NYE MMA - Bellator vs. Rizin, Cage Warriors, Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye etc.

Egg Shen

Happy New Years!!  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 12/30/2022 at 7:34 AM, Egg Shen said:

Still unsure if iPlayer are showing it though. In Amercia I believe the Bellator vs. Rizin main card is being shown on a 24 hour tape delay, so maybe it'll be similar here?

It's on BBC3 from 9pm onwards tonight, at least according to my onscreen guide.

• Paid Members

Fite TV had Rizin 40 live, but the Bellator vs. Rizin bit is on tape delay. Something to do with Japanese TV rights.

Anyways, here's the Cage Warriors card for this evening, it's a doozy:

FlTVy36WIAEQx06.thumb.jpg.8d7639251fa1dc67cc71e743d1fc0aa5.jpg

The show lost it's main event though. Jesse Taylor got hit by a car last night in London so is out of his title fight with Christian Leeroy Duncan. Something mental always happens when Taylor is involved. Rest of the card is quality though. 

• Paid Members

Wait a minute…

90827-B3-B-468-B-482-B-B7-B9-52462-AC69-

@Jesse is that you?

In other news I’ve been catching spoilers for the RIZIN vs Bellator card all day today. As soon as I knew it was gonna be on a massive tape delay straight out of the 2006 UFC on Bravo days I stopped giving a fuck. Ridiculous that in this day and age they can’t sort this shite out properly.

Saw this just, Gillian Robertson submitted Rose Namajunas in about a minute on that Fury grappling thing…

8-EA49762-1-D14-4-D0-D-992-F-343653-A5-D

Chase Hooper subbed Clay Guida with a calf slicer as well! 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Wait a minute…

@Jesse is that you?

Christ, I wish I had a body like that. Too many chippy teas has left me with the arse of a Kardashian and the gut of Jack Black.

In a sign of my strong mental capacity of late, I forgot that Japan was ahead of us in timezones and was expecting to wake up to this show tomorrow so also got masisvely spoiled on Twitter. Might be a blessing though, I love Clay Guida - hate to see him lose (though a calf slicer finish is a rarety!)

• Paid Members

found the Bellator vs. Rizin thing quite flat. At first i like the aesthetic, but I dunno if it the piped in commentary or not having seen a Japanese MMA show in quite some time but it all just felt a little flat. The fights weren't great either, they had their moments but the Bellator guys cruised it pretty much. 

All the violence seemed to be on the undercard (or the Rizin 40 card), lots of stoppages there.

Agreed about the Bellator/Rizin show. The best part was the nostalgia in the first five minutes, taking me back to the Pride days. The impressive arena, the massive set, the introduction of the fighters (but instead of Big Nog, Cro Cop and Fedor, it was Pitbull and McKee) with the Pride music, the ring announcer, and a light show. They even just cut to the first fight with the fighters already in the ring on a split screen, which was another Pride move I remember.

All the fights were completley forgetable, unfortunately. Just a point on the set, though. I do wish the UFC would do it with a few select shows a year. It makes everything seem more big time and important when you have a giant set with a big screen, pyro and a long aisle. I know it doesnt make sense if its losing you a bunch of premium priced seats, but I think the upside to having a load of footage of the event, with big flashy colours and pyro that you could use for years on promotional stuff is a good compromise for a few events per year.

• 11 months later...