Pancake Day!

Carbomb

• Paid Members

It is, famously, the most important day of Bob Mortimer's year today, and I was determined to make up for last year's not-so-great efforts. Went on BBC Good Food and found a recipe. Only one small issue: we have no plain flour left in the house, and inexplicably have a ton of self-raising, so I used that, fully ready for the disaster that might follow.

There was none. They turned out very nice, very slightly fluffier and softer than regular pancakes, but good nonetheless.

This one was the write-off first one, but it still tasted good, so IRS can't have it.

IMG20230221122046.thumb.jpg.08a4cb299f20d5d5e6b13042558056b3.jpg

And here are the rest! I had the first one savoury - grated cheddar and spring onions, and the second I had sweet, with pineapple jam. Rest of the fam wolfed them down, the gannets, so that's quite gratifying.IMG20230221123120.thumb.jpg.7d50421e956fac73e79fb5a28a4bbbc0.jpg

• Paid Members

In my house it was always fairly straight forward, plain batter with normal sugar and lemon juice from that plastic lemon that’s been in the cupboard so long yer mam has no idea when she should throw it out, so she never will.

Mrs raid faithfully recreated them though snuck in some vanilla extract so they were extra tasty and I juiced one lemon which gave me the perfect amount for the batter. I did have a couple with the end of a jar of blueberry jam too, which was nice, til I remembered how well blueberries go with lemon and squirted some of that on too which made it amazing. But the last one I had peasant style again. Also pictured, mama raids, which she had the same. No frills.

C5FF6F5C-E1B6-42F9-B3E4-611A734D3AAC.jpeg

4231D206-EF25-4107-9E91-C8BDB29B6477.jpeg

63011EA1-5F5C-4E50-B712-8DC5CC3BD741.jpeg

I opted for American style pancakes and had them with maple syrup, greek yogurt and strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.  They were one of my cravings when I was pregnant and I've not had them since the baby was born in October, this was always my preferred topping.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

American pancakes deserve downvotes. Boo!

Spanish lad piped up yesterday about thinking what we call pancakes are too small and thick for what he calls pancakes.

Me : “What the Scottish call pancakes and what the Americans call pancakes are smaller and thicker. What we English call pancakes are basically the same as French crepes.”

Him : “I think you’re wrong.”

Me : “Well, having eaten crepes in Lyon and having eaten my mum’s pancakes my entire life and they’re exactly the same, I know I’m not.”

Needless to say, I had the last laugh.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

There are 3 of us.  I do a double portion of the delia recipe that I’ve always used.  I have 2 pancakes, which means my greedy wife and daughter have what should feed 8 people.