UKFF Vinyl and Records

SuperBacon

I've made just over a grand recently selling a few Marilyn Manson records. I've been trying to get original pressings of The Replacements albums using some of the money. I'd love to be able to tell you that the Marilyn Manson albums were a smart investment that's finally paid off, but the truth is that it was a total fluke. I don't think I spent more than £13 each on them in the early noughties when no one gave a shit about vinyl anymore. Plus I wanted rid before the horrible bastard is sent down. 

5 hours ago, Panhead said:

I've made just over a grand recently selling a few Marilyn Manson records. 

Please tell me that the original pressing of Mechanical Animals is worth loads these days? I remember buying it because it was a double album on CD but on two separate LP's in different sleeves and I liked the gimmick but I can't have listened to either one more than twice so if it's worth anything I wouldn't be upset to part with it. It's probably worth about 50p though because from what I recall it's terrible.

After completing Sparks recently I told Mrs W that my record buying days are over with just a few caveats (any new Sparks, Ginger, Helen Love, possibly a few others) because apparently I've "got enough" and she recently bought me an Echo Studio which to be fair does sound really really good so these days i rarely actually get to put a record on due to having that and hardly having any time to actually listen to anything at home when no bugger else is about.

I do love a record though, I massively regret those days in the late 90s where I'd buy an album on tape because I could listen to it on the bus home rather than get the LP then tape it when I got home. I'm always happy when I remember the day 1977 by Ash was released and both the LP and cassette were £3.99 for one day, I was and still an so pleased that I actually bought the LP on that occasion.

Picture discs suck though.

• Paid Members

I own one of those cheapo suitcase record players, so my vinyl collection reflects the quality of the playback machine in that it consists entirely of compilations from the 70s to the early 90s. Mostly anthems, ballads, yacht rock, with a few other twists and genres thrown in for variety, and all bought from charity shops and car boots. I must own at least 50 of the fuckers, and they all sound terrible. It's fucking amazing.

Edited by Accident Prone

18 hours ago, Harry Wiseau said:

Please tell me that the original pressing of Mechanical Animals is worth loads these days? I remember buying it because it was a double album on CD but on two separate LP's in different sleeves and I liked the gimmick but I can't have listened to either one more than twice so if it's worth anything I wouldn't be upset to part with it. It's probably worth about 50p though because from what I recall it's terrible.

After completing Sparks recently I told Mrs W that my record buying days are over with just a few caveats (any new Sparks, Ginger, Helen Love, possibly a few others) because apparently I've "got enough" and she recently bought me an Echo Studio which to be fair does sound really really good so these days i rarely actually get to put a record on due to having that and hardly having any time to actually listen to anything at home when no bugger else is about.

I do love a record though, I massively regret those days in the late 90s where I'd buy an album on tape because I could listen to it on the bus home rather than get the LP then tape it when I got home. I'm always happy when I remember the day 1977 by Ash was released and both the LP and cassette were £3.99 for one day, I was and still an so pleased that I actually bought the LP on that occasion.

Picture discs suck though.

Have a look on eBay. The one I sold recently was the Simply Vinyl 180g. 

5 hours ago, Panhead said:

Have a look on eBay. The one I sold recently was the Simply Vinyl 180g. 

I did, then I went on discogs, then I made the mistake of looking up some other stuff I own that and now I feel a bit sick. A lot of stuff has been selling for less than a fiver but certain albums have sold at an average of a fair bit, to the point where I can't ever listen to them knowing they've sold for that and I feel like I should sell a bunch as otherwise the spine will just be bleached by the sun and devalue it. There's certain things I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to get rid of and I know streaming isn't the utopia people think it is but I can't knowingly keep some of that stuff just in case I want to listen to one side of one record in fifteen years time when I could get £200+ for it right now.

I wish I hadn't looked.

7" singles are worth nothing though which is a shame as I've got loads of them and would happily sell them as I never listen to them as it involves taking the platter off the turntable to change the spec speed.

Are you looking at Completed/Sold Listings on Advanced Search? That'll give you a realistic idea. I've some Paramore vinyl that's worth a lot but I've no interest in selling. I'd moved on from Manson a long time ago so it was easy for me to part with it. 

I've never bought any record as an investment. I just buy stuff that I like. 

Edited by Panhead

Yeah, completed listings on eBay and the average and last sold price on discogs, most of my stuffs not going for much but some of it is silly money considering it's stuff I haven't listened to in ages and will never again (Manson for example) I only ever bought them to listen and it's not like I'm going to go crazy and try and pay the mortgage off by selling everything but got the stuff I know I'm never going to listen to and is making money I might see how it goes. 

