.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I feel like it wasn’t long ago I said I hadn’t bought vinyl in ages and yet here I am up to my eyeballs in it.

Another one for the collection thanks as an early birthday present from the wife.

That £5.99 sticker makes me feel a little sad.

IMG_8673.jpeg

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

I went in HMV earlier today for the first time in about 6 years. I know it's been mentioned on here recently but I had no idea just how much they had gotten behind the whole vinyl craze. Their vinyl section was easily as big as their CD section used to be in the 90s/00s. Was contemplating going for the 3 for £55 deal on Echo & The Bunnymen, Talking Heads and The Waterboys, then realised daft shite here doesn't even have a record player.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by just how cool it still was in there, to be fair*. Once you got past the Funko Pops, anime merch and Rebel Moon t-shirts (whose buying those?!), the vinyl section was presented with the kind of care you'd typically associate with an independent record shop and the DVD/Blu-Rays were seperated into neat little categories like Criterion Classics and Arrow Video cult films. If I had the kind of disposable income I had in my early 20s I'd be making a trip every weekend.

*cool to me, so obviously very uncool

I think HMV surviving on the High Street and selling tons of vinyl is a good thing.  It also helps stabilise the market for independent record shops.

But yeah, super expensive.  I recommend Juno.co.uk as an online store - I buy most of my records from there.  Other people use Discogs a lot, can be a crapshoot though.

I need to get some new needles though - I used to buy Shure SM44s but they've stopped making needles altogether.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Loki said:

I think HMV surviving on the High Street and selling tons of vinyl is a good thing.  It also helps stabilise the market for independent record shops.

But yeah, super expensive.  I recommend Juno.co.uk as an online store - I buy most of my records from there.  Other people use Discogs a lot, can be a crapshoot though.

I need to get some new needles though - I used to buy Shure SM44s but they've stopped making needles altogether.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

I buy the tonar n447s for my shure m447 carts and I've been pretty happy with them. 

Edited by Chest Rockwell

36 minutes ago, Loki said:

Another caveat is customer service. Obviously all the shops aren't the same, but every time I've been in HMV recently, the staff have been really helpful and pleasant.

Contrast that to the absolute twat that runs an independent shop in Winchester, and it couldn't be more different.

I've worked in retail, I get it. I'm also a human that has shit days, I get it. But it genuinely is like walking into Rob Gordon's Championship Vinyl and being met by Barry, and subsequently I'll never buy anything from him. 

Anecdotally maybe a one off place, but it all adds up. 

9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Contrast that to the absolute twat that runs an independent shop in Winchester, and it couldn't be more different.

The guy who runs Polar Bear in Kings Heath is a total bellend and I won't go there even though it's been my closest record shop for the last fifteen years. In contrast if ever I get to Birmingham city centre in the daytime I make a point of going to see Rich in Ignite at the Oasis market as he's such a bloody lovely bloke. He used to work in Tempest which closed down 15 years ago, I rarely get to Birmingham these days but when I do he still remembers my name and is just lovely so I feel I have to buy a record even if there's nothing I know I want, but that's usually how you find the best stuff. 

I'd promised myself I was done buying records with a few exceptions but reading the last few days of this thread really makes me want to get back to a record shop.

Actually the other day I had an unexpected knock at the door in the evening and it was a man with a record I'd kind of forgotten I'd ordered - the Wildhearts PHUQ deluxe box set that I ordered and paid for two years ago. It's lovely, purple velvet box, three slabs of gold, people and splatter vinyl. I haven't had the chance the listen to it yet but one day I'll get to do more then just look at it.

10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

What a shop that was!

I bought so much stuff from there between about 97-2006 , loved the place. Walking there after work on Mondays and just having a chat for ages then maybe buying something, so much random crap, great place. The strangest thing I bought there was a 7" single from the glass box in the counter, I had no idea who it was by and still don't as it's mummified. Well wrapped in bandages that you can't open without presumably damaging the record. Holding it up too the light it appears to be orange vinyl but I've absolutely no idea who it what it is and I've never been able to find any reference to a mummified / bandaged record anywhere. The lads in the shop probably just thought "I bet we can get that twat to buy anything" and did it themselves. Bless them.

Frequented a lot of record shops in my teenage years. Mostly central London and Mr Bongos, Sister Ray, Deal Real, were just a few that I loved. Bongos was king as not only did it have the newest hip hop, you'd probably be served by a Scratch Pervert which 15yo me thought was the coolest. Poland Street where it was, was also the first place I ever saw a Banksy (protestor throwing flowers) and it was just a very special place.

Twickenham had a couple but nothing special, but Kingston was where the local treasure was. A fantastic second hand one down London Road, Slammin' Vinyl for all your dance music (it was truly grimy) and Beggars Banquet, which is now Banquet Records. 

A truly incredible shop that I'd go in pretty much every day (went to school in Twickenham but lived for a while in Kingston, well more Norbiton actually) and whether it was letting us listen to loads of singles on the player, asking for incredibly obscure NY rap mixtapes (which they would then source for me) selling rare music magazines/fanzines down to each record/CD having a personalised handwritten note on it, it completely shaped my musical tastes and I owe a lot to it.

My favourite shop of all time, and I'm so pleased it's still going and now also puts on massive local gigs by people like Shania Twain and Burna Boy, to smaller bands. Great company.

• Moderators

Did you ever make it down here to Beanos in Croydon? That place was amazing. 

For London shops I also really rate Flashback in Islington. There used to be a great place on the high street in Camden sandwiched between bong shops but I've forgotten what it was called. 

Soul Brother near Putney has a great collection but you can't browse so it's a pain in the arse.

There's a bunch of other ones that were or are still really good, I could go on but I'll leave it there for now...

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Did you ever make it down here to Beanos in Croydon? That place was amazing. 

I did not, but an excellent name. Croydon isn't a place I've been to much to be honest.

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

There used to be a great place on the high street in Camden sandwiched between bong shops but I've forgotten what it was called. 

I know exactly where you mean, and I have a vague recollection of one of the shops one-but-next door being a real cigar shop. 

I think the only thing I ever bought from there was a proper CDR jobby of a DJ Kay Slay or DJ Whoo Kid mix CD.