One off the bucket list

Just Some Guy

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

That's always been a big one for me too but would involve my brain being far more organised than it is. Any recommendations for notes/writing apps? I'm always curious how people bring it all together. I'm sure I've got something in my brain somewhere. I just need to put the pieces together.

I haven't used any specific writing apps, just Word and Google Docs. It's not the most helpful of advice, but it is handy when a global pandemic leaves you with a lot of time on your hands.

I always thought I'd write fiction - and still hope to - but my first book is non-fiction, and I found that far easier to commit to as I already knew the broad strokes of what I was going to write. I had a strong idea of the structure of the book, across five or six chapters, and made only small changes to that structure in the intervening couple of years.

I'm hoping I can find a way to apply that kind of structure, of having a skeleton to work around, for fiction as well, as whenever I've attempted it before it either peters out entirely or I have a bunch of scenes I don't know how to pull together.

• Paid Members

It's paid but I got a lot out of Scrivener when I had less marketing-driven writing dreams. Found it's approach to structuring and note-taking a lot better than sitting there at the start of a story with a blank page and scattered notes around me or in other Google Docs

• Paid Members

I would second Scrivener. I got back into writing a couple of years ago and have finished a couple of novels using it since then. Think it was about £50 for a lifetime subscription and I've found it really useful for plotting and a place to keep scattered thoughts.

I am the back end of ticking write a book off my bucket list (its been 20 years in the making so its about time)

When I started I used the snowflake method to help me structure something (https://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/) but after a while just started writing whatever came into my head.

In the last year or so I've used the 27 Chapter method to give my work a bit more structure and flow (https://livingwriter.com/blog/27-chapter-method-made-easy)

And now I'm nearly done I use Quillbot to (https://quillbot.com/) to help with my grammar and some paraphrasing work. It also has a co-writer function that I've just looked at which seems pretty cool if you're starting out.

Oh and Google Docs. Means I can write on my Laptop, Phone, iPad. Really made a difference to my output. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just got myself a ticket to Rammstein next year.

Wanted to see Rammstein live for years now, but I’m the only person in my family and circle of friends who likes them, so going to do the same as what I did with Depeche Mode a few years ago: go on my own, and then have a couple of days in the city.