I did have a romantic vision of my retirement where I would finally get the chance to sit down to actually listen to them all, an album a day, in alphabetical order then the night after I listened to ZZ tops greatest hits I pass away in my sleep but I guess on the day I was going to listen to the first oasis album I'll just read a book instead. On my Kindle though, all the physical ones will be gone by then.

• 2 months later...

I forgot to add that I did get my eldest a record player (shout out the homey @gmoney for helping a brother out) and it went down very well. "I'm gassed" I believe she said.

She now has this cool little set up and with the ones I've bought her for Xmas has quickly amassed about 30 records already! 

spacer.png

You can tell I had nothing to do with those shelves as they are level for one thing.

Discovered there is a lovely little cheap record shop 10 minutes from us, next to the coffee place owner by one half of Artful Dodger (all happens down here!!!) so I think I'm going to get a player for myself next. 

• Paid Members

My wife surprised me with this today. Comix Zone soundtrack with some pretty rad stuff including a booklet full of interviews with some of the creators, an art/profile card and some gnarly record designs.

Side D is the exclusive soundtrack CD they released performed by the sound designer and a live band.

IMG_8608.thumb.jpeg.98e08efde80b30b026e7b5c4e7c45d92.jpeg

IMG_8610.thumb.jpeg.cd72fb6535c7d6043a168c9e0be60770.jpeg

IMG_8611.thumb.jpeg.7593b5b61920a26264f28da91c515fc6.jpeg

• Paid Members

Hello. Me again. My wife has started me off.

Not as action packed as the Comix Zone one in terms of extras. Some nice artwork and a brief interview with Yuzo Koshiro. They did a bone coloured record and a limited double header with both the studio and Mega Drive soundtracks but they were sold out so I got the standard one with just the studio recordings. What a soundtrack.

IMG_8621.jpeg

IMG_8622.jpeg

IMG_8623.jpeg

Absolutely popped a stiffy for the high quality art of the end of level bosses on those Shinobi inlays! 

It's led me to discover the Streets of Rage soundtrack has got a vinyl outing which I must absolutely have. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I got the 50 Years of Devolution set from HMV in the Metro when we went to see Boy and The Heron. Expensive even for a four-sider and I’m not sure why as there’s nothing special about it.

That being said I had Christmas money to spend, it’s DEVO, and it has songs from Total Devo and Smooth Noodle Maps which aren’t on Spotify and not good enough I would want to buy the albums in full. Great to hear Disco Dancer, the cover of Jimi Hendrix’s R U Experienced and Post-Post Modern Man in the compilation though.

It comes with Red and Blue records that look really slick, and it does have some pretty fun inserts including film reel prints from Whip It and the hand-drawn storyboards for Whip It.
For a band with such a deep catalogue spanning 50 years though it’s not all that impressive, but maybe only including Whip It extras is the joke? It’s hard to tell with them.

As far as comps go it’s got something for everybody (pun intended) with a good selection from all the main studio albums, though oddly only having Fresh from their latest album and not Don’t Shoot I’m a Man which opened all their farewell gigs. The biggest flaw though is for some insane reason they only include the Smart Patrol half of Smart Patrol/Mr DNA. Considering that’s one of their showcase songs it’s very underwhelming to hear it fade out where it’s supposed to kick off. 

On the whole though like I said, four sides of pretty much nothing but hits and some later gems you rarely hear. Worth picking up if you’re a fan.

IMG_8675.jpeg

IMG_8676.jpeg

IMG_8677.jpeg

image.jpg

50 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I got the 50 Years of Devolution set from HMV in the Metro when we went to see Boy and The Heron. Expensive even for a four-sider and I’m not sure why as there’s nothing special about it.

The reason will be because it was from HMV. Their prices are astronomical most of the time. A lot of people (ie. young kids and people not really "into" records) only know of HMV when it comes to record buying and they prey on them.

If you see a record in HMV, you can almost 100% guaranty that you can find it everywhere else for cheaper.

Speaking of cheap records: Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People on green vinyl for £15.29 with the code JANJOY15

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395107087477?hash=item5bfe37b475:g:d50AAOSwq9RllIOK 

10 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

The reason will be because it was from HMV. Their prices are astronomical most of the time. A lot of people (ie. young kids and people not really "into" records) only know of HMV when it comes to record buying and they prey on them. 

They had a 3 for £55 deal recently on some albums that you absolutely cannot buy for under £25 each. Well worth it and my eldest picked up 3 she had wanted for ages. She told me what they were whilst she was in the shop, I looked them all up online and honestly HMV was the cheapest option.

I'll always try and support the independent shops, but I'm also not made of money. Needs must sometimes.

10 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Speaking of cheap records: Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People on green vinyl for £15.29 with the code JANJOY15

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395107087477?hash=item5bfe37b475:g:d50AAOSwq9RllIOK 

Their best album.