AEW Rampage Thread 2023

Merzbow

• Paid Members

Rampage 13/09 

Conglomeration/Dark Order was a fun six man tag as you'd imagine. Best bit was the assisted kip up from Briscoe and Kylie on OC. 

Kingdom and Sammy/Dustin promo... eehhh.. Dustin tried his best here but good lord I do not care to see these two teams in a rematch for the ROH tag titles. 

Kamille squash was fine, the sit out dominator finish she used was pretty cool. 

Chris Daniels challenging Jack Perry for his title was unexpected. "You'd better pack a lunch 'cos I'm gonna kick your ass" doesn't work. You say "you'd better pack a lunch" if someone says they're going to kick YOUR ass. It implies it's going to be difficult for them/they could be trying all day etc.  Instead his promo was: "I'm going to beat you up, bring sandwiches". 

Roderick Strong vs BEEF. This was made a lot better by the crowd and, more importantly, Daddy Magic being massively into BEEF. BEEF's top rope splash is called the Kentucky Meat Shower and Daddy Magic was beyond delighted about that. I haven't been watching ROH but I saw the introduction of BEEF as Anthony Henry's cousin or something. Seemed more annoying than funny in that debut appearance but the people were behind him here. Might just be because they enjoyed chanting the word BEEF though. 

Saraya/Harley squash notably had Saraya tag herself in to take the win when Harley already had it *AND* she once again left Harley as a human shield against Jamie Hayter. Will Harley realise she's being mugged off? I kinda don't want the Queens of Rampage to split up, but it would be funny if Harley realises she's been conned before Wardlow or Luchasaurus do. 

The MVP of the 2024 G1 Climax vs Shitarse Andretti. Do better Tony Khan. My favourite bit was when Takeshita whipped Andretti into the steps on the outside, stood over him all mockingly and then looked at the crowd to try and draw boos. Instead they chanted "one more time". Correct. Takeshita knocking him out with a massive elbow, THEN the big knee, THEN the Raging Fire just because he felt like it was also correct.

Andretti can do lots of impressive and flashy moves and he does them very well and he rarely botches them but there is just nothing behind the eyes with that man. He has anti-charisma. It's not that he can't do anything that would get a reaction, it's that he does things which normally absolutely WOULD get a reaction, but because it's him they don't. Terrible name, terrible haircut, terrible promos, not funny, no likability, generic look, generic in-ring style, no underdog babyface fire, no sympathetic babyface selling. It's such a shame because a random enhancement talent guy pinning Chris Jericho outta nowhere was such a cool way to get a new guy's run started, but boy was it wasted on him. 

I really, really do not care for Action Andretti. Also that episode of Rampage happened. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, JLM said:

I really, really do not care for Action Andretti. Also that episode of Rampage happened. 

I got very few people agreeing with me that LA Knight is not a great name, but I think Action Andretti is also a poor choice.

• Paid Members

Pretty good episode of Rampage this week, I thought. Briscoe/Keith was a decent hard-hitting affair, Shida vs Cameron was decent (Hayter looks fantastic in her 1970s get-up) and the four-way main event was good fun.

Wheeler Yuta was the MVP of the show though, I'm loving this new direction with him. Can't wait to see the Trios title match at Grand Slam just to see how this develops. 

• Paid Members

Rampage 20/09

Briscoe/Keith was a really fun TV match. Wouldn't usually be interested in a 10+ minute Bryan Keith singles match but he had great chemistry with Briscoe, plus Briscoe's charisma and babyface fire automatically adds heat to any match, even on Rampage. A cut above the average Rampage undercard match. Post-match confirmation that the Conglomeration remain deep in the vortex was disheartening.

Another tremendous performance from Yuta. Poor guy, his trios title is just a horrible reminder of what happened at All Out. Butcher a perfect choice of opponent here, Yuta's ferocity after sufficient provocation allowing him to pummel a much larger opponent into submission. The way he lunged at the ref and the look on his face as he gradually came to his senses were particularly great. Love the very poignant use of the cattle mutilation in these matches too. I think my fantasy booked Continental Classic is going to need four blocks at this rate. BCC-free Yuta with Danielson as his Yoda is now on my ever-growing list of people I want in there. 

Mansoor's Anticipation face got me good here. :

Good match from Shida and Cameron, with Harley once again proving she can hang at this level very well and getting a number of surprisingly big near falls. Shida losing faith in the Katana after it didn't do the job against Mone is an interesting one. I think the Falcon Arrow looks better than it most of the time anyway so I'm all for it. Hayter looked great, though will be glad to see her move onto something more substantial once this is done. Very wise to make Hayter/Saraya some kind of gimmick/plunder match. Plenty of Harley shenanigans and Hayter having to overcome a handicap match will make it way more fun. 

Roddy and Frank Mortos, attorney at law vs Jobbers was a pretty spectacular squash I must say. Gloriously violent. 

Deonna and Taya setting up a women's division mafia is something I can get behind, they've teased this pairing before and I like it a lot. They should add The Mafiosa Valentina Rossi to the stable, for those of us who still miss AEW Dark. 

Main event was the sort of bonkers sprint scramble type match I look for on a Rampage. Thoroughly entertaining stuff, top performances from all four with Lio Rush probably the highlight. Finish made perfect sense and I loved the cut aways to Christian looking like the proudest dad in the world. 

Much, much better than the past few episodes there. Special mention to the commentary trio too. Daddy Magic always a delight of course, but appreciated getting more bonus Riccaboni outside of ROH purgatory. Him and Excalibur both being play-by-play guys could make it awkward but they handled it well and all three of them were in fine form